Chin Numbness?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lirpa

Chin Numbness?

#1 Post by Lirpa »

Hello,

I am now almost 4 weeks post op and the numbness in my chin is really
bothering me.

I would like to take a poll about chin numbness. Please respond. It
will really help me get through this.

1. When was your surgery?
2. Is your chin still numb?
3. If not, when did feeling come back? How gradual was it?

I am reading that this is so common, and for some it never comes back.
My surgeon never mentioned this to me at all. When I mentioned this to
my surgeon he waved my concerns away. I am incredibly disappointed
with the results of my upper/lower/genio to correct my overbite. It is
affecting every aspect of my life in a negative way. I have no upper
lip any more, and my chin protrudes too much. He overcorrected me and
it looks horrible. =(

Thanks for your participation.

April

JayC

#2 Post by JayC »

mychin was more tingly than numb but i guess you could consider it numb but jsut not completely. it took about the 2-3 month mark until everything started to be back to normal in terms of feeling. mind you, after the first 1.5 month mark, you will notice imporvements basically daily. i wouldnt really worry too much until you hit hte 3 month mark with no sensory changes

Emaciated

#3 Post by Emaciated »

1. When was your surgery?
1. November 2007

2. Yes, there is a small spot in the middle that is still numb.

3. n/a

For the record, I love my results and don't care in the slightest about the slight, about-the-size-of-a-quarter, numb spot in my chin. I can easily live with this the rest of my life if it it never does go away. Would do the surgery again even if the numb spot were larger and I was told felling would never return. That's just me though.

chrisk

#4 Post by chrisk »

Hi

1. August 15th will be 2 years

2. Yes, my chin is still numb on the right hand side, and extending up to my lower lip (on the right hand side)

3. I still feel that my numbness is diminishing even this far out from surgery. Either way, it doesn't bother me since the positives from my surgery have outweighed the minor hassle of numbness. Btw, I had upper, lower and genioplasty (upper jaw moved up and forwar 4mm, lower jaw moved forward 9mm and 6mm forward movement on my chin)

phil

Re: Chin Numbness?

#5 Post by phil »

Lirpa wrote: 1. When was your surgery?
Hello, Lirpa.

My BSSO was a year ago.
I still have numbness in my lower lip and chin, partially. More of a prickly feeling.
The sensations are still changing. I would say that the change is very gradual, although at this point I am realistic that I will probably not regain all of my sensation.

What I've begun to notice about body sensation is that there is a whole lot of other stuff that is attached to the sensation in our minds that is not really the sensation itself. I have mostly done this work around pain, but it would work with loss of sensation, or prickliness, I think. So, just observing the different feelings that you're having, and acknowledging them, just for this moment not wishing that they were different, or wondering when they will change, you may discover that your experience will have less power over you, and you can allow yourself to simply accept where your body is for now at this moment.

Also, you might look at my post over here for my response on self-perceptions post-op.

viewtopic.php?t=27213

Disappointment can be difficult to deal with. You will find a way! Don't be afraid to ask for some help from a professional in dealing with your feelings.

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

misiame

#6 Post by misiame »

BSSO on June 10 ...yes, part of my chin and a small part of my lower lip is still numb.

loyaltydeath

#7 Post by loyaltydeath »

1. April 29, 2008
2. No
3. For me i got feeling on 95% of my face within 1 month but my left side of my lip and chin took a month longer. It's now exactly 3 months after surgery and i feel 100% now, even though i felt like crap earlier but its worth it.
"Make your own recovery the first priority in your life."

Andantae

#8 Post by Andantae »

1) June 4 2008

2) Yes

3) My lower lip and chin are still 'numb' but I would define it more like the way jayc describes---I have sensation in all of the area when I touch it, but in varying degrees and tingling/mild 'burning' most of the time in most of the area even when I'm not touching it. In the last couple days the left side of my lip is feeling even less 'thick' than the rest and I'm guessing that that will be the first area to come back completely.

I also feel the way Karl does. The thought occured to me a number of times pre-op that I would never not do this surgery, thereby forfeiting all the benefits from it, in the off chance that I might have some small area of permanent numbness, but that's just me.

However, having said all that, your surgeon shouldn't have minimized the potential for numbness, either. Have you talked to him about your results and what is still likely to change as your swelling subsides? What do your friends and family say? I am 2 months post op and, if my chin were to stay this way, I would say it was overcorrected, too, but I know it's because I still have some swelling AND my molars still need to be moved out on my lower arch. Just my 4 centrals and part of one molar are touching right now which I think would be a malocclusion III-a slight underbite which causes slight lip strain and a 'jutting forward' look to my chin. This should subside as my lower molars get more into place on the arch, improving my bite and eliminating this jutting of my chin. If I thought this was permanent, I would feel the same way you do!

Really, I would talk to him/her about your concerns.
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

Lirpa

#9 Post by Lirpa »

What a difference a few days makes! I have been having lots of tingling and pins and needles and have realized that I am getting some feeling back in my chin.

For those of you experiencing this and freaking out like I am, there are two BIG things that I think have helped me, although it's impossible to know for sure because it could be a coincidence.

1. Buy some NerveFix from Amazon or other online vendor. It is an herbal remedy. I took two pills three times a day for a few days and then moved down to two. I'm about to buy my second bottle. I swear that after a day or two of taking this, I started to feel a lot of tingling and "electricity" that was so bad (good) that it kept me up at night.

2. Facial sensory retraining!! This is a brand new technique that is still being researched but has been clinically proven to have positive results. The gist of is, you basically start tickling the numb area with a cosmetic brush. I use my hair though because it's readily available and it seems to tickle more. When I do this, it really sets off the nerve endings and I immediately start feeling the tingles!! Here is an interesting link regarding this case study: http://jdr.iadrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/86/6/571

I have been so horrified at the thought of chin and lip numbness because I don't want to drool or be embarrassed by having to use a napkin to wipe my chin off at meals! I know for most people this isn't a big deal and they would have elected to have the surgery anyway if they knew they would be completely numb, but I guess everyone's different.

I am actually starting to like the changes I am seeing in my appearance as the days go by and the swelling subsides. I have a few issues that are hopefully temporary such as: my mainlines are slightly to the left, my lips don't line up properly in the middle, one side of my lip is flatter than the other side, my nose is slightly crooked, I now have a gummy smile, I show more gum on one side, and the horizontal cleft in my chin is a LOT more pronounced so that my profile looks terrible. All those things I am prepared to live with, except permanent numbness!!

On a side note, my surgeon has the worst bedside manner I've ever experienced. He's been doing this for 30 years and is quite eccentric. He waves away my concerns and doesn't explain anything. I sure wish I would have gotten second opinions and and done some research before jumping into this. I usually do more research than the average person, but I put so much confidence into this guy.

Thanks for all who participate and for those with supportive comments. I really appreciate it.

phil

#10 Post by phil »

Lirpa,

Sounds like things are going very well for you! Good for you! All the best as you continue to get pricklier and pricklier--you will for a while, you know, and that is just a wonderful signal from your body that the nerves are growing.

On the aside note about your surgeon...ah, wouldn't we all like our surgeons to act more like human beings! Welcome to the club, Lirpa.

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/