Would anyone mind sharing their post-surgery swelling pics?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dubnobass

Would anyone mind sharing their post-surgery swelling pics?

#1 Post by dubnobass »

Hi gang
I went for my 1 year checkup today, just for a chat about how things were going, and for me to give my surgical team feedback on how I think they could have done things better.

While I was there, they asked me if I would do them a big favour and go along to one of their group sessions and chat to patients who haven't started treatment yet, just to give an honest appraisal of what the whole thing was like. They like my blog and think I'd be useful, and I'm happy to do this.

They also asked if I would let them use some of my swollen post-surgery pictures as examples to use in a leaflet about orthognathic surgery. They think it would be a helpful thing to be able to show to patients in advance of surgery, because a lot of patients (they find) are shocked and upset by the amount of swelling they get, purely because they've never seen anyone else's immediate post-op pics and have absolutely no idea what to expect.

I had the advantage on seeing some of your photos posted on here before my chop, so I knew that "drooling, shiny football-head" was a distinct likelihood - so it didn't bother me when it happened.

I don't mind them using my photos, and said yes. It did occur to me that some of you guys may have some particularly "Woah!!" post-op pictures that you might not mind sharing and being used to help other patients in this way.
I think they would want you to sign a consent form to use the pictures (I will have to do this myself) and as far as I understand, this would be a paper leaflet only given out to patients at a London teaching hospital about to have surgery, not plastered all over the internet or whatever. Ideally I think they'd want:
before, worst-pic-you-have, after
or
worst-pic-you-have and after.

I quite understand if you wouldn't want to, but I said I'd ask, so here I am asking. PM me if you don't want to post here.

Thanks guys!
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

sparkles

#2 Post by sparkles »

LOL I was going to say oh the person whose pics I looked at who had lots of yellow bruising would be good (one that stuck out for me when reading other's blogs when I first came ot this forum) and then clicked on your blog link and realised the person I am thinking about is you!
Really can't help with you search but think your photos would be really good for the leaflet :)

phil

#3 Post by phil »

The only ones I took were from back in June, in my hospital bed, and not very close up. I looked pretty gruesome!

In a way, I do not wish to relive that part of my life!

Best of luck in finding pictures.

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

mannab271

#4 Post by mannab271 »

if you're on myspace.com...I've blogged my experience and have TONS of pics from the day of surgery all the way to today.

www.myspace.com/manna22

you have to request to be my friend to see the pics...and you might have to PM me to let me know it's you so I'll accept.....