New here: Update 4+ weeks post op BSSO

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shiryu

New here: Update 4+ weeks post op BSSO

#1 Post by shiryu »

Hi all, i am new here, this is my second post. I have some questions and also just want to share my experience.

I had misaligned teeth with some underbite, got my braces in Jan this year and had my surgery end of September. The surgery went well and i didn't have to be wired shut, i did have a splint which i kept on for 2 weeks. Here is the timeline till now:

1. Surgery
2. Week one, surgeon visit to check on splint and stitches (note i looked like the nutty prof)
3. Week two, splint was removed i was allowed to "soft chew" (mac and cheese, basically nothing that you can't swollow"
4. Week four, follow up x-rays looking good, allowed to go on regular diet but nothing too hard or have to tear (no steak, hard meats, apple, carrot, pizza crust, etc)

Now after reading many people's experience i am surprised that i am back on a "regular diet" only after 4 weeks??? I am so worried about relapse or regression, but i guess Doctor knows best?

I look in the mirror every day and bite down, i can't help noticing a few mm off the midline, then when i bite down again it is ok. I have never had a normal bite so not sure how it should feel but is it normal that when you bite down occasionally you do not meet in the midline? (two front teeth bottom and up). But most of the time it does meet. How do i determine the correct bite? Biting down so the back teeth touch? or no?

But all in all i am quite pleased with the results, my lips are still rather huge for some reason, i think they could be due to the braces pushing them out? or maybe i am still a little swollen?

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Shiryu, it sounds like you are doing great. Don't worry about being back on a regular diet too soon, just go ahead and enjoy it! I also got back on regular food pretty quick. Basically, I was told "eat whatever you want, just as long as it doesn't cause any pain!"

As for your bite, I wouldn't worry because you are still getting used to it. And your ortho may still have a few things to fine tune. And yes, your lips could very well still be swollen. Sometimes it takes months for the swelling to go down.

gatorseh

#3 Post by gatorseh »

ohmyjaw wrote:Hi Shiryu, it sounds like you are doing great. Don't worry about being back on a regular diet too soon, just go ahead and enjoy it! I also got back on regular food pretty quick. Basically, I was told "eat whatever you want, just as long as it doesn't cause any pain!"
Friday is six weeks for me and I was given the same advice by my surgeon in regards to eating. Don't worry- your surgeon knows what he or she is doing and what has worked for them in past surgeries. Go enjoy that food! I am jealous you get to do it two weeks earlier than me!