PRE & POST-OP SUPPLY LIST---add your list or ideas

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Andantae

PRE & POST-OP SUPPLY LIST---add your list or ideas

#1 Post by Andantae »

PRE-SURGERY SUPPLY LIST & HOSPITAL PACKING LIST

I'm posting my list again as a separate thread; I wonder if we should ask Lynn to start a sticky note on this as it is such a popular topic?

PRE-SURGERY SUPPLIES**items included in hospital packing list below

zip-n-squeeze**
jaw bra** +
ice-crushed and cubes**
dry erase board**
baby spoon** +
baby toothbrush** +
adult sippee cup**
neck wrap for sleeping upright**
Sleeping upright solution--special pillows, wedge pillow, reclining chair etc
moist warmth jaw wrap heating pad
hemostadt--removing/placing elastics +
bed tray --for laptop/drinks etc
hand mirror** +
suction device**
hydrogen peroxide
probiotic
geritol (liquid vitamin) +
liquid tylenol (children's)
blender/bullet +
protien supplements, boost, ensure etc +
acinaca montana
bromelain
enzymes
books on tape
videos
prescriptions in advance +
##Upper jaw surgeries might consider nasal mists##

HOSPITAL PACKING LIST in addition to ** above

jammies
robe +
slippers
socks & unners +
vasoline, antibiotic ointment
lotion
ear plugs
camera +
adult bib (I actually have some from hosting crab leg dinners)
medications & supplements I currently take
cooler-for ice
insurance card
copy of pre-surgical physical by MD
an extra /zip/button top

What I discovered post-op:

My own personal experience is that in the end, I found I used few of these supplies, but was nice to have them there if I needed them. I placed a + next to the items I used. The hemostat was inexpensive and just the tool for placing elastics on and off, a tweezer works OK, too.

Changing into your own jammies is not easy or very practical since you will wake up attached to IV lines so you might want to skip those if you're not staying in the hospital long.

BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

phil

#2 Post by phil »

Andantae,

What a great list!

I think that a sticky on this topic is a great idea.

You might add things you wouldn't think of to help you feel "at home," such as:

a picture of your loved ones
a small personal item from your own living space
anything else that makes you feel safe and secure (within practical parameters, of course!)

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

amd

#3 Post by amd »

Small hand mirror was crucial - can't feel your mouth so you need to find it somehow!

For those of us with upper jaw surgery:
Breathe Right Strips - helps open the nose when congested. Life saver for me.
Q-tips for cleaning your nose.
Extra Soft kleenex.
Your own pillow. Try a larger fluffy pillow so that you sink into it and less likely to move your head from side to side when sleeping.

This sticky is great. I have someother ideas under July surgery dates wheere I also suggested we have a sticky created.
amd
"I suffer from short term memory loss...I think"

Andantae

#4 Post by Andantae »

Oh yes, AMD! It was you! I was going to reference the July Surgery post as I remembered someone had posted a really great list there, but honestly I was too lazy to go back and read through it all to find out where and who..

Now that we have a specific titile for 'surgical supplies', the search function might work better even if we don't start another sticky. If we share info in one place it's easier to remember where to reference people if they don't find it themselves.

Please add your list and ideas, too! Lynn can always copy all this over into the sticky. Your list included things pertinent to upper jaw mine was only BSSO & chin, so many people looking at upper jaw procedures surgeries would benefit from it!
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

Thathrill

#5 Post by Thathrill »

i know you have vasaline but I would add chapstick. it has been great for my poor bottom lip.

The key for me was underwear after surgery/recovery and in your room. That way you aren't exposing people too much. A robe does the trick also but this way you don't have to put a robe on and off. LOL I also didn't need or use many of those things on the list but its good to be prepared. I say get the basics and be prepared to send someone off to pick up the extras.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

amd

#6 Post by amd »

I agree with Thathrill. Many items I didn't need at the hospital. As it was I brought in two bags!

For example I was told by my os office to bring in my Zip n Squeeze. Well, that was a complete waste as I was completely unable to use it. I was afraid that I would somehow choke trying to use it. Now they are my best friends however, not right after surgery.

Kleenex, Qtips, FACECLOTHS, undies, slippers. Those were my staples. I also was glad to have my own pillow, bar of soap, small mirror and jaw bra with ice packs. The heated pack was not yet allowed while in hospital.

I don't know about anyone else but a good supply of really cold juice was really good. My hospital supplied unlimited access to cold apple juice. I normally hate apple juice and my husband almost fainted when I told him that their apple juice was the best thing I had ever had to drink!!
amd

Emerald

#7 Post by Emerald »

bumping this up as it's useful!
Emerald
I had self-ligating braces for 4 years & 8 months.

I'm now in Hawley retainers for top jaw (during day) and Essix retainers for bottom jaw (at night).

I had Jaw surgery on 14th July 2008

Please see blog for more details:

http://emeraldsdentaldiary.blogspot.com

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

I made this into a sticky for you guys, as requested.

This topic is terrific! I would love to turn it into a new article for the Popular Topics section on the main site.

If you want to add any other pre-surgery (and even post-surgery) tips, that would also be extremely useful. I'll give you guys credit in the article when it's done (it will be a few weeks).

-Lynn
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

kaycee

#9 Post by kaycee »

The hospital gave me a bunch of plastic syringe bottles that I used until some of the numbness receded and could switch to zip-n-squeeze. I too was afraid of choking on food I could neither feel nor taste.

Those plastic measuring things you get at the pharmacy, they're tube shaped. I would measure out my meds and pour them into a small paper drinking cup. I could fold over the top and leave a small bit open for the medicine, otherwise I would end up with it all over my chin.

kaycee

amd

#10 Post by amd »

Adding to Kaycee's comment.

A pill crusher. My post hospital meds were all in pill form and I couldn't swallow it. My hubby bought a pill crusher and then mixed it a bit with water or juice and sucked it up with a syringe.

The thing Kaycee is talking about is a bulb syringe (eye dropper for baby meds) and you can usually find it in the baby isle.
amd

sauerkraut

#11 Post by sauerkraut »

Not something to take, but something to leave behind: all your jewellery.

Perhaps it's obvious to everyone else, but I was surprised when a bossy nurse made me take off my wedding ring just before I was wheeled through to surgery. I've never had to do that for an operation before, and it took a bit of work with soap and water to remove it! Then because it was such short notice I had to leave it in my bedside locker and hope for the best. So next time I'm leaving it at home!

Steph-in-WI

#12 Post by Steph-in-WI »

A bit redundant of what others have said, but below is my official list of supplies I have purchased for my surgery in 8 days (LeForte I, BSSO, and possible genioplasty)...

1) Arnica Montana gel (to reduce bruising/swelling)
2) Bromelain tablets (pineapple extract) reduce swelling
3) L-Glutamine
4) Aquaphor (for lips found in baby section of pharmacy)
5) Zip n Squeeze bags for eating
6) Sippy Cups
7) Baby Spoons
8) Baster (another method of eating if I don't get syringes w/catheter at the hospital)
9) Cool Jaw jaw wrap
See my complete braces and jaw surgery story at www.mycorrectivejawsurgery.blogspot.com

gatorseh

#13 Post by gatorseh »

Where can I buy a jaw bra and a jaw wrap?

And is there a post that details what all these vitamins and supplements do? Which ones should I definitely buy?

Steph-in-WI

#14 Post by Steph-in-WI »

I ordered mine through the zip-n-squeeze http://www.dentakit.com/.

Regarding supplements, I have seen many different posts on this, but the ones I decided to go with are:

Arnical gel (topically only) to reduce bruising and swelling, there is also an oral (I believe sublingual), but I decided to go with external only.

Bromelain to swelling

L-glutamine, an amino acid (in powdered form) - I decided to take this one after seeing a blogger who only used this and had incredible results after surgery, with her swelling going down very rapidly.

Vitamin B1 and B12 I believe are thought to help with nerve rejuvination, both are found in my multivitamins which I get from USANA.

Protein powder (both soy and whey) will help with healing, as the body requires more protein than usual.

Omega-3 (found in fish-oil and flaxseed) is good for your health in general and some claim it helps to reduce swelling.

Others will probably chime in with what they used, just remember to get it cleared by your OS first.
See my complete braces and jaw surgery story at www.mycorrectivejawsurgery.blogspot.com

archangel689

#15 Post by archangel689 »

Things I wish I had in the hospital that I didn't:

1.5 cu mini freezer
additional Cool-Jaw Wraps. The ice packets melt too fast.
more general refreezable ice wraps....

liquid ibuprofin (this is a anti inflammatory as well as for mild pain)
or
liquid naproxen (alleve--this is for bone pain and anti inflammatory)

night time eye mask and ear plugs

ginger ale (helps with upset stomach and is a clear liquid).
gatorade

a portable suction catheter (to suck the flem from your mouth, it was extremely painful for me to swallow so they got me one but it took them a hour or so)

my own food

extra zip and squeeze for other oral max patients.

all of these things would have very valuable, I didn't need a narcotic pain reliever....so it would have been nice to have a milder one which they wouldn't give me.