Impacted wisdom teeth

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

funshine

Impacted wisdom teeth

#1 Post by funshine »

Okay...so I've put it off for years and I finally have to get it taken care of.

I went for my oral surgery consult today for my wisdom teeth. Since they're impacted I'm going the "put me to sleep" route.

Anyone got any tips or info on how this goes? Is it as horrible as I think it'll be? *sigh* I'm usually not a chicken, but the thought of this particular thing just freaks me out.

SideKick3QT

#2 Post by SideKick3QT »

Yeah its really fast lol! I was scared out of my wits but I just tried to make as many jokes with the nurse and doctor as I could. So pretty much as soon as they talk to you about the procedure you'll lay back (I would recommend putting on a good amount of lip gloss or chapstick on your lips) they'll check your blood pressure and put the little things on ur chest to keep check of your heart rate. Then they'll prick your arm for the medication and put the little nose thing on you...I think it was oxygen, then they'll inject you with the anesthesia and within like 40 seconds you'll be asleep.

When you wake up everything will be done. Don't be worry if you cry when its over lol it will just be the medication wearing off. You'll be fine. Oh yeah and make sure theres someone helping you that day since youll be so numb and groggy, someone needs to help you eat.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#3 Post by blindboarder2008 »

ohhh ya i know how you feel, i was scared as well, i got all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth out on the 20th of june, this year. ICEPACKS are your friend for the first 24-48 hours. I would recomend the gel ice packs! there alot comfyer on cheeks indeed! I was constantly using them cuz it felt really good on my cheeks! just don't over use them cuz it could start to overchill! I was nervous and scared about getitng sedated but it turned out fine. I brought a friend, my mom and my boyfriend along with me so i was able to have them as my support team! it was great!! when do you get yours taken out?

let me know if you have any questions. Just follow your OS post op instructions after. You'll most likely be in pain the first night or so but the pain meds help! swelling peak the 3rd day and then should slowly get better.

Unfortunately i managed to get a bit of an infection on my left side but it is clearing up now!
Let me know if you have any questions at all!
ps: elevating your head seems to help as well!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Mimmy

#4 Post by Mimmy »

I was put to sleep to have an impacted wisdom tooth out on the bottom left side a few years ago (along with four other back teeth...one of which was growing under my tongue) and the hard bit comes when the local anaesthetic they give you while you're under wears off. I was in agony for two weeks, all I could eat was baby food and painkillers weren't helping. For the record though, I heal really slowly, I had stitches and I later found out that they ended up having to remove a bit of my jaw bone at the same time. Would account for the pain I suppose!

Not trying to make you scared or anything but that was my experience :D
Second time in braces!

Braced on 14th January 2009

Find my braces story here
Click here to visit my blog

funshine

#5 Post by funshine »

blindboarder2008 wrote:when do you get yours taken out?
My appointment is Friday, July 25. I'm guessing I'll be good to go back to work on Monday (?)

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'm still nervous, but at least they gave me a valium to take first. :lol:

ReneG

#6 Post by ReneG »

I was given 8 days off, including the day of removal. I tried to go back to work after five days but the swelling and pain came on strong so I took the rest of it off. I reckon I was up and about too much and also talked a lot (after five days of lounging at home and not having to talk much) AND I didn't take my paracetamol+codeine medication that day since I had to think clearly at work......

To reiterate what the others have said: follow the post op instructions, rest with head elevated and ice pack all the way.
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

funshine

#7 Post by funshine »

Meryaten wrote:So, here's to hoping your experience more closely mirrors mine than the less pleasant experiences related above.
You got that right!

ema27

#8 Post by ema27 »

i Had my wisdoms took out in preperation for my BSSO .i was a little nervous as alot of people had seen this is worse than the BSSO operation itself.
Felt abit low for a couple of days as swelling was quite bad.NOT IN ANY PAIN BUT WAS UNCOMFORTABLE AT TIMES..
Within a week i was fine back to normal -if your job entails alot of talking in my experience you may find it difficult to return after 2 days..However everyones different...Dont worry its not that bad...

funshine

#9 Post by funshine »

This afternoon it started swelling and getting sore. I guess I'll have to call for some antibiotics tomorrow. Dang it. I shouldn't have put it off for so long. Come on 25th. (I never thought I'd hear myself say that!) :?

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#10 Post by blindboarder2008 »

vallium is always fun, they gave that to me when i got to the hospital to help me calm down, i was a nervous reck! sure drugs you up though plus the sedation! works pretty quick as well, but makes for a very easy time. completly calmed me down once they gave it to me and then they gave me the sedation drugs so i had no clue what was going on!!! good luck with your surgery!!! if you have any q's feel free to ask!

ya my wisdom teeth gave me a lot of grief espicially right before my surgery, ibuprofen is your best friend, id get the 400mg one, you'll most likely be on anti biotics afterwards and you'll most likely have prescribed pain killers
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

ReneG

#11 Post by ReneG »

funshine wrote:This afternoon it started swelling and getting sore. I guess I'll have to call for some antibiotics tomorrow. Dang it. I shouldn't have put it off for so long. Come on 25th. (I never thought I'd hear myself say that!) :?
Funny thing is, I've known my impacted wisdom teeth were impacted and in there for a long time. Yet they never bothered me... until it was decided that they would come out and dates were being planned. THEN the gums started to get sore, my whole jaw ached... can anyone say PSYCHOUT?!

Depending on what you do for work, I'd suggest that you take it slow to start with.
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

funshine

#12 Post by funshine »

Psychout is probably right. :lol: I am a graphic designer so I don't have to talk much if I don't want to. I guess I'll just see how it goes as far as when I return to work.