QUESTION FOR PEOPLE POST OP BSSO

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kerry

QUESTION FOR PEOPLE POST OP BSSO

#1 Post by Kerry »

How long was it before you looked normal ?

how long before you was eating noodles or even soft chew food such as breasd etc ?

how long is recovery time before your back doing normal things walking around shopping partying ?
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

ema27

#2 Post by ema27 »

Hi kerry everyones different but i will give you my answers based on my BSSO just over a month ago
I am still swollen on the left side up to a point where i get paranoid that people think thats my proper face..(i so hope its not...)My lower jaw still looks like desperate dans witch im confident will go down soon..I probably look normal just dont feel it... :?
I Am eating scrambled eggs,pasta,cereals,fish pie,bread etc and have been for a week.Still a little worried chewing doesnt hurt just feels wierd...
All recovery times are different and will depend on a number of factors health before surgery,level of fitness,diet and pure luck-i was walking around town 2 days after surgery,taking the kids to the park.bear in mind you will probably be pretty swollen so may get a few funny looks...
hope that helped...

Thathrill

#3 Post by Thathrill »

Well most of my swelling was gone by day 10 but almost all swelling was gone by the 5th week. I have very minor swelling on the left but no one really notices it until I point it out.

As far as eating, I was told that I could technically eat a day after surgery but due to my midline issues, I was banded tightly for 5 weeks. After that I was released to eat soft foods. I was originally told that I may be able to eat soft foods 2-4 weeks after surgery but some unexpected complications do happen after surgery.

Walking and shopping weren't very strenuous for me. I went for 30min walks everyday post op. I did not walk the first night at home but did so every night except for 2 nights. I stop going for walks at 2 weeks since I was back at work. As far as feeling like handling the "normal" stuff, I would say I was ready around the 2 week mark. I felt perfectly fine a little over 2 weeks.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

Kerry

#4 Post by Kerry »

Oh thank you guys !

This has given me a better idea of what time i would need off holiday, im sguessing on the safe side maybe 2 at a push 3 weeks if all goes well !

things have come round so quickly for me im probably due to have surgery mid january so really its only 4 months away ! I cant beleive i have been braced already for 7 months.

Im now on the power chains to close my premolar gaps looks like i have about 3mm yet and everything is moving nicely.

My surgeon thought id need my upper jaw tilted but after my last appointment he said that its looking good and theres a possibility i wont need it, I will find out more when my moulds have been re-done.

I SO SO SO SO want to get past the surgery stage, I dotn care if im in braces for a year after that as long as the surgery is done :) least il have a nice bite, nice chin and profile and can get to see what my teeth and face will eventiually look like

:lol: :lol:
thank you

:shock:
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

Andantae

#5 Post by Andantae »

Kerry~

I am so excited for you! I, too, was so looking forward to surgery (or results from it, I should say!) that it far outweighed the anxiety.

I was lucky in that I didn't experience much swelling at all, but I did get some awesome looking bruises! The swelling was mostly gone is about 7-10 days & same with the bruising----and you can always cover that up!

I was on a 'soft chew' diet immediately post op. Meaning I was allowed to eat anything I didn't have to chew and could just mash around with my tongue against my teeth, roof of my mouth---eggs, soups, pastas...

2-3 weeks sounds like a perfect timeframe for recovery. Let us know when you get your date!

Andi
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

Thathrill

#6 Post by Thathrill »

Kerry I totally understand where you are at. I was the same way. I just wanted to get the surgical part over with. Having braces are a piece of cake compared to having surgery lol The worst part for me was the liquid diet for 5 weeks in my case and the dreaded rubber bands to help shift my jaw which I am still working on. If I had to do anything over again, I would want 3 weeks off instead of 2. I didn't necessarily need the 3rd week, but it would have been nice. In my case I had to go back to work.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

Kerry

#7 Post by Kerry »

oh cool, there quite good here in the uk the hospital gave me a sick note for a week after my wisdom teeth where removed so i guess it will be down to what they advise really wont it.

I really want to have surgery mid January, im off to Amsterdam for the weekend on the 9th to the 11th so want to be ok for that but hoping it will be jan so il be ready to go out for my birthday in june :D and holiday in aug/ sept

loulou123

#8 Post by loulou123 »

Hey Kerry, id consider myself to be on the rough side of the recovery process but heres my answers:

Looking normal- hmm hard for me to answer as i had to have the infected plate taken out but on the "good" side id say about 3-4 weeks till the majority of the swelling had gone

Eating-your be surprised by what you can push into your mouth, even if your not allowed to chew it! But i was on a no chew for about 10 weeks-this was due to being tightly banded shut tho, it also depends on your surgeon.

Carrying on as normal-after 11 weeks i flew and went on holiday with no problems, i was walking around the hospital on day 2, tho a bit groggy and from day 4 onwards was able to take little walks to get fresh air etc. People will stare at you, at this stage im afraid, but dont let it put you off going out.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Kerry

#9 Post by Kerry »

thanks lou

Hopefully il get three weekes off work and be ok to go back then if i dont have any problems that is.

Hopefully il have surgery in january time too, so when i do go out for walks i can cover my face with a nice cosy scarf lol

loulou123

#10 Post by loulou123 »

Think i was advised to have 4 weeks off (ended up being more :roll: ) but depends on your job too, i temp as a legal secretary so being able to speak clearly and look presentable was very important.

I had the scarf idea too, as i had my op in feb, but when it came to it, i didnt like anything round my face for a while, dunno why it just freaked me out! Thats just me tho.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

suetemi

#11 Post by suetemi »

loulou123 wrote: Carrying on as normal-after 11 weeks i flew and went on holiday with no problems
Are you not supposed to fly before 11 weeks?

Kerry

#12 Post by Kerry »

if i have surgery in jan i may be going away with work in april if im ok but il book my proper holiday for Aug/September time.

Im hoping soon I will find out more, i hate not knowing i kinda like working to schedules and love planing my year out :-( and this waiting game is putting thigs i want to do off because i dont know whether i should do them just incase it interfers with my surgery date (still unknown)

:cry: i just want to know when il be going for surgery too.. boo hoo :cry: :cry:

kelly J

#13 Post by kelly J »

Hi Kerry,

Me too - just want to get the surgery out of the way - braces I can hack! (Never thought I would say that!) Saw Gavin today - Booked in again for 10th Oct for molds and joint consultation with Gavin and Caroline on the 16th Oct....! Arh!! He thinks op might be End of Nov/Dec depending if Caroline is happy with molds to proceed and list availablity at the hopspital.....

He was talking about recovery today and bringing my mum and hubby to joint appointment and asked how they are with blood ha ha! - thinks I'll have lots of bruising because of pale complextion, mentioned post op depression (nice!).

K xx

Kerry

#14 Post by Kerry »

yeh gavin did say you was ahead of me because your didnt have to have the extractions :cry: I have my next appointment on the 25th September then another one booked after that for the 23rd october Im guess the one after october (nov) will be the the time i get the moulds done then hopefully by I can be booked in for surgery at the end of january.

Im going to amsterdam on the 9th Jan to the 11th

kelly J

#15 Post by kelly J »

Well hopefully you'll go ahead just after your trip and have the winter months to recover!

I've been pushing him a bit as I'm a freelancer - (no work no pay! :( ) and I've got 6-7 weeks with no contracts in Oct/Nov so was hoping it would fall then - if Caroline isn't happy and it doesn't then so be it but I knew I was close....

How are you gaps getting along after the extractions - have you started closing them yet?

Watching everyones recovery on here now to know what I'll be able to do and when - if I do go first I can update you on the gorey details! :shock: