Blood donation?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mikatgeo

Blood donation?

#1 Post by Mikatgeo »

I have my pre-op on Tuesday for a bimax and I'm on the fence on whether or not to agree to the autologous blood donation. Do most people do it? My second donation would be a little more than a week before my surgery. That seems like such a short time to replenish. Any opinions?

eggraid101

#2 Post by eggraid101 »

If your oral surgeon recommends it, I would do it.
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.

http://www.mullenortho.com

HighandLo

#3 Post by HighandLo »

My OS said it wasn't necessary as I would lose very little blood (I had BSSO only).

I wouldn't want to put my body under the stress if having to replace blood so close to surgery. If you donate, you're guaranteeing you lose blood!

That's just me, though.

Lo

Brandyleigh35

#4 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

My doctor said they used to require it, but in the 30 years he has been doing this surgery he has never needed it. He also said that they have found that giving blood is actually counter-productive, and can slow post surgical healing. You body must work to replace the blood you lost, plus what you donated.

He totally does not recommend it. I wouldn't do it. I had upper, lower, and genio, and my doctor said I lost less thene 1/2 a pint of blood, which is very little!

Brandy

Mikatgeo

#5 Post by Mikatgeo »

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I'm afraid I still don't know what to do. May OS said he's only had to use the blood once. I didn't really go into it with him at that time but when I voiced some concern to someone on his office staff she said they have it all mapped out so it's ok. I'll be going to a universiity dental school and my OS is the chairman of the Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Dept. so I do have confidence in him and his team.

On one hand, I'm concened about my age being a factor (58) and that might warrant donating and on the other hand is my weight. I'm on the thin side at 115 lbs. which I would guess might be a reason not to do it.

I suppose I'll just express my concerns to him and see what he says about it. I'm really not as concerned about the integrity of the blood supply should I need a transfusion as I am in my ability to replenish enough red blood cells to promote good recovery and healing.

So many decisions... (sigh.) But, again, thanks everyone for the varied input. I appreciate it,

sweetpea

#6 Post by sweetpea »

I really don't know anything about this, but when I gave blood just for the blood bank, I thought that they told me that blood is made again very quickly by the body. Perhaps you could find out how quickly this really happens, and whether taking supplements helps (iron?). I may be barking up the wrong tree though!

platinum

#7 Post by platinum »

Don't they have blood in teh hospital? I have never heard that you go and guve your own blood before surgery. I thought that blood donations given by people are used for surgeries.

Eeegsy

#8 Post by Eeegsy »

I had a blood sample the day before op which I guess was to determine blood type incase of transfusion.

I had a bimax and apparently lost quite abit of blood but not enough for a transfusion. It's why I was weak after, they said my blood count was low and were considering giving me something but decided I am young and fit and it wouldn't be a problem in a day or two.

Brandyleigh35

#9 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Another thing my doctor said was that if a person was going to give blood to do it no less then 3 months prior to surgery. But again they don't recommend it. My doctor said that the main reason I have healed so quickly from my surgery is that I lost very little blood. He said my body had little to have to replenish. He said that is why he doesn't recommend donating, as it compromises your bodies ability to heal because it must regenerate so much more.

I have a lot of people on my blog who have had bimax, upper, lower, and maxillo- mandibular advancement like myself, and I don't think any of them have given blood. They were told the same thing about it as I was and no one needed any.

At your age, I would think anything that might slow your recovery should be avoided. They have blood they can get if you need a transfusion. It is quite rare to really need one though, so with that in mind I would say not to do it.

Brandy

platinum

#10 Post by platinum »

The concept of autologous donation for planned surgeries is long-standing and well known. Since it is your own blood, you know that you should not catch anything from it, and that it will be perfectly tissue matched to you. Plus, you'd not be depleting the scarce volunteer-donated blood supply.
I have never heard about it. I use to work in blood tranfusion centre, and the tests were thorough. I was working in a viral lab.
Also, the blood group is determined, like A or B, rhesus - or +. You can always give 0 blood, if your type is not available.

platinum

#11 Post by platinum »

... of course when you donate blood for your operation, it might happen that accidentally you will given "Jim's" blood, who is going to have an operation after you...

chrisk

#12 Post by chrisk »

I must be in the minority here, but I gave an autologous blood donation, (1 pint) about 2-4 weeks before surgery (I can't remember how soon before since my surgery was over a year ago). My story somewhere in this section of the site will say when (I'm not sure how to link it to here).

My surgeon replaced the blood that I lost during the surgery. I'm also on the light side too (at 53kg) and have a history of being a bit of a bleeder, but on the plus side I have quite low blood pressure which is a good thing going into upper jaw surgery.

I'm not sure, but it may just be the standard of care in Australia, or with particular surgeons. My surgeon said that in about 50% of cases, the blood is needed, so I went ahead with it. After all, he is the expert.

Mikatgeo

#13 Post by Mikatgeo »

Thanks again for all the replies.

I decided to take my surgeon's advice and donate. Unfortunately, two veins in one arm collapsed and they couldn't get a drop. I must have been really nervous! The other arm was very bruised from a blood test the day before so they didn't want to use that arm. They called my surgeon and told him I gave it a try but it didn't work. So at least I was cooperative.

I'm actually relieved. Deep down I really didn't feel comfortable about bouncing back from it. So now it's a countdown to the 13th for surgery. :shock: