Soft foods post-surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gettingbraces44

Re: Soft foods post-surgery

#61 Post by gettingbraces44 »

When can I start(approximately in weeks or months) eating pizza without the crust? Oh yeah, watermelon was great, I'd definitely recommend watermelon with some salt to soothe any pain from a strep throat. :D

Lv4snow

#62 Post by Lv4snow »

So far my favorite food has been soups with the chunks strained out. Much better than liquifying the whole soup.

fabricsmile

#63 Post by fabricsmile »

ı drink mostly apple juice after l left the hospital.And use ensure for the first 2 weeks

riggiocrspagirl

#64 Post by riggiocrspagirl »

Hi! I'm about to have the SARPE surgery so these recipes and soft foods are going to be GREAT for what I'm about to go through!
Thank you all! It is much appreciated!
-Ashley

toastman

#65 Post by toastman »

MY mother is a great cook ,she make me a whole batch of lentil soup ! But you need to blend it up so they lentils are all mushy !!
OH and, liquid diet sucks !!

MadAussieGirl

#66 Post by MadAussieGirl »

Scrambled eggs has been a bit of a staple for me after I moved away from purely liquid foods (week 2). Lunches tend to be soups, yoghurts, baked beans and tinned spaghetti, (mostly because they are convenient to heat up at work. Rhubarb stew and pureed apple with custard is nice for something warm and to get a bit of fruit... Am now 4 weeks post op and am just getting onto tuna casserole, and mince curries (using the continental recipe base I found in the supermarket and chopping up the vegies into really small cubes. Also overcooked the vegies so they are a bit softer)... Rice works nicely as a side dish that you can basically just swallow without having to chew... Cheesecake and chocolate mousse are my comfort foods for the minute. :)

clockworkrabbit

#67 Post by clockworkrabbit »

I've found that almost all of the canned goods in the section of the grocery store devoted to "holiday cooking" have been really awesome. I'm referring to pre-made fie fillings (pumpkin, apple, cherry) canned yams, tinned chicken/beef, chicken and beef broths (or veggie), plus all of the assorted canned veggies and fruits... they are *all* overcooked and soft, and well seasoned so you don't feel like you're eating bland stuff all the time.

Also, using a scoop of "weight gainer" bodybuilding powder in a milkshake in the morning has helped keep my calories and vitamins/minerals up. These almost universally taste really good and have more protein than the packet instant breakfast mixes.

Pie milkshake
1 scoop of vanilla ice cream
2/3 cup pie filling of choice
1 cup milk
2 graham crackers (optional)
Blend well! Blend in a little hot water if the cold hurts or it is still too thick.

Chicken and bean stew
3-4 oz tinned chicken breast meat
1 cup tinned beans you like (I like black beans)
1 cup chicken stock or broth
Microwave before blending to warm (it spatters less). Blend well: tastes like chicken stew but is easy to drink

Mix tinned yams or sweet potato into your fresh fruit shakes + fruit juice. They pack a load of vitamins and minerals and the sweetness blends well with fruit.

CaliforniaKid

#68 Post by CaliforniaKid »

very soft french fries (preferably in and out). this probably was already posted before.

e77

#69 Post by e77 »

This has been so helpful! I am scheduled to get SARPE on Jan 15, so I've been making lists of foods that I'll be able to eat. Thank you!

uzi366

#70 Post by uzi366 »

thank u for the time spent on making the list!

Vantwins

#71 Post by Vantwins »

This is kind of random, but while I'm recovering from sarpe one of my fave snacks is refined beans, warmed up in the microwave, with guacamole on top. Chips would be nice, but not going to happen!

I got lobster bisque from the prepared foods section of trader joes the other day and that was really good, almost totally smooth.

Vanessa

BrinaRose

#72 Post by BrinaRose »

This site is so really helping me with my research on Orthognathic surgery! Thanks for all the great tips guys!

sarahxgx

#73 Post by sarahxgx »

I'm one week post op and cant wait to start eating soft foods!

Hyrules

#74 Post by Hyrules »

Let met tell you something simple about softfood. Everything you want can become softfood. Yesterday I ate wieners with mashed potatoes with green beans. You just have to blend it with beef or chicken broth. Today I ate Cordon Bleu Meetballs(chicken) and Gravy. I just added Chicken Broth and send everything into the blender and voila. You want it more liquid add more broth. Tonight I plan on eating chicken with french fries. I'll add chicken broth and blend it then drink it. Remember... I had Double jaw surgery 10 days ago.

lukeaj

#75 Post by lukeaj »

brilliant list. I thought I was ready for soft foods at the 4 day mark but the sharp pain said I wasn't! Need to remember to be patient.