Picture slideshow...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chipmunkcheeks

Picture slideshow...

#1 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

this is for all of you worried about how you will look post-op. i made myself physically ill worrying if i was going to like the new me; not post-op care, risk of numbness, infection, etc. etc. LITERALLY, will i like how i will look the rest of my life after 26 years. i mean, that is a big weight to bear, but after going through it, and now being 6 weeks post-op, I wish i had this face and bite especially, my whole life.

Hey everyone,

Yeah, I created a slideshow for the surgeons, so I figured I'd pass on my handywork to all of you. I have to say, I am quite impressed (with my teeth, not the slideshow). Plus, I talked to the other surgeon today, and I have great news! During surgery, they removed 5mm of bone from my upper jaw. Remember how I was told my lower needed 5 more mm, but they couldn't do it because they risked my chin falling off, but in the future I could get a chin implant? Well, it turns out (are you catching on...), they used the 5mm excess from my upper jaw as a bone graft for they 5 mm I was lacking on the lower (doesn't God work in mysterious ways....). So, drumroll please, my chin sits where it should! I guess the surgeons didnt want to tell me this right after surgery because they werent sure if it would take, but last week when I saw the head surgeon and asked about the chin situation all he said was, "it looks like you are going to be fine." So when I talked to the other surgeon tonight, and I asked him about my chin (inquiring minds want to know), he let the cat out of the bag that they literally pushed my chin to within a mm of falling off, did the bone graft with the upper excess and that he too had talked to the head surgeon who said it looked like it was going to work out. Woohooooooooo! I was noticing that my chin sat rather flush with the rest of my face, but I didn't want to get my hopes up in case it was just the swelling and that it was going to go back more when it went down after a few months. I guess and will pray that it will be here to stay!!!!

Lisa

Click below for a slideshow of Lisa's face:

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/ ... 25e93b.pbw

knockuout7788

#2 Post by knockuout7788 »

:) thanks for posting that, your post always makes me feel better! :)

chipmunkcheeks

support

#3 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

we are all here for some support, im glad i can help! good luck!

OzzysMom

#4 Post by OzzysMom »

Wow, that is impressive! Congrats on great results. Thanks for sharing.

ema27

#5 Post by ema27 »

Fantastic results-what a big difference! Congrats you look amazing! :-)o

~danielle~

#6 Post by ~danielle~ »

Wow! An amazing transformation! You look great! thanks for sharing :)

Happysmiler

#7 Post by Happysmiler »

That is a fantastic slide show - you look great, what a transformation, you must be thrilled.
Best Wishes
Happysmiler

suetemi

#8 Post by suetemi »

Lovely slideshow -- my favorite is the shot from below the chin, where you can see the upper teeth pre-op but it gets eclipsed by your chin post-op :D Congrats!

Boy oh boy, you got me excited for my own Lefort and BSSO.

amd

#9 Post by amd »

Lisa, I think your changes have to be some of the most dramatic I've seen. What a difference. You should be very pleased indeed.

great slideshow.
amd
"I suffer from short term memory loss...I think"

yse

#10 Post by yse »

Lisa,
how fantastic! I'm so happy for you.
:D

http://www.chinderella.wordpress.com

chipmunkcheeks

thanks

#11 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

thanks everyone for the support. my other surgeon called at like 9 last night and was just shooting the breeze, and he wanted pix, so i went to compile them on photobucket, which i have never done. and well realized that you cant rearrange them, well i hadnt figured that out. then i noticed if you make a slideshow you can rearrange them. the slideshow really shows a very dramatic change. the surgeon said on the phone its one of the most dramatic changes theyve seen, but i didnt quite grasp it until i completed the slideshow from where i started out to where im at now. thanks to everyone that supported me through this, and i am glad if i can even support one person through their process.

Munkys Girl
Location: Teesside, UK Girlfriend to: a Lefort 1 & BSSO patient!

#12 Post by Munkys Girl »

Your results are really fantastic. I think the slideshow does help show how drastic the changes have been. Congrats for getting through it all! I'm sure you will be inspiration to many still to go through the procedure.

phil

#13 Post by phil »

Great slideshow, Lisa. And even better results!

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

sylvi

#14 Post by sylvi »

Thanks for documenting your experience so thoroughly! Nice results! Just wondering, did any of your doctors do imaging to give you an idea of the dramatic change that was to occur in your appearance?

chipmunkcheeks

:)

#15 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

mery- thanks a lot! i had 2 surgeries, july 07 and july 08. as a teacher, i gave up basically my entire summers, which was worth it...i still cant believe my mouth used to look like that.

sylvi- does "ghetto" digital imaging count? what i mean is that the OD too a profile of my before face, and probably used something like MS Paint to lop off my chin and move it. it was not high quality. it honestly did not give me a clear idea of what i was going to look like and i didnt hold onto that image as something to strive for. i went into saying however i turn out is my own natural ugliness (seriously, you have to laugh through this!) because my face would be proportionate. and honestly, i havent seen a proportionate after face that wasnt 1)beautiful, 2)better than their before, and 3)more functional with the bite (which is what i was going for in the first place). dont set yourself up for disappointment. the positive aesthetic changes were a by product of fixing my dental problems and jaw deformities.