One year post-op, still have strange sensations

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ohmyjaw

One year post-op, still have strange sensations

#1 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi everyone,

I am just about one year post-op exactly. I was wondering if anyone else has got this far and still doesn't feel entirely "normal"?

I have a numb spot on chin, just below my lip. It tingles sometimes, so maybe it is still healing. That doesn't really bother me. As far as I am concerned, it's not a big deal if the feeling doesn't come back. The thing that bothers me is that it hurts when I floss. I had a BSSO on the right side of my lower jaw. When I floss around the molars on that side, it hurts. And where it hurts is strange - in my tongue. It literally feels like someone is sticking a pin into the side of my tongue.

Incidentally, those teeth are also very sensitive to cold, since the surgery. I can't enjoy a cold beer (or whatever) without pain!

I am worried that this is never going to go away. It's not the end of the world, but it bothers me. If anyone has any wisdom to share, please reply!

TheUnk311

#2 Post by TheUnk311 »

That is so weird! I started having the same sort of sensation in my tongue, but only when I yawn.. Over a few weeks it became less and less noticeable though. Strange.

Emaciated

#3 Post by Emaciated »

I'm only close to 4-months post but I'm actually glad to read your post because I was geting worried too. I guess if you're still feeling weird sensations after a year then I shouldn't be worried. I experience the flossing thing you describe and the numb spot on the chin but not the tongue issue. I get really weird feelings in my upper teeth when I sneeze and when I blow my nose. (I just got over a cold.) I know I won't but it feels like I'm going to blow my upper jaw off or something.

ohmyjaw

#4 Post by ohmyjaw »

Well I spoke to someone at my surgeon's office, and she was very sympathetic but not very helpful. Basically there is nothing they can do (I kinda figured that) but she said it's a good sign that I have feeling, it means the nerve is alive, be patient, hopefully it'll get better, yadda yadda.

And yes KarlClay, I get wierd feelings in my upper teeth too. I think the nerves in that area "woke up" recently, and now it's extra sensitive.

chrisk

#5 Post by chrisk »

Hi ohmyjaw,

I am 1 year and 6 1/2 months post-op from upper and lower jaw surgery, genioplasty and levelling of a cant in my upper right hand jaw, and I too, still don't feel entirely 'normal'.

I have a numb patch on my chin and lower right hand teeth, and my top teeth still have what can only be described as a tightness (like I still have braces on my teeth).

I am resigned to not having any more improvement and I can live with the odd sensations for the benefits that I have had in improvement in my bite, appearance, and confidence. However, I am still forever hopeful that things are continuing to improve. The changes are so minimal that it is difficult to see improvement. I now have 3 teeth on the top that feel 'normal' but the numbness/sensitivity/tightness gets progressively worse as I move across to the teeth on the right hand side. I take this that the right side of my upper jaw had a lot more work.

For what it's worth, my dentist told me that the nerves regenerate at the rate of 1/2mm every 6 months so as I had 4mm movement up and out I still have a long way to go until I need to worry about not getting full feeling back. And I have no idea how much disruption I had to the nerves where my cant was levelled.

Hope this helps.