Smiletagious Is Back From Surgery! With Pics!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Smiletagious:o)

Smiletagious Is Back From Surgery! With Pics!

#1 Post by Smiletagious:o) »

Hi everybody!
I am back from my jaw surgery. I had a lower jaw advancement/BSSO (approx 7 or 8 mm), and my wisdom tooth in the top right hand side of my jaw was taken out (I don’t have one on the left side).

Short Version:

Well I had my surgery yesterday, Tuesday Oct 7th. I was in theatre at 8am and being woken up in recovery at 9:55am. Everything went well, according to my surgeon I have less than the average swelling, which is good. The nurses were all wonderful. It is now 6:00pm and I have been home for about 6 hours.

Detailed Version: (sorry this is so long but I didn’t want to forget anything)

After not having much sleep the night before, I woke up at 4:30, and got ready to go to hospital. We arrived at the hospital early at about 6:15am. I was soooo hungry I started feeling sick, so I had to take a walk in the cool fresh air before we went into the hospital. I checked in, and was taken to my room to relax for a while before my surgery. My surgery was first for the day, at 8:00am. The nurse got all my details, and gave me a gown to put on and asked me to hop into bed. The next nurse came in and asked some more questions, then took my blood pressure and temperature. About 20 minutes to 8:00am I went to the toilet, and the nurse asked me to get under the warm blankets that she had put onto the bed, so I would be nice and warm when I went to theatre. A few minutes after this the anaesthetist came to have a chat and I told him I was worried about being sick after the anaesthetic. He told me that this usually only occurs in about 15% of cases, and that they would give me some anti-nausea medication to reduce the chance of me being sick, as they don’t want the patient to be sick, either!

A few minutes after this I said goodbye to my mum and sister and I was wheeled into the 'holding bay' before going into theatre. The anaesthetist put the needle in my arm that the anaesthetic would go in to, and also for the drip as well. I was then greeted by lots of different faces that would be there during my surgery, including the nurse that I met at my last appointment with the surgeon. I was then wheeled into the theatre at 8:00am, a very bright and sterile environment, but lots of friendly faces. I had to scoot over to the cold operating table with my warm blankets still over me, and feel the edges of the table with my hands to make sure I was in the middle. Then the anaesthetist put morphine in my drip, making my body feel really heavy, and a few seconds after that I had a mask put over my mouth and nose and he said to ‘have a nice sleep’.

After this I remember waking up and hearing everything the people around me were saying, I was in recovery and I had woken up at 9:55am. I found it very hard to keep my eyes open, I wanted to look around but every time I tried everything kept moving. Then somebody told me to turn my head (it was on one side) and to close my eyes and have a little sleep. The next thing I remember was going back to my room, I looked at the clock and it was about 10:20am. I already had a beautiful bunch of flowers in my room, they were from my orthodontist, how sweet! I slept on and off for a little bit until 11:00am, when my mum and sister came to see me. They left at about 12:30 because they thought I would get more sleep if I wasn’t trying to stay awake for them. So I did get some sleep on and off, but it was really weird, as I would feel like I had slept for half an hour or more, and I would look at the clock, and it would have only been 5 minutes!

The nurses then cleaned me up, and were going to put me in my pajamas, but then when I leant forward I still had blood oozing out of my mouth, and they didn’t want to make more washing for my mum, so they just put me in a fresh hospital gown. After some more sleep I had some water, out of a small glass, and I mastered that very quickly, which was good. I also had some apple and orange juice. At about 4:00, some small tubs of yoghurt, jelly and ice cream were given to me. Not so much success with these, I eventually got them down, but had to suck them off the spoon to get them past the elastics in my mouth - I’m sure this would be really funny to watch!

And at regular intervals the nurses would come and change my icepacks in my little elastic thing around my head, oh, and apparently my hair was too clean, as the elastic thing kept slipping off!! I was hooked up to an IV for fluids, through the same tube in my arm as the one used in surgery, BUT every time I bent my arm, the machine would keep beeping! It turned out that the needle was placed too close to the inside bend in my elbow, so every time I bent it (trying to eat, touch my face, drink, etc), the drip could not continue to pump the liquid through, and so it would beep until a nurse came to fix it. Eventually, before I went to sleep for the night, the nurse put a plastic tray sort of thing under my elbow, and bandaged around it so that I wouldn’t be able to bend it. I was surprised that after all the fluids pumping through me, and all the drinks that I had (three small glasses of water, two of apple juice and one of orange juice), I only needed to go the toilet at around 6:00 or 6:30pm! But when I did, I wasn’t sure if it was going to stop!! After the first time I went to the toilet, I kept needing to go about every hour or two, the only annoying thing was the nurses would have to come and unhook me from the machines so I could go (blood pressure cuff on arm, clip on finger, and the IV). One nurse did leave me connected to the IV and I walked with it, though that only happened once.

I woke up a few times during the night, but overall I slept pretty well. I was also getting antibiotics through my IV as well. From the time that I got out of surgery, the nurses would check on me and ask if I had any pain, or to rate my pain between one and ten, but I didn’t have any! It was only at around 11:00pm that my jaw started to ache, so I was given some tablets to get rid of the pain, and another tablet to help me sleep a bit better. I woke up at about 6:00am, dozed for a little bit, went to the toilet, and then turned my TV on for a little while. I drank some more water and apple juice.

The surgeon came to see me at around this time, and informed me that everything went really well, and that he thought my swelling looked good, less than the average. He asked me what I had been drinking/eating, and seemed pretty impressed. He gave me some pages of post-op instructions, and an appointment for the first post-op checkup (Friday 17th Oct). He then said that I could go home this morning, and that he would get my scripts filled and then I could go. Then I flicked through a couple of magazines that I had with me, this was around 7:00am, and my mum and sister had just arrived as they knew I was getting discharged in the morning. They could have waited a couple more hours, but they didn’t want to get stuck in traffic. At about 7:30am, some breakfast was brought up for me, which included a jug of chocolate milk, some fruit yoghurt, some custard, some pureed apple, and apple juice! I ate all of it, except for the apple juice and puree, as I didn’t think they would mix well with the dairy.

A nurse came and disconnected me from all of the machines so I could go to the toilet and have shower, but didn’t worry about reconnecting them when I came back. The shower was a bit of a problem, though, as the hospital I went to is undergoing renovations/upgrades at the moment (my surgery was done in a brand new theatre), and the water was on ‘rations’ for a short amount of time. This time happened to be when I was going to have a shower, no water came out, and then brown water came out!! Needless to say, I did not have shower, but I freshened up with a few face wipes that I had packed in my bag. When the water was all back to normal, the nurse said I could go and have a shower, but I didn’t bother because I was going home soon and would prefer to have a shower at home. I got dressed after I ate (so I didn’t have to mess up my clothes - lots of dribbled custard and yoghurt), and then a nurse came and gave me an antibiotic tablet to take, took the tube thing out of my arm (ouch!! It looks like my arm has been waxed in that small patch, lol), and said that we were just waiting for the scripts to be filled, and that we could go and wait in the patient/visitor lounge room. So we waited in there for a little while, and after we got the scripts we went home.

I am VERY HAPPY to report that I did not experience any nausea at all, and I already have almost all feeling back, the only place that feels numb is a small vertical line between the bottom of my lower lip and my chin. I had been mostly all numb at the hospital, but since about 1:00pm today, I have had lots of tingling and pins and needles, and all the rest of the feeling has come back except for that small area I just described.
Overall my surgery experience was very good, I’m a little bit sore but have been keeping on top of my medications and resting when I need to.
Hopefully I will update this in the next few days as I recover more, and I will also have some photos to add when I get them onto the computer.
Take care everybody and best wishes to those of you with upcoming surgeries!

Emma :D :D :D
Last edited by Smiletagious:o) on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerry

#2 Post by Kerry »

hi there !

congratulations to you!! bet your glad its all over with and can now look forward to those braces being removed in a couple of months hey !

Im still a way off yet but was so glad to see your story because im due to have the same surgery BSSO advancment and possibly a similar mm too. do you have pics of before ?

Anyway well done and wosh you a speedy recovery, cant wait to get mine over and done with now :)
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

I am so happy to hear that everything went so well for you. Can't wait to see some pictures.

#4 Post by Smiletagious:o) »

Aw thanks guys, I was so focused on the actual surgery and the recovery that I forgot about the results, lol :lol:

I think it looks pretty good, it's hard to tell with all the swelling (which has increased since I left hospital so not sure if it's less than average now!!) It feels really wierd for my top and bottom teeth to touch, without me having to move my jaw forward. My midline is a bit off now on the bottom, but hopefully this can be fixed orthodontically. The surgeon told me yesterday that my bite would keep changing, and it has! Every time I bite down it feels a bit different. He also asked me to open my jaws yesterday (with the elastics in), I think this was to make sure that I would be able to get tablets down once I got home. I can open them about 1cm apart, to squeeze tablets in, but those elastics are so tight!!

Oh, and my method of sucking food off a spoon, not sure if it's so effective, lol :D Mum made me some jelly last night, and every time I tried to suck it off the spoon, it was a bit too solid to it ended up being sucked straight down my throat, haha. So I mixed it with some ice cream to make it more runny, and this made it alot easier. Last night for tea I had some runny mashed potato, pumpkin and sweet potato with a little bit of tuna, although I think more went out of my mouth than in! I have been rinsing with mint flavored Cepacol, an anti-bacterial mouthwash, but it's really hard! I can feel the top half of inside my mouth, but not really the bottom part. So I ended up dipping my little baby toothbrush into the cap of mouthwash, and brushing where I could, and then using the mouthwash to swish around. I don't want to think about how my tongue and the lingual sides of my teeth are going to look/feel when the elastics come off!!

And just a weird little story: Has anybody heard of how people who get an arm or leg amputated get 'phantom' feelings/sensations like it's still there? Well last night as I was going to sleep, once I was relaxed I noticed my lip was tingling, pins and needles feeling, which has been happening every now and then since yesterday afternoon. BUT I also felt like my two front teeth were resting on my lower lip, just like they used to!!! I had to actually touch my lip to check if the teeth were touching it, and they weren't! It was really weird, I told my mum this morning and she laughed, I think she thought it was the drugs talking, lol

Anyway I better get back to my breakfast (banana, ice cream and Ensure smoothie) and I will update again later hopefully with some pics, I just have to find the cable for my camera, I packed everything away before I went to hospital and now I'm not sure where it is :oops:

Emma :D

Monroeski

#5 Post by Monroeski »

Out of the hospital the next morning? Low swelling? Most of the feeling back already?

God, that sounds great. I think instead of reading other people's accounts and searching the web for surgery stories, I'm just going to keep reading this one over and over until my big day (next Wednesday, the 15th).

#6 Post by Smiletagious:o) »

Hi everybody,
Just thought I would post some photos for you all:

Before Surgery: the third one here is me showing my hooks - I was holding my lower jaw forward.
Image Image Image

Right Side Before Surgery:
Image Image

Left Side Before Surgery:
Image Image

Morning of Surgery (Day 1) and The Next Day After Surgery (Day 2)
Image Image

Flowers From My Orthodontist:
Image Image

Day 2 At Home:
Image Image

My Elastics and Toothbrush:
Image Image

Day 3 and my Bruised Lip - Has anyone else had bruises like this? I think it may have been from my lip being held by something during surgery?
Image Image

There you go, hope you like them! I'm going to try and take a photo of myself every day without the headband and ice on, to keep track of my swelling.

Oh, and I am soooo glad a bought a blender a while back, it has been a godsend! I had for breakfast: two weetbix blended with milk and vanilla Sustagen, and a banana and Ensure smoothie. Lunch: Blended creamy chicken soup, and vanilla custard, yum!

I will update again soon,

~danielle~

#7 Post by ~danielle~ »

Sounds like everything is going pretty well :) I would also agree that your swelling doesnt look too bad- mine was A LOT worse!

About the sort of strange looking bruise on your lip- I got one that looked like that too(only smaller), but mine was on the outside of my top lip. (I had lower advancement like you)... It mostly went away but did leave a faint scar- not that that will matter to you since it was on the inside of your mouth. I was thinking it was maybe from one of the things holding my lips open during surgery or maybe even being nicked by one of those cauterizing scalpel things if they were used? no clue though really :?

Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

phil

#8 Post by phil »

Congratulations on a successful surgery!

Be sure to continue to take care of yourself with proper rest, nutrition, and light exercise (a nice gentle walk would be good) when you are ready.

So glad that everything is going well for you.

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

#9 Post by Smiletagious:o) »

Thanks everybody, I'm feeling really good, I haven't felt hungry yet, havent lost any weight yet either, so I must be getting enough food in! My post-op instructions said to weigh myself everyday for the first week or two, to make sure that I wasn't losing too much. I have been outside in the backyard a few times, just for a little while each time, as I get a little wobbly on my feet when I've been sitting for a while. Our dog (in my avatar) has been very good, he has been careful around me, not jumping around at all, I think he knows because I'm not running around with him like I usually do that he has to be careful :D He came inside yesterday afternoon, and I couldn't figure out why he was so intent on smelling my pyjamas, until I realised that's where I had spilt my custard!!

My swelling has slowly gone down a little bit since yesterday morning, this photo is from yesterday late afternoon:

My sleeping has been really good, the first night home from hospital I slept from about 9:30pm to 6:30am, and only woke up once, to take some tablets, have a drink, use the toilet, and change the ice packs.

Last night I put an extra (bigger) icepack on in my headband thing, to try and keep the little ice packs cold for a bit longer overnight. I think this put too much weight in the front of my face, and I woke up with really swollen lips, especially the lower one!! I think my face was leaning forward too much because of the extra weight. I have been sitting with my head back since I got up this morning (around 7am) and the extra swelling in my lip is slowly moving elsewhere :D

Here is a photo of me when I woke up this morning with very fat lips!

And I tried to take profile pics from each side, they look a bit weird though because of the swollen lips :lol:
Image Image

Monroeski - best wishes for your surgery, I'm sure it will go smoothly :D

Thanks again everybody and I will update again soon :D :wink: :D

loulou123

#10 Post by loulou123 »

Congratulations on joining the other side :D glad to hear you feel it hasnt been to bad.

I had some pretty nasty bruises and cuts on my lips, again im guessing from whatever they use to keep your mouth open.

Hope it all continues to go so well.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

FuzzyPants

#11 Post by FuzzyPants »

It sounds like you are doing really well now. I'm glad that you didn't experience very much numbness - that really helps with being able to eat and drink. Your bite looks great too.
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

Kerry

#12 Post by Kerry »

aww i cant see the pics at work will have to look when i get home :)
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

#13 Post by Smiletagious:o) »

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement! I am still tired every now and then I feel my eyes closing on me, lol then I know I need to sleep. Getting a little frustrated now, every time I sleep I wake up with a fat lip! I guess I'll have to experiment with sleeping another way (I've been sleeping sitting upright).

My swelling is slowly continuing to go down, here is a pic from Friday afternoon (yesterday) and one from Saturday afternoon (today):

Image Image

Just starting to get a slight yellow bruising as well, it's hard to see in the pic though :D

Take care

#14 Post by Smiletagious:o) »

Hi everyone,
Thought I would post another update:
Here are some pics for you, from Sunday (left) and Monday (today). My swelling is still slowly going down, which I am very happy about!
Image Image

I have lost a little bit of weight now, about 2kgs, hoping not to lose much more, just trying to eat as much as I can. The other night my family had fish and chips for dinner, and I managed to eat about half a piece of grilled fish, one tiny piece at a time. It was good to have something that wasn't liquid or mush! I tried this last night with some chicken which was yummy! I've been having a lot of mushy potato, flavoured with different things for dinner, with pumpkin or another type of vege as well. Having a few milk drinks as well throughout the day, as well as a few serves of fruit. Lunch is usually some blended soup, and then there are the snacks in between! It can be time consuming to eat, and then clean my teeth, sometimes it feels like as soon as I've eaten and cleaned my teeth, it's time for me to eat again!! Oh well. I'm looking forward to my first post-op visit on Friday, where I believe I will be shown how to take my elastics on and off, to make it easier to eat and clean my teeth :D

I woke up this morning and I didn't have the extra swelling like I have had the past few days, so I think it was just a temporary thing :wink:

Emma :D :D

Steph-in-WI

#15 Post by Steph-in-WI »

Looking great, Emma ... it looks like your swelling is coming down nicely :D
See my complete braces and jaw surgery story at www.mycorrectivejawsurgery.blogspot.com