Receding Lower Jaw

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kylesoccer7

Receding Lower Jaw

#1 Post by kylesoccer7 »

Hi, my names kyle

I am 16 years old, and I have already had braces. I got them to fix my overbite, which although is better than before, it is still pretty noticeable. However, I would be fine if that were the only problem. Recently I have discovered that I also have a receding lower jaw. My side profile of my face really causes me to be self conscious, however when I smile or talk my lower jaw comes forward more, but it is still very noticeable. I also have TMJ, and sometimes it hurts more than others, but mostly when i talk for long periods of time, or have to keep my mouth open for a long time (for example when at the dentist for a cleaning, filling, etc). Also, my orthodontist said that he would be able to correct my TMJ, but never has, so I am going to ask him the next time we meet (probably a few months). I have had my braces off for about a year and a half, and must wear the retainer for twelve hours a day, which I do. Also, I have the fixed wire on the back of my lower teeth. My question is, if I were to somehow convince my parents to get this costly surgery (keep in mind, I also am getting a car, and college is coming up in a few years), would dental insurance cover it, would I need braces again, how long would recovery time last, and how much would it cost (a rough estimate to run by my parents)? Sorry for the long post. Oh and on this website http://www.drbonine.com/orthognathic_surgery.html I have a similar case as the person with the 'small lower jaw'. I will try and get up pictures of my side profile in order for someone to determine if I would need just lower jaw surgery or also upper jaw surgery.

Thanks.

badbite

#2 Post by badbite »

Kyle, You need to see an Oral Surgeon. The Oral surgeon will be able to tell you exactly what you need and work up a treament plan with your ortho. Medical insurance may cover it, but not dental. Lots of people on this board have had surgery covered by insurance.

Good luck!

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

ReneG

#3 Post by ReneG »

Hi Kyle,

your case sounds similar to mine in some ways.

I have TMJ pain and associated problems like jaw clicking and pain because I've been posturing my jaw forward for the last 10 years or more of my life. The TMJ problems are receding now that I am consciously correcting the posturing though now I have new problems speaking with my jaw in the 'correct' place.

Not sure about the costs and insurance but the surgeon might want you in braces to align the teeth to an optimal position before surgery and keep you in braces for a while after to finetune your bite after surgery. This is best discussed with the surgeon instead of the orthodontist.

Good luck!
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

kylesoccer7

#4 Post by kylesoccer7 »

badbite wrote:Kyle, You need to see an Oral Surgeon. The Oral surgeon will be able to tell you exactly what you need and work up a treament plan with your ortho. Medical insurance may cover it, but not dental. Lots of people on this board have had surgery covered by insurance.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I think your right and I am probably going to bring it up with my orthodontist on the next visit, and ask him what I should do. Also, I have been thinking a lot lately about chin augmentation (implant), and looking it up online. I think that I also have a sleep disorder, which has in one way or another led to my recessive chin. The only thing is I was pretty depressed through middle school when I had my braces (up until last year as a freshman in highschool), and I had them on for 2 or 3 years, so I really don't want to have to wear them again for another 2 or so years. I guess if that's whats needed then I am willing to do it though.

kylesoccer7

#5 Post by kylesoccer7 »

ReneG wrote:Hi Kyle,

your case sounds similar to mine in some ways.

I have TMJ pain and associated problems like jaw clicking and pain because I've been posturing my jaw forward for the last 10 years or more of my life. The TMJ problems are receding now that I am consciously correcting the posturing though now I have new problems speaking with my jaw in the 'correct' place.

Not sure about the costs and insurance but the surgeon might want you in braces to align the teeth to an optimal position before surgery and keep you in braces for a while after to finetune your bite after surgery. This is best discussed with the surgeon instead of the orthodontist.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! :)

Yeah, I know what you mean with TMJ being a real pain, with the clicking and 'popping' that is sometimes experienced. It's pretty embarassing when I'm talking to a friend or something and jaw 'pops' so I have to almost close my mouth which probably looks pretty funny. That happens pretty rarely though... Also when I'm at the dentist for a cleaning and I have to bite down every 10 minutes or so because my jaw 'pops' and feels out of place.. I wish TMJ was the only thing that I had wrong in terms of my mouth though!

Yeah, about the braces before/after the surgery it's not the answer I was looking for..but I guess if it's what I need, then I'm willing to do it. I'm pretty sure the metal wiring on the back of my lower teeth will complicate this, but I'm sure I can work something out with the surgeon. Ya, I hope the insurance covers it, for the most part anyway. I know my braces were around $2,000 - $3,000 so that was a pretty hefty payment for my parents, and I'm sure they wouldn't be too thrilled with another payment like that! Thanks again for replying so quickly.

(Sorry for the double-post).

loulou123

#6 Post by loulou123 »

Hey
I had a similar problem to you with pain in my TMJ joint and clicking etcc. I also had the same issue with keeping my mouth open at the dentist etc.

I had my lower jaw brought forward 13mm, 11 weeks ago and my oral surgeon could not guarantee if the TMJ problems would be made worse or better as a result of surgery. Intially i was in more pain from my jaw joints, but this is gradually getting better.

You really do need to speak to someone, try your ortho or an oral surgeon, good luck.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Emaciated

#7 Post by Emaciated »

so I really don't want to have to wear them again for another 2 or so years.
Kyle:

They may tell you that you're too young to have the surgery anyway which would keep you out of braces until you're done growing. The surgery process may have drastically changed since then but I was first evaluated around age 19 (am 32 now) for a different procedure than you, and it was suggested I wait a few years to avoid a possible relapse when I got older. If you have the surgery too young, your jaws can continue to grow weird and you may have to do a corrective surgery when you're older.

Arvensis

#8 Post by Arvensis »

Thank you Karl for pointing this out. I was told I was done growing at 16, should have surgery then, etc. but I waited 10 years - the distance they expanded my upper palate this time around (and moved forward) is a lot less than what the anticipated when I was 16 - 5-6 mm expansion (at 16 vs. 1-1.5 mm expansion (at 25). HUGE in my mind. Not to mention I grew another few inches after 16 ;)
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

kylesoccer7

#9 Post by kylesoccer7 »

loulou123 wrote:Hey
I had a similar problem to you with pain in my TMJ joint and clicking etcc. I also had the same issue with keeping my mouth open at the dentist etc.

I had my lower jaw brought forward 13mm, 11 weeks ago and my oral surgeon could not guarantee if the TMJ problems would be made worse or better as a result of surgery. Intially i was in more pain from my jaw joints, but this is gradually getting better.

You really do need to speak to someone, try your ortho or an oral surgeon, good luck.
Thanks for the reply. :D

Yeah, this problem with the TMJ really gets on my nerves and its just nice to know that there are other people suffering with this out there and going through the same thing I am. I was also thinking that the TMJ problems would worsen after the surgery, but your procedure and insight gives me hope! Ya, I know I need to speak to someone pretty soon so I will take your advice.

Kyle

kylesoccer7

#10 Post by kylesoccer7 »

KarlClayLA wrote:
so I really don't want to have to wear them again for another 2 or so years.
Kyle:

They may tell you that you're too young to have the surgery anyway which would keep you out of braces until you're done growing. The surgery process may have drastically changed since then but I was first evaluated around age 19 (am 32 now) for a different procedure than you, and it was suggested I wait a few years to avoid a possible relapse when I got older. If you have the surgery too young, your jaws can continue to grow weird and you may have to do a corrective surgery when you're older.
Thanks for the reply Karl! :D

Your information was really helpful, and is helping in changing my mind in waiting, but I am going to be sure to see my orthodontist or an oral surgeon first. Yeah, I was thinking that my jaw might not be done growing (I hope that is the case!). I really don't want to go through with the procedure as there is no quick fix, but I definitely want results. I'm going to ask my orthodontist what I should do and see what I should do, but your information was really helpful.

Kyle

kylesoccer7

#11 Post by kylesoccer7 »

Arvensis wrote:Thank you Karl for pointing this out. I was told I was done growing at 16, should have surgery then, etc. but I waited 10 years - the distance they expanded my upper palate this time around (and moved forward) is a lot less than what the anticipated when I was 16 - 5-6 mm expansion (at 16 vs. 1-1.5 mm expansion (at 25). HUGE in my mind. Not to mention I grew another few inches after 16 ;)
And thank you for replying! :lol:

Yeah, as I told Karl I really do hope that my lower jaw is done growing. It's funny because when I look at the side profiles of jaws, chins, etc of everyone in my family no one has this problem except myself! It's frustrating I'll admit, but what can I do.. For example my father and mother have perfectly fine jaws, chins, as well as both my sisters.

kyle
Last edited by kylesoccer7 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kylesoccer7

#12 Post by kylesoccer7 »

Sorry to bump my post but...

I just found something out today which was pretty interesting. I came across this forum viewtopic.php?t=26405 and found out that pretty much all of my problems (regarding not only my facial deformities..but also others - neck coming forward, posture regarding back etc). Obviously I have been a mouth breather for as long as I can remember, but I have had no idea that this was related to jaw abnormality and all of that. On this website http://www.facefocused.com/main.htm I have read the problems and I believe that I have pretty much the same facial deformity as the person below showing the age progression and the face. http://www.facefocused.com/importance.htm Before discovering about mouth breathing and its effects, I thought that jaw growth was genetic, and that maybe I was just a "late-bloomer" in regards to jaw growth, however I have come to the conclusion that if it is genetic, then I would have a normal lower jaw, because both my parents and members of my family have normal jaws. I now have reached the point where it is time that I must do something to address the problem. I do have a certain problem...my orthodontist that I go to is not private at all, it is a large hospital and when you go into the room to get checked up there are three chairs, with no walls or anything separating you from the other patients. This meant that when I had braces and had to go in for my monthly checkup, I would have to put on the removable overnight headgear that I was told to wear in front of the other people (most of them my age) so as you can imagine it was quite embarrassing. Now I am worrying that I will be too embarrassed to ask my orthodontist about mouth breathing and jaw surgery. Should I ask him to set up a meeting with myself and my mother? Honestly, I do not really like the guy because he never really addressed my abnormal jaw growth and hasn't said anything to me or my mother about it, and I remember when I had braces on about a year ago he said that he would provide a treatment to fix my TMJ, but that never happened. Also, I am kind of embarrassed to talk about it with my mother also, but not really about the facial deformity, but about the financial cost, as I am getting a car soon, college will be coming up, etc. I really hope medical insurance covers it, I do admit that I want it both for functional but also cosmetic reasons. So, any help or anyone with a similar experience or in a similar situation would be quite helpful!

Kyle

Arvensis

#13 Post by Arvensis »

What pun? I was 5'4" at 16 and now at 26 I am 5'8"
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

kylesoccer7

#14 Post by kylesoccer7 »

Arvensis wrote:What pun? I was 5'4" at 16 and now at 26 I am 5'8"
Sorry, misinterpreted what you were trying to say, thought you were referring to growth in your jaw. At 16 I am 5'10", so I do not really know if I am done growing height-wise or not.

Luella

#15 Post by Luella »

Kyle, It's been suggested here to have a consult with an oral surgeon about this, but truly, in my office, we prefer that the patient see the ortho, have him take impressions for study models, xrays, etc and then send the patient to us, with the models, xrays, and any other info the ortho might want to send. Good luck!!!
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified