Soft foods post-surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yumitan89

Re: Soft foods post-surgery

#91 Post by yumitan89 »

Thanks for the list :D

bangbangprettypretty

#92 Post by bangbangprettypretty »

Some brilliant ideas! I had cheese quiche today for lunch and bulgar wheat with goats' cheese for dinner - lovely.

gaborousseau

#93 Post by gaborousseau »

Great list!
I'm starting to think that all cooking websites should have a "soft foods" category :lol:

patcharee

#94 Post by patcharee »

Great List.

I am going to keep this list for my second surgery!

thewalkingsuit

#95 Post by thewalkingsuit »

Great list! going to save for sure =)

fixmenow

#96 Post by fixmenow »

Avocado mashed up with a little salt and lemon juice.

Rhea2017

#97 Post by Rhea2017 »

Thank you! this is very helful.
I am having porridge for a week now and feeling like tired having the same food in a week :-(

Elucidation

#98 Post by Elucidation »

I craved donuts. Since my mouth can slightly open now (15 days post-op double jaw, wired removed on soft-chew diet now), my strategy was to break up the donuts into pieces and douse em with milk. It took me about an hour to eat one donut but it was glorious.

braceface2017

#99 Post by braceface2017 »

I'm at 6.5 weeks post op. Here are some of my food ideas:
-1/2 cup of oatmeal, banana, pinch of brown sugar, protein powder, dash of cinnamon, 1 to 1.5 cups of boiling water all blended. Cold milk to cool down and make even thinner as needed. This was my go to breakfast
-Homemade bone broth! Should have started this PROIR to surgery, but I didn't. There are a ton of good recipes online and can be made in the crockpot. I used the bone broth alone and to thin out other recipes.
-1 Cup cereal with 1 cup milk blended (sometimes need to thin out more then 1 cup)
-1 can pinto beans, lots of taco bell sauce packets, chicken broth, cheese, sour cream. This was my FAVORITE!! switched it up with black beans as well.
-Chicken broth with cumin, garlic powder, garlic salt, paprika, onion powder, onion salt (basically taco seasoning), this was great to switch it up when on the "clear liquid"
-Chili mixed with beef broth

Other:
-Grocery stores have the "soup bars" if want to try something different and not have to cook. Usually had to thin out with broth.

What DID NOT WORK!
-Chia seeds. While they sound great in a smoothie, the seeds make a mess in the mouth
-Strawberries. Seeds also made to much mess (at least for me)
-Blended mac & cheese (gross)
-Donuts with milk blended (not worth it)

Soft Foods:
-Almost any kind of chicken, pot roast, tuna, fish
-Mashed potatoes (don't forget the sweet potatoes)
-any pasta
-scrambled eggs
-yogurts
-guacamole

assertives

#100 Post by assertives »

I survived on soft boiled eggs (my life saver!) mashed potatoes, smoothies, baby food and ensure milk. I had a very bruised throat from the breathing tube that came with anaesthesia that made even swallowing water very painful.

zoeyemilia

#101 Post by zoeyemilia »

Does anyone have advice about diet and nutrition for individuals in the pre-orthodontic and pre-surgery phase? I have malocclusion with anterior open bite and have a lot of difficulty chewing and experience an uncomfortable and frightening choking sensation. I'm currently surviving on yogurt and soup (mainly) and try to eat soft foods like eggs and meatballs when I'm feeling ambitious enough to sit and chew slowly, which is not always feasible given my fast-pace life involving school, work and long commutes.

Any advice would be helpful, thank you in advance :)

Konbawa076

#102 Post by Konbawa076 »

Hi guys, I'm day 4 post SARPE surgery, I got sick pretty quickly of all dairies. So, I'm all about cold soup or green smoothies. My concern was to eat fresh vegetables and fruits every day and not just milshakes. I basically mix all ingredient in a blender.
Green smoothies: a advocado + Two full cup of fresh washed spinard + a cup of berries (frozen because it's a lot cheaper) + a bit of fresh gingember + almond milk

Gazpacho (cold spanish soup): fresh gingember + a tea spoon of olive oil + 3 tomatoes + 1 paprika + half a cumcomber + salt and pepper + Fresh basil and fresh+ parsley

Konbawa076

#103 Post by Konbawa076 »

[quote="zoeyemilia"]Does anyone have advice about diet and nutrition for individuals in the pre-orthodontic and pre-surgery phase? I have malocclusion with anterior open bite and have a lot of difficulty chewing and experience an uncomfortable and frightening choking sensation. I'm currently surviving on yogurt and soup (mainly) and try to eat soft foods like eggs and meatballs when I'm feeling ambitious enough to sit and chew slowly, which is not always feasible given my fast-pace life involving school, work and long commutes.

Any advice would be helpful, thank you in advance :)[/quote]

Presurgery: No alcool or any medication no smoking (at least 3 weeks prior to surgery), vitamin try to eat healty (as much green food as possible) blend it if you can't chew

EmilyTravels

#104 Post by EmilyTravels »

My favorite treat while on a liquid diet with jaw wired was chocolate-peanut butter milkshake made with dark chocolate almond milk, vanilla ice cream, and natural (smooth) peanut butter. I believe my hubby threw in a little whey protein powder as well. Tasted yummy, had protein, went down very easy!

abc321a

Weetabix to go

#105 Post by abc321a »

Has anyone used these post-op? As they are supposed to be cereal on the move, are they an easy suitable meal drink?

TIA!