My Turn!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steph-in-WI

#16 Post by Steph-in-WI »

Congratulations! For all you've had done, it sounds like things are going very well! You are lucky that you are not swelling up to bad ... mine was crazy out of control, I even started swelling up during surgery. Looking forward to reading your updates as you recover :)
See my complete braces and jaw surgery story at www.mycorrectivejawsurgery.blogspot.com

Andantae

#17 Post by Andantae »

Wow---you are doing great!

Do they have you in that nebulizer mask to help with your sore throat? I had a hard time with that thing and eventually disconnected it myself, but I would think it'd be just the ticket to help with a sore throat. Of course, pain meds are also an excellent solution :)

Enough with the nose bleeds already! You don't want those docs coming in and packing your nose NOW for gosh sakes! :wink: You will have to make a point to replenish the iron in your diet (or vitamins) when you get home.

I think I lived on potato soup and corn chowder that first week!
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

Davide

Cheek implants?

#18 Post by Davide »

Just out of curiosity? What do the cheek implants have to do with your surgery? I thought you had surgery to correct your sleep apnea problem. I didn't even know that an oral surgeon was qualified to insert cheek implants.

Davide

#19 Post by Davide »

That's interesting! I have a problem with sleep apnea myself, and at some point I should also have a septoplasty to straighten the cartilage in my left nostril (but I'm already thinking to actually change it into a rhynoplasty for better aesthetic results).
Were the cheek implants covered under your insurance plan or did you have to pay them by yourself considering that they were inserted for aesthetic reasons? And was your OS who actually performed all of your surgeries (including septoplasty and cheek implants)? I mean is an OS qualified or experienced to operate the nose and the cheeks?

Andantae

#20 Post by Andantae »

Hey Seriously--glad you're at home.

In my hospital room I had a plastic shield/mask type thing which fit over my chin and half way up my cheeks held in place with a string of elastic around my head. This was attached to a hose which dispensed moist air upward toward my mouth and nose. I'm assuming it was a nebulizer of some sort to keep throat and nose tissue moist. Evidently, you didn't have it.

Great that you are having pancakes and eggs! Yes, I bet it would be weird not to feel the roof of your mouth. Hope you keep that sore throat at bay. My nurse-anesthetist friend always warned me that one of the most important things for patients post-op is to stay ahead of the pain. Don't wait until you start hurting before you take your meds--then you have to play catch up. Are the meds working?
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.

Steph-in-WI

#21 Post by Steph-in-WI »

I had the nebulizer too ... I forgot about that little detail in the hospital. They wanted me to keep it on to minimize conjestion, but it kept getting in the way of the ice packs.

Seriously, you sound like you're doing very well, besides the sore throat, which hopefully will go away for you soon. I am just amazed that you are eating pancakes, I am so jeleous!! Yum Yum!!
See my complete braces and jaw surgery story at www.mycorrectivejawsurgery.blogspot.com

FuzzyPants

#22 Post by FuzzyPants »

Wow Seriously! You had the works! I'm so glad that it went well and you are at home. Keep us updated.

OzzysMom

#23 Post by OzzysMom »

It's great to see you healing so quickly! Congrats on your results as well. Breathing through your nose and having your lips meet.......that has to be the greatest feeling in the world for you now! Many blessings for a continued quick recovery.
OM
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

Andantae

#24 Post by Andantae »

Great progress, Seriously!

So you can see the stiches across the back of your throat---OUCH!

Isn't it curious how quickly you tire after surgery? THe mind says, 'yes', but the body, not so much.

Glad to hear the nose bleed are subsiding a bit---that's great! And that you are now able to breathe through it!!! :D

Is it too soon to say how you are sleeping?

Andi

iBorg

#25 Post by iBorg »

Its so good to hear another one of the long time posters here is finally at the cross over stage. My turn is coming.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Steph-in-WI

#26 Post by Steph-in-WI »

seriously wrote:No wonder my throat hurts! Stitches all the way across my used to be uvula and soft palate!!!!
Oh, you poor thing! Not something that most of us have to endure while going through orthognathic surgery! I hope it heals up for you quickly so you get some relief.
seriously wrote:And now my lips meet in their resting position. So many new wonderful feelings. This is truly exciting!!
I can so relate! I had quite the lip incompetence myself prior to surgery, and it just amazes me that I sleep now with my lips nicesly resting together as I breath throuh my nose!

Oh, the things some people take for granted that we so appreciate :D

kaycee

#27 Post by kaycee »

seriously,

Glad to hear you're doing so well. Isn't it a wonderful thing to have your lips meet at rest? :lol: And to be on soft chew, good for you. How's the swelling?

kaycee

Braceschris

#28 Post by Braceschris »

How are you doing? Are you still getting a lot of sleep and feel rested more since you have had surgery? Are you thinking about getting another sleepstudy done to see how well the surgery is helping you out?

Chris