On the other side

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OzzysMom

On the other side

#1 Post by OzzysMom »

Well, I made it! Still very much out of it so I won´t make a lot of sense now. Just wanted to check in and say hi. Surgery went well. my lefort1 was impacted 6mm, had bsso, sliding genio, turbanectomies and partial septioplasty. I´ll be back when I´m feeling better. Thanks all
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

fromjersey

#2 Post by fromjersey »

Great. Have been waiting to hear from you. Get back to us when you can. Sleep tight.
Helen

Smiletagious:o)

#3 Post by Smiletagious:o) »

Hi OzzysMom,
Good to hear your surgery went well. Sending you lots of healing thoughts :D Take care
Emma

chicago29

#4 Post by chicago29 »

Congratulations OzzysMom!!! Glad to hear everything went well. Best wishes in your recovery.

If I recall I think you had this done in Costa Rica?? I hope you get to enjoy the scenery somewhat...it is supposed to be beautiful down there.

Take Care
Chicago29

phil

#5 Post by phil »

Congratulations! YOU DID IT!

Here's to a quick and uneventful recovery.

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

ema27

#6 Post by ema27 »

congrats its all over now!hope you get a nice smooth easy recovery...look forward to hearing from you once more..when your feeling up to it... :D

indecisive1

#7 Post by indecisive1 »

Congratulations! Great to hear you're on the other side now. Make sure u get lots of r & r. Look forward to hearing from you soon...thinking of you!

Audra

#8 Post by Audra »

Congratulations on making it to the other side. I hope you have a smooth recovery. Can't wait to hear your story.

audra

Steph-in-WI

#9 Post by Steph-in-WI »

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing your updates!
See my complete braces and jaw surgery story at www.mycorrectivejawsurgery.blogspot.com

OzzysMom

#10 Post by OzzysMom »

Thanks for all the well-wishes. I am now 5 days post-op and for the first time I am feeling human again. My surgeon is very pleased with my results. The surgery took 4 hours and the stay in the hospital was actually pleasant to my surprise. I have a blog I will update soon for those who want all the details.

For the first time in my life I am able to breathe through my nose and what a great feeling it is! Overall, my recovery is going well. I still don´t recognize the girl in the mirror though.

I am receiving the best care here in Costa Rica. If anyone is considering medical tourism it is definitely the way to go. I am very pleased!!!
I had a follow-up with my surgeon today and he said I am healing better than expected for 5 days. I believe all those taking care of me are the best in the world!

Yes, I do have pics which I am taking every day and I will post them when I am back home in a week. There is even a pic of me right before I was taken to the operating room. I was obviously feeling high from the medication and was laughing and covering my mouth......well, I can say that habit of covering my mouth to hide my gums when I laugh is definitely a thing of the past....and a habit that I won´t have any trouble breaking :D
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

Andantae

#11 Post by Andantae »

Hi OM!

So happy to hear everything went so well! It is my personal opinion that that "girl is the mirror" is going to soon be not only recognizable, but will now have symmetry and add balance to an already attractive face! No more covering your mouth indeed----You will be looking for reasons to smile and have plenty of them! :D

Good for you for being able to breathe through your nose. I can't imagine how wonderful that must feel.

Glad too to hear that your Costa Rica experience is so positive. When do you fly back?

Andi
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

OzzysMom

#12 Post by OzzysMom »

Andi-thanks and I will be flying home on Monday.

I forgot to mention that my splint was taken out right after surgery and I am not banded either. That could change by my last follow-up though.

Does anyone know of the best way to start brushing your teeth? Even with my baby toothbrush I am only able to brush the teeth in the front.

Aside from that, I am healing well. Today I was able to do quite a bit of walking and the people here who arranged my surgery were kind enough to take me to a nice place for dessert........the mousse was really good!!!

I watched the movie Shrek the third today and feel a strange affinity with my face and the characters from that movie LOL

Every day gets better!

FuzzyPants

#13 Post by FuzzyPants »

OzzysMom,

It's great that you are up and around. We can't wait to see your photos. Good news about the splint too! Enjoy the rest of your stay in Costa Rica.
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

kaycee

#14 Post by kaycee »

Hi OM,

So glad to hear everything went well. Tooth brushing is very interesting isn't it? Especially when you probably can't feel your mouth. I remember getting the toothbrush caught in my mouth while trying to brush the backs of my teeth.

How is your numbness?

kaycee

OzzysMom

#15 Post by OzzysMom »

You guys are right, the tooth brushing does get a little easier each day. I actually have pretty good feeling in most of my mouth, it´s just my lower lip and chin that are really numb.

The main problem I am having now is that I think I need to retrain my muscles and tongue with swallowing now that I have new jaws.
I feel like my tongue is crushing my palate and I am swallowing too hard. I think I need to place my tongue somewhere else when swallowing.
Anyone else felt this way or have some advise?
Thanks