Second Surgery Update

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kaycee

Second Surgery Update

#1 Post by kaycee »

My second surgery will be November 12th. I met with both doctors (OS and OD) last night for over an hour and it was determined that we would go ahead with the correction to my midline. My maxilla will be moved to the right by 3 millimeters, mandible by 4 millimeters with a slight rotation so that my final bite will have a better fit. My OS said the procedure wouldn't take as long as before. He commented that my bones had healed quite nicely; it was one thing he wouldn't have to worry about next time around. Maybe it was all that ice-cream I ate, you know, calcium? :wink:

Now I just have to get myself in preparation mode.

kaycee

kaycee

#2 Post by kaycee »

Well everything went very well with the redo last week and it seems like everything is less: less overall discomfort and less swelling. This time I am on a soft chew diet rather than the all liquid diet from round one. I was all ready for the liquid diet, but I'm sure I can notch it up a bit! (Can you tell I've been watching the Food Network?) I am off the narcotics, only taking tylenol as needed.

Last time, I had a very hard time with managing food in my mouth, not so this time. I don't have any additional numbness in my mouth, so I think that is making all the difference. It was also very painful to eat after the first go-round, again, not so this time. The only real difference is that I have complete numbness from my upper lip to the tops of my cheeks, including my nose.

Oh, I have a black eye this time! Apparently the OS had a hard time getting the screws off on one side, hence the black eye. :wink:

Prior to surgery, I was still experiencing problems with ROM. Not sure when, but I will be starting physical therapy at some point.

kaycee

ema27

#3 Post by ema27 »

So glad everything went well kayce-best wishes..-2nd time is no way near as bad...? take you word for it !!!LOL
Take care..

kaycee

#4 Post by kaycee »

Thanks Meryaten and ema27.

Both orthodontist and oral surgeon are pleased with the results and I start physical therapy in two weeks.

Finally something to get excited about! :wink:

kaycee