Lip Assymetry (Crooked Lips) post surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lirpa

Lip Assymetry (Crooked Lips) post surgery

#1 Post by Lirpa »

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, or has. I am now 4.5 weeks post-op from an upper/lower/genio. The doctor said my jaw was crooked so he moved one side further by 3mm (or something like that).

Well, now my lips are crooked, meaning they don't line up in the middle. It looks like 1-2 mm between the crease on the top lip and bottom lip. Also, one side of my top lip is "flatter" than the other one, but my whole upper lip is flatter than it was.

Will they eventually even out? How long does it take? This is really bothering me because it is very noticable, even my family has said they do notice it.

This whole experience has been a roller coaster for me. One day I think it's getting better, the next it's worse and I get depressed. I don't want to have plastic surgery, and now I'm starting to doubt that my jaw was even crooked because my upper midline is way off as well, so I fear I may be crooked forever.

Any words of wisdom out there from people who have experienced this would be much appreciated. I already know how bad negative self images are. I have a very positive self image, but I wasn't quite prepared to deal with permanent assymetry.

April

~danielle~

#2 Post by ~danielle~ »

I am about 5.5 weeks post-op from lower jaw advancement with genio and I have noticed the same thing. There is about a 2 mm difference between the crease of my upper and lower lips and my lower midline is off the that side a bit too. My surgeon never mentioned having to move my jaw to the side though. Im hoping it will go away because it's pretty noticeable (especially when my face is relaxed), and I was never warned aout it happening. I will definately be asking my surgeon and orthodontist about it at my next appointment to see if it is permanent or if there is any type of solution.

phil

#3 Post by phil »

Lirpa,

There is something that happens to those of us who undergo orthognathic surgery. I've heard it spoken of more than once on this forum.

Once we've gone through the surgery, we begin to notice every little imperfection on our faces!

It happened to me too.

Maybe some of those changes to your lips really did take place with the surgery, and just maybe some of them were there all the time and you didn't even notice them before.

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

kaycee

#4 Post by kaycee »

Hi April,

I am also about 4.5 weeks post op and have noticed the same thing as you with my lips. Actually it was the oral surgeon who pointed out that my lips weren't lying flat like they should. Both my ortho and OS tell me my lips will correct themselves over time and as the swelling continues to decrease.

kaycee

Lirpa

!!

#5 Post by Lirpa »

Hi! I am just starting to notice that they are looking a little more normal each day. I actually looked through some old pictures and video of myself yesterday and noticed that they have always been a little off. =)

Would you believe I called my surgeon Friday night crying and he met me at his office that night. He calmed me down alot. I can't believe how freaked out I was! Something else I noticed is that my right jaw is higher than the left. But then again I also noticed that they were like that before! He said they don't touch the bottom back part of the jaw.

Eesh. Even my midlines look like they are starting to line up a little more. I guess my gums may be somewhat swollen as well? But regardless I feel better about that today too, because I noticed that Tyra Banks upper midline is way off to the right, and she's beautiful. =)

I am going to post some pictures soon. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of good pre-op profile pictures (I've always hated my profile, and now even more). But that's the least of my worries.

Another good thing is that the numbness in my chin is finally going away. Waiting is the hardest part for me.

April

wumbojumbo11

Re: Lip Assymetry (Crooked Lips) post surgery

#6 Post by wumbojumbo11 »

Did this get better for you? I just had jaw surgery only 2 weeks ago and my bite looks correct but when I open my mouth but my lips go diagonal. Will my face muscles adjust And move to where my jaw is now?