PRE & POST-OP SUPPLY LIST---add your list or ideas

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lukeaj

Re: PRE & POST-OP SUPPLY LIST---add your list or ideas

#46 Post by lukeaj »

Brilliant list! I found what I needed more than anything was things to break up the days during recovery... So plenty of documentaries! I made the mistake of watching 'An Idiot Abroad' which caused me jaw pain haha.

theman

#47 Post by theman »

[quote="slb1982"]
Carmex chapstick (in round container, so I could apply it with my finger)[/quote]

Seconding this. The only thing that caught me by surprise during the recovery process was the ridiculously dry, chapped lips. Also, apply the Carmex (or bag balm) liberally to the corners of your lips. Those spots decided to break and hurt like hell for the first several days for me.

Corrinne

#48 Post by Corrinne »

I don't think anyone has put this one on... (Sorry if I'm wrong)...

But it is something I have found to be the most useful during my recovery so far

A Neti Pot for nasal irrigation.

If you had a drip going through your nose or it is blocked then it will be useful.

Many people having orthognathic surgery also have some additional sinus treatment (commonly a septoplasty or turbinectomy or rhinoplasty) I had all!

So if you aren't allowed to blow your nose then try nasal irrigation.

It has worked for me, it flushes out all the mucous and blood clots and makes me feel so much less stuffy.

But do check with your doctor that it ok first!
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos

BabyJaws

#49 Post by BabyJaws »

Hello Folks,

This is very useful, my op is in two weeks and i'm just starting to think about what I will need to take to hospital with me as well as things I will need at home when in recovery. I'm so happy I found this forum.

lissybear22

#50 Post by lissybear22 »

It's been a bit since anybody added anything new to this topic, but I wanted to note that it is extremely helpful and useful!!!

I have never used a nettie pot before - but am aware of them and the way they work. Would you recommend that a person become proficient with the use, prior to the orthognathic surgery, if they hoped to use it afterward??

Though I have not yet had the surgery, I was thinking it may also be useful to bring a music playing device... for many people this would be their cell phone. I have a relaxing music application on mine, that I think will help me sleep that night in the hospital.

oimysizex

#51 Post by oimysizex »

This is a VERY informative thread. I don't think you can be too prepared, I'd rather have too many supplies than missing something i really needed.
My surgery isnt too far off and im going to start preparing in the next few weeks/months

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

MeyerLemon

#52 Post by MeyerLemon »

[quote="Corrinne"]I don't think anyone has put this one on... (Sorry if I'm wrong)...

But it is something I have found to be the most useful during my recovery so far

[u][color=#FF0080]A Neti Pot for nasal irrigation. [/color][/u]

But do check with your doctor that it ok first![/quote]

CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR! I just had a consult and asked about a neti pot for this exact reason, and they said absolutely not.

This is a fantastic thread, though. I think. It has actually almost scared me off the idea of surgery, tiny airway or not.

Melusine

#53 Post by Melusine »

I felt so poorly that I didn't get to use hardly anything I brought for the 3+ days I was in the hospital.

I wish I had brought the jaw bra with me, however. Ever since I got home I have been using it, and it is a lifesaver. I think it has helped with my swelling. I've continued to use the jobst face sling as well, hoping that pressure will provide some pain relief as well as continue to keep any swelling down.

Any recommendations on pillows out there? It seems like I can't get comfortable, and when I go to sleep I immediately shift into a side laying position.

Melusine

#54 Post by Melusine »

Oh, I did want to say though - the humidifier is a must have. I didn't think I would need it, but I did. We had two before we moved and they are missing, so my husband got a really nice filter free VICKS brand humidifier (no Vicks in there for us). I love it. I thought a lot of my nasal discomfort at first was just because of the intubation and then not being able to blow my nose, but I actually think a lot of it is numbness and sensation loss, which makes my nose feel tight. The humidifier doesn't help with the numbness directly, but I know it has helped with the upper airway dryness I did have immediately after surgery. Using normal saline spray and vaseline has helped too.

UnevenJAG

#55 Post by UnevenJAG »

Haven't had my surgery yet, but in reading someone's blog who had, she used nighttime nasal strips after her surgery, you know like the ones that help you stop snoring. Apparently in the first week when you're having trouble breathing through your nose at night due to both blockage/swelling, the strips help keep your nasal passages open. In the blog the lady checked it with her doctor if she was ok to use them and he couldn't see why not.
Sounds like a pretty useful one to me.
Also found a great website that sell something called caddy wraps - I'd recommend that immensely.
**Uppers Braced 18/07/2014**
**Bottoms Braced 17/09/2015**
Double Jaw surgery 11th Jan 2017
Blog - http://jacintasjawsurgery.com

gogorick

#56 Post by gogorick »

thanks for all the info guys. If I get surgery this will def help

deathorglory

#57 Post by deathorglory »

How early do you guys think I should start accumulating the surgery care stuff? I'm about 6 months out (surgery supposedly in February?) and have been reading everything I can get my grubby little hands on...!!!!

UnevenJAG

#58 Post by UnevenJAG »

deathorglory I purchased my caddy wrap 4 months ago and my surgery isn't for another year lol! I got a bit ahead of myself but hey at least I'm prepared :-) will look at getting my blender in a few months, thinking of getting the magic bullet
**Uppers Braced 18/07/2014**
**Bottoms Braced 17/09/2015**
Double Jaw surgery 11th Jan 2017
Blog - http://jacintasjawsurgery.com

katsface

#59 Post by katsface »

lukeaj wrote:Brilliant list! I found what I needed more than anything was things to break up the days during recovery... So plenty of documentaries! I made the mistake of watching 'An Idiot Abroad' which caused me jaw pain haha.

Oh my goodness I loved that show. Karl Pilkington is SO sheltered and funny. His logic and reasoning make absolutely no sense, yet you know he has good intentions. Too good.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

katsface

#60 Post by katsface »

I just remembered some advise re: jammies in the hospital.

I was outpatient (23 hour observation) for my SARPE and will have the same for my BSSO. If you're not staying in the hospital, and therefore will not be hooked up to IVs for an extended period, it is worth it to bring PJs with you or at least wear them to the hospital and then put them back on when you're discharged.

I wore comfy sweat pants and a loose button-up top for my SARPE. The nurses said that my sweats looked so comfortable that they wanted a pair. Anyway, I put those clothes back on before leaving the hospital. It was February in Virginia, so it was cold and it was night when I left the hospital so the warm sweats were appropriate.

I'll be bringing proper fleece PJs with me to change into after surgery this time.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!