time off work

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

candycin

time off work

#1 Post by candycin »

i am having my second sets of moulds done on monday and then after they get shipped to the surgeon i will get a date for surgery.
i am having both lower and upper jaw done
how long should i take off work? I have a home daycare so i have a house full of kids. I was told two weeks by the dr but wanted to see what other people say that have actually had the sugery done
thanks'

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

I had both jaws done and I could have worked after two weeks, if I had to. (I was unemployed at the time). But three weeks would have been ideal. I would have been fine at two weeks, but I had problems when I stopped taking morphine for pain - I couldn't sleep! So I was exhausted. Of course, this is what happens when you take morphine for a while. Your body goes through withdrawl when you stop.

Anyways, if you are running a daycare on your own, I would say take three weeks if you can, just to be on the safe side!

Andantae

#3 Post by Andantae »

Hi Candycin~

I would plan on 3 weeks, too. If you are feeling better, great, but it's nice to have the extra time in case you do need it.

One thing to consider which impacted me a great deal were all the weight lifting restrictions. First 3 weeks, I think I could only lift 10 lbs, by next post op check up it was 20, then 30 lbs. I live on a farm and was amazed at how much I lift/carry in a given day not to mention just a bag of groceries or a basket of clothes a picking up a cat or dog.

I don't know the ages of the children in your daycare, but that might be something to keep in mind, too!
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

Thathrill

#4 Post by Thathrill »

I only had BSSO set back and I took 2 weeks off as I had to go back to work unfortunately. I wish I could have had at least 3 weeks. Pain and strength wise, I was fine in the second week but having an extra 3rd week would have been nice.

Since you are having more done, Id say 3-4weeks should be sufficient. I tend to heal fairly quickly
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

badbite

#5 Post by badbite »

candycin, I have not had my surgery yet, but I will need at least upper advancement, and I am not sure about lower yet. I went to the OS today who said "soon". My next appointment will be in January and I am hoping to have surgery by next summer if things go well.

I do home daycare in my home and am worried about taking time off. I would love to hear about your expereince doing daycare after surgery. I feel that no one understands the stresses of home daycare except others who are doing it themselves. I know it is very hard to get time off. I will not get paid, and I am worried that after taking three weeks off I will get any kids back (that is along time to find temp. daycare). PM me anytime.

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008