9 weeks POST BSSO & Lefort I--officially with pics

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mannab271

9 weeks POST BSSO & Lefort I--officially with pics

#1 Post by mannab271 »

YIKES! I'm UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!

Surgery went well. OS is VERY happy...I'm not as swollen as they thought I'd get so that's good. Eating is very frustrating and Im VERY sore!! I just want the first week to come and go, and some of the swelling to go away and maybe then I'll be more comfortable.

Today is my first day home, and I'm gonna head back to the couch. pics will hopefully go up soon. I'm just to tired right now.

BUT wanted to give everyone a heads up that SHE'S ALLLLIVE!!!ha ha ha and still have a bit of humor left in me!
Last edited by mannab271 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:50 am, edited 10 times in total.

phil

#2 Post by phil »

mannab271,

Congratulations, you made it!

Remember to use your ice, get as much rest as you can, and proper nutrition.

We will look forward to amazing pics!

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

Thathrill

#3 Post by Thathrill »

WELCOME HOME!!! The days will begin to fly by faster than you know it. The first couple of days go by slow. relax and enjoy the time off.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

ema27

#4 Post by ema27 »

Welcome to the other side mannab271...congrats on getting the surgery out the way...
The first week is the worse-theres no denying it.Are you banded shut? for me that was the worse not being able to talk properly or eat properly.However after the first week things do get better,swelling recedes alittle,your body gets use to not eating what you use to and your energy levels lift a bit..
hang in there-the worse is nearly over.... :D

mannab271

#5 Post by mannab271 »

Thanks for all the well wishes!!! Today was a good day (so far) my first pre op appt was today, and the OS took some bands off (I think I had like 3 on each side) now, I have one on each side and I'm opening my mouth slightly! Swelling is still here, but he said I'm past the worse and it will only go down from here!

The splint on my upper roof of my mouth is kinda funny feeling, but I'm just resting, getting some small exercise and plently of fluids!

I will say this...i'LL NEVER GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN! HA HA

til more....

phil

#6 Post by phil »

mannab271,

Sounds like you're doing a great job on recovery.

Continue the good work!

Be well, and at peace,

Phil

mannab271

I got the BLUES

#7 Post by mannab271 »

So I just wanted to get no here and just vent on my last thread I created. I know I'm over reacting and it's only day 4 but I'm so uncomfortable. My sleeping has increased and I'm sleeping on my side now. (thank god) but my lips are still swollen, my cheeks, chin and upper cheek bones (lefort I and BSSO with bone grafts & rigid fixation) I know I'm doing good I'm just kinda bluesy over here. Wishing the swelling would go down just some more. I'm 28, swf and I'm sitting in my apartment just upset. I guess I didn't think it was going to be THIS tough.

ANYONE have words of wisdom PLEASE?

Thathrill

#8 Post by Thathrill »

I live alone in my apt too. I was very uncomfortable from day 2-5. I took my meds when needed, watched a lot of tv, made milkshakes at night which made me feel better, and went for 30min walks at night so I did not scare anyone with my swollen face. LOL

Hang in there, it went by fast. I couldn't believe how bad I felt on day 5 then feeling great on day 6.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

phil

#9 Post by phil »

mannab271,

Here is my word of wisdom.

Breathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPz3YaIJkjQ

Give it a try.

And know that I'm thinking of you...

Be well, and at peace,

Phil

jawbreaker

#10 Post by jawbreaker »

For me, the first day after surgery was the worst. I felt dizzy for an entire day, couldn't eat, and felt like my jaw was about to drop everytime I stand up and walk. It gets better though, I was able to eat solid food day 2 and was back to normal physically after the second week.

yse

#11 Post by yse »

Well done, you've made it!
My first 6 days were horrendous! :? I wanted my head to be cut off so it could be over and one with...

I hope you're doing ok with food; I thought it was so, so hard getting myself fed. I was constantly hungry.

http://www.chinderella.wordpress.com

Andantae

#12 Post by Andantae »

Hey Mannab271~

Glad you're on other other side, but sorry you were having a rough first 4 days. How are you doing now?

Andi
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

mannab271

#13 Post by mannab271 »

Hey Mannab271~

Glad you're on other other side, but sorry you were having a rough first 4 days. How are you doing now?

Andi
Well today is day 8. And today I feel GREAT! Well minus the fact that I'm still swollen, and can only feel half my face and no part of my chin! ha ha

I do get a tingly sensation in my chin, but when I feel it...it's numb as well...I dont know what to compare being numb too. lol It's just NUMB. Half my nose is numb (MY LEFT) and my left cheekbone area and sinus area is numb, along with my left upperlip. And I only bruised enough to turn yellow under my chin and down my neck.

Everything else..I feel now.

I'm able to get my mouth open a finger width now, and I'm still talking like my face is numb. Does anyone know when speech goes back to normal?

Also, I've got A LOT of congestion. My sinsues are just messed up!! I take sudafed daily and i'm taking ibprofren and using some nasal spray now only when needed.

Soup is SUPER easy for me to eat now...anything that doesn't involve chewing. lol I've tried scrambled eggs, and soup with small soft things like tomato pieces etc and it seems chewing isn't a problem, but since I really can't feel it...once the food manages to get to the others side of my mouth (between the jaw and cheek) I have a problem gettin git back over there b/c I can't open my mouth wide enough to get my tongue inbetween and wiggling lol Anyone know some soft foods that I wont have that problem with?

Seems the worse is over, and slowly I'm going back to normal. I just would like some more feeling and my speech back.

Now that I've been brave enough to peek under my top lip a little (Lefort I) I see that my OS cut my archwire by my canine's where he did some of the cutting and bonegrafting from....My ortho wants to see me next tuesday which my OS said "he's not going to be able to do much" will he want to replace my archwire?? Another question, I have a splint on the upper roof of my mouth wired in will this enable him from replacing my archwire and continuing ortho work until my OS takes the split out (he said 4-6 weeks to support my palate from the expansion)

Ok...seems like a lot of questions....

thanks for everyone's help..

amd

#14 Post by amd »

8 days is still very early yet. I'm 5 weeks post op today and I still find speech difficult. Although I have more numbness than you do from the sounds of it.

For the sinuses, showers and a humidifier help. I'm still having problems clearing my sinuses. At night I use Breath right strips which go over the nose to open the passage up a bit. They help.

My surgical wires were removed at week 4. Didn't hurt. But I didn't have a splint and my elastics were out by week 3. Your ortho my just wire tie between the teeth where the wire is broken. (I'm guessing).

Hang in with the sinus problems. Humidity does help it out.
amd
"I suffer from short term memory loss...I think"

mannab271

#15 Post by mannab271 »

For the sinuses, showers and a humidifier help. I'm still having problems clearing my sinuses. At night I use Breath right strips which go over the nose to open the passage up a bit. They help.
thanks!! I'm gonna go out and buy a humidfier today..

what about swelling...dr said ice til last saturday and now moist heat....seems like there's one area that just wont go down...anything else I can do to help with swelling?