Soft foods post-surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

freshieprincess

Canine Exposure surgery

#16 Post by freshieprincess »

My surgeon used an open technique for my canine exposure surgery. Unfortunatly there weren't any brackets available in that office (he is a "traveling surgeon") so on Wednesday I got a hole cut into the roof of my mouth and today I got it re-opened *shudder* then dried and had a bracket glued on it. It still isn't being pulled but it hurts a lot. Anyway, I was told I could eat regular (well soft foods) for the first days then eat normally. I haven't really been able to get anything down in fear of opening the crater back up and infecting it (that is the last thing I need) and today I thought I wouldn't be able to get anything down at all (I only had a couple of tbs of smoothie for lunch and only because I was really hungry) but I discovered the magic of french fries (not the crunchy kind of course) and pain killers. I can chew a little then swallow and the pieces of food don't go everywhere--which is why I haven't been eating, I wasn't really hungry anyway...feeling the hole as it clotted up is not an appetite stimulator. Also tried macaroni and string cheese. The string cheese was kind of hard to swallow.

I tried eating bread but now that I have the bracket and chain on the tooth, the bread knocked the chain (ow!) so yeah, I think I am going to stick to a more liquid type diet. It was hard to drink at first, I was trying to squirt it in my mouth but then it was hard to swallow since to do so the mouth needs to be closed--and I was avoiding closing my mouth as much as possible (so the wound would close up and because it is so gross). I looked like a pelican trying to eat. Then I got this really smart idea to buy these sippy cups that I had when I was little (it says sip-a-mug) that have a curvy straw attatched to it and a hole in the top so it is really easy to drink with and the "straw" is rounded with a small hole so you can ensure you don't drink to much...it is a lot easier to drink now. I don't know if this works for everyone but I guess in the later stages and for people with less invasive surgeries.

I liked the magic bullet idea because I am tired of smoothies and I am looking for other alternatives...but I am really picky so...sucks for me...[/url]
Braces: Ceramics all over
Predicament: Impacted canines in palate
My story: click on www

crazybeautiful

#17 Post by crazybeautiful »

The liquid diet isn't in my near future, but I was wondering what the UK equivalent to 'cups' is? The recipes on the links sound good, but I need metric units :lol:
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

nimo

#18 Post by nimo »

Someone asked about cous cous, and I don't know if anyone addressed it. I had no problem getting it down. The problem came when I was trying to keep it out of my splint. This was at least three weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure there's still some stuck in there.

My problem is that I really don't like soup. I like smoothies, and I drank quite a bit of Ensure the first few days, but it all gets old really quick. By the end of week two I was so sick of sweet stuff that I drank half a small jar of dill pickle juice. It was a pretty slow process, I didn't just guzzle it down, but I could not believe how great it tasted after two weeks of vanilla and strawberries.

TOFU TOFU TOFU

Tofu is magical. It's super soft, it's practically tasteless so you can make it taste like whatever you want, and it's filling. I'm coming up on 5 weeks post-op (leforte 3) in two days. There was a point during the second week where I was daydreaming so much about chicken mcnuggets with honey that it took me three hours to get through one chapter of my book. Throw some soy sauce on tofu, put some honey on top of that, and it's not mcnuggets, but it sure is close enough.

I like the zipnsqueeze bags a lot. They've been incredibly useful. I don't use the ones for actual drinks (juice, water) anymore, but the ones for smoothies are really good.

And if you don't have one, a strainer is mighty handy. I have a magic bullet, but it didn't want to blend everything as well as I needed for my syringes, so I would run everything through the strainer to get out big pieces I couldn't chew. This is also good if you want to eat ice cream. I melt it down in the microwave and strain the nuts out.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Raspberry

#19 Post by Raspberry »

crazybeautiful wrote:The liquid diet isn't in my near future, but I was wondering what the UK equivalent to 'cups' is? The recipes on the links sound good, but I need metric units :lol:
1 Cup = around 240mL

ssspidermom

#20 Post by ssspidermom »

I really like spinach and I boiled fresh spinach in chicken broth and blended it. It tastes very yummy and I could drink it from a cup.

Also, I ate deviled ham with a little mayo, and put it inside half an avacado.

I liked scraping a fresh pear or banana with a spoon. Kiwis are nice when you can chew a little. A baked sweet potato with a little cinnamon and butter - I added milk when I blended it. YUMMMY!
~~Plant seeds and sing songs~~

crazybeautiful

#21 Post by crazybeautiful »

Raspberry wrote:
crazybeautiful wrote:The liquid diet isn't in my near future, but I was wondering what the UK equivalent to 'cups' is? The recipes on the links sound good, but I need metric units :lol:
1 Cup = around 240mL
Thanks! :D
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

chankyi

#22 Post by chankyi »

Hi! anybody got any more tasty recipes to share? I get quite scared of eating cuz my mom adds porridge to campbell and soup together and the taste is often nasty but i don't think its nice to sound off cuz shes really making an effort.

Kerry

#23 Post by Kerry »

come on guys give us yoru favourites !

this is goign to be sooooo helpfull for everyone
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

ema27

#24 Post by ema27 »

So i thought i would add my input now i am qualified to do so..Lo.Anyway the first few days are hard i was tightly banded and the only thing i could get down was very fine liquid.For The first week it was soup blendered down ,and milkshakes blended down not that varied to be honest .Now after 7 days the tighter bands were off and although still tightly banded not as much -i can now fit in food more stodgy think of a 4 month olds food.Now i am eating soo much more-weetabix in the mornings,smoothies with icecream,fruit,chocolate.Some people have said they couldnt stomach blended really food down-i thought that -however my fella made my favourite pie with mash,veg and honestly it was sooo nice.Taste just like the real thing...
I also put a slice of chocolate cake in for pudding with custard-yummy again taste just like the real thing.
:D
My best advice is to experiment- theres no point not trying -it would drive me crazy if i had to eat soups all the time-sometimes a proper meal really does fill you up...Go on get that blender out!!!

yse

#25 Post by yse »

Three recent surgery patients are doing this :

http://jawblends.blogspot.com/

for liquid diet recipes. Good stuff. It came too late for me, but it's great anyway!

http://www.chinderella.wordpress.com

dittoxtina

#26 Post by dittoxtina »

my favorites after surgery are:

everything was put in a regular blender and liquified:

1) slice of cheese cake / milk

2) regular ice cream (snikers is my fav) / milk

3) pudding / milk

4) any flavor oatmeal / milk

5) any canned spegetti / vegtables (1 jar of baby food, you cant even taste it) / and tomato juice.

6) 6 slices of sandwich turkey / 1 serving mashed potatoes / chicken broth / a lilttle bit of milk to make it more lliquid. (dont put to much chicken broth because it'll become very salty.

7) chicken dumpling/ chicken broth ( dilute with alil bit of water)

8) make chicken alfredo how ever you like it / milk to blend it.

9) also once a day i drink a bottle of ensure and crush a daily multi vitamin into it.

and thats all i been eating so far.. use your imagination!!! thats all i did. and most of the time it will taste good. and number 6 really made me full!! so i eat that one alot! ok i'll post if i discover any more good dishes.

Cheffy

#27 Post by Cheffy »

I am 1 wk post-op lower jaw surgery. I have already lost 9lbs. My problem isn't getting the food in it's that i'm so nauseated. My OS will kill me tomorrow ia my 1st post-op checkup.

gatorseh

#28 Post by gatorseh »

I think I am one of those people who cannot do the pureed foods... I keep trying and by the second or third syringe squirt I feel repulsed by it and don't want it anymore. I keep thinking its all in my head, but I can't get past it!

My favorite so far has been tons of frozen fruits (strawberries and a mixed berry blend) with some ice and apple juice blended. It's so cool and refreshing going down. :)

spikegomez

Re: Soft foods post-surgery

#29 Post by spikegomez »

bbsadmin wrote:Someone recently asked that a sticky topic be placed in this forum for members to post ideas about soft foods and eating post-oral surgery. I think it's a terrific idea, so I'm creating the sticky topic for you. Post away! :D

I also want to remind you that we have some pages regarding soft food suggestions on the main ArchWired site:

Soft Food Suggestions at ArchWired.com
ah ok, got you....

spikegomez

#30 Post by spikegomez »

gatorseh wrote:I think I am one of those people who cannot do the pureed foods... I keep trying and by the second or third syringe squirt I feel repulsed by it and don't want it anymore. I keep thinking its all in my head, but I can't get past it!

My favorite so far has been tons of frozen fruits (strawberries and a mixed berry blend) with some ice and apple juice blended. It's so cool and refreshing going down. :)
ah ok, so cool and refreshing .....
Spinal Braces