Post surgery, midline's off

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yse

Post surgery, midline's off

#1 Post by yse »

Hello all,

I had upper+ lower surgery exactly 4 weeks ago today; everything was fine til 4 days ago. i'm worried about 2 things:

my midline is off and I don't think that was the case right after surgery.

when I swallow, if I don't clench my teeth I have a (very hard to describe) feeling in my upper jaw, as if something was loose. It doesn't hurt but it's very unpleasant.

Any thoughts? My surgeon lives 8 hours away so I can't just op in for a quick chat; last week I had my 3 week post surgery control visit and he said everything was fine!

many thanks :(

suetemi

#2 Post by suetemi »

yse- do you have access to your surgeon via phone or email? maybe it's something you can inquire about via phone message. worth a shot..never know, he might be familiar with the cause of the sensation you're describing.

did you get the feeling back in your jaws?

also, question for Meryaten -- any details on what exactly a non-union entails...err, is that when the maxilla doesn't fuse bone-wise with the skull? I don't see how someone could tell if they had a non-union if their jaws are united with screws/plates anyway? Just curious.

yse

#3 Post by yse »

Hello and thank you for your replies,
I'm going to try and call my surgeon this afternoon, if I can speak clearly enough that is.

Who is Phil and where can I find his story?
Thank you. :(

dubnobass

#4 Post by dubnobass »

4 weeks post-op is far too early to get worried about non-union - at this stage, everyone will have non-union! Bone starts to knit after 6-8 weeks. Ask if you're worried, but you'll probably be told to wait and see.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

Emaciated

Re: Post surgery, midline's off

#5 Post by Emaciated »

yse wrote:Hello all,

I had upper+ lower surgery exactly 4 weeks ago today; everything was fine til 4 days ago. i'm worried about 2 things:

my midline is off and I don't think that was the case right after surgery.
This can happen as your bite settles into itself and becomes more permanent. (I'm told by my ortho.) Mine drifted ever-so-slightly off around the same time as you. (At 2 months actually I guess.) Its still just barely off, but off nonetheless. Once I discussed what repairing it would ential, I decided it wasn't enough of a bother to me to continue wearing the braces to try and fix it. I went with the "Looks fine to me, take 'em off" attitude. But if it bothers you it definitely can be fixed. Here's a related thread about it.
when I swallow, if I don't clench my teeth I have a (very hard to describe) feeling in my upper jaw, as if something was loose. It doesn't hurt but it's very unpleasant.

Any thoughts? My surgeon lives 8 hours away so I can't just op in for a quick chat; last week I had my 3 week post surgery control visit and he said everything was fine!

many thanks :(
To add onto dubnobass, I get these feelings still. Not to the extent I did when I was at a month, but even now, at 8 months I get weird, uncomfortable sensations once in awhile. The last one I noticed was the other night when I made a snorting pig sound for my little girl while reading her a bedtime story about a farm or something. It doesn't hurt, but doesn't feel "right." I also get that slight feeling if I'm upside down on a jungle gym or doing a hand-stand. I would ask about it but wouldn't hit the panic button yet. You have a way to go before things will start feeling totally normal again.

yse

#6 Post by yse »

Thank you all, again.

I called my surgeon and tried to explain everything. He listened carefully, as he always does, and said he wasn't worried about the 'weird feeling'. As to the midline being off, he said he wants to have a look at it, since everything was definitely aligned post surgery. I have a scheduled appointment for Uagust 12th, and when I asked he said it could wait til then.

I'm also noticing that my upper jaw is moving to the right; my teeth meet on the left side, but on the right side the upper teeth hang over the bottom ones. I'm so freaking out! I'm not sure I can wait a whole month before knowing if this is fixable and if so how. going to to try and go in to see a surgeon in my hometown. I'm terrified at the idea of going in for a second surgery, when I know I did nothing to cause what's happening. :cry:

yse

#7 Post by yse »

My midline's off a good 2 millimetres now, and that only took a week since last week it was perfect. I'm going to try get an appointment asap. My bite's also totally off as a result and I'm going insane!