when people don't understand

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

suetemi

when people don't understand

#1 Post by suetemi »

When I've told people about the surgery I will be having, quite a few have responded with comments such as "But why? There's nothing wrong with you, you look fine." or "Is it necessary? It seems like a lot of trouble and pain to go through for a minor cosmetic change." In the past I would launch into my spiel about how it's functional, degenerative, painful, etc. and people would just not get it at all. Or, if I was in a surly mood, I'd respond with something sarcastic like "Oh, I didn't know you were an expert on occlusions." So I've been thinking of an analogy that might help people understand even a tiny bit of why this surgery is so important and necessary.

From now on I'm going to say: Imagine having a large, spiked rock permanently stuck in each of your shoes. You have to walk around with these every day, and it can range from uncomfortable to painful. Eventually it throws off your posture and creates new pains in other areas of your body. Sure, you can get used to this, but it will become worse and worse and your joints and back will hurt. Now, imagine if you could have a surgery where they remove those rocks and replace them with cushioned soles. But for me, instead of walking, it's biting/chewing/smiling/talking. And having jaw surgery will remove those metaphorical rocks from my shoes.

Sound like a fair analogy?

lueyfufu

#2 Post by lueyfufu »

I love it! :)

loulou123

#3 Post by loulou123 »

People used to say that to me "are you sure you really need it doing" etc etc.

I used to tell them that my bite was so bad i risked my jaw dislocating and loosing all my teeth due to damaging them grinding - that soon shut them up!

Seriosly tho dont let others get you down, its your mouth and your choice not theres :D

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Izzygraze

#4 Post by Izzygraze »

I have braces so i just tell people what the doctors told me: If I don't have a surgery then after my braces come off then my teeth will go back to normal and also I could have joint pain in the future.

Noone has really been too uppity about it though.

tbarr15

#5 Post by tbarr15 »

I have run into the same problem

I tell people it is like having one leg longer or shorter than the other. You can get by for a while, but eventually it will lead to more and more problems

suetemi

#6 Post by suetemi »

tbarr15 wrote:I have run into the same problem

I tell people it is like having one leg longer or shorter than the other. You can get by for a while, but eventually it will lead to more and more problems
Hey, that's a much more succinct way to put it. And it's more accurate in the sense that one of my jaws is indeed smaller than the other :)

nyt500

#7 Post by nyt500 »

Hi,

Very interesting post... though I have not commmitted to do anything yet.

Is your situation mostly for cosmetic reasons? I would have to say mine is.. though I would get head aches if my teeth touched. However it really is for cosmetic reasons.

What I just can't get out of my head is why a very prominent and very sincere orthodontist would say something like.. "who told you you need this? You look fine... even if you were in my own family I would tell not to do it.. you really don't need it."

Not too mention the freinds who say "you don't need it"

Yet people made fun of me in my youth.. I am now 45

I bet if my bottom teeth were perfectly straight up.. my over bite would be 9mm or 10mm..

Can 9mm be a borderline case cosmetically speaking?

Thank you

suetemi

#8 Post by suetemi »

nyt500 wrote:
Is your situation mostly for cosmetic reasons?
Well, my bite is cosmetically unappealing but it's because my bite is functionally such a mess. Open bite/over bite/crossbite = headaches, mouth breathing, TMJ, chewing difficulties, eroded teeth. Heres' a couple of pics:

loriawriter

New Here... I'm getting the same responses

#9 Post by loriawriter »

I'm getting the same comments and I'm still pretty new at this. I'm not even sure what I've decided to do with the exception of getting 2nd, 3rd ++ professional opinions.

The posts I've read so far have leaned more towards people managing through the horrendous and often long healing process only to find they are both satisfied with their decision and the results of the surgery.

I'm not looking forward to pain but I think I could deal with quite a bit if I felt confident of a significantly improved final outcome. I was always under the impression that jaw surgery was not very reliable and that it often made matters worse.

I'm soooooo confused. lol.

ohmyjaw

#10 Post by ohmyjaw »

duplicate
Last edited by ohmyjaw on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohmyjaw

#11 Post by ohmyjaw »

loriawriter,

I think you're absolutely doing the right thing by researching and getting several consultations.

Jaw surgery itself has been around for quite some time and is generally very reliable in treating malocclusions. However, whether it's appropriate for you depends on your own personal situation and why you're having it (or considering having it).

Also, the recovery is not always long and/or horrendous. Mine was neither.

Let us know if you have any questions we can help with.