Surgery tomorrow morning

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

freakinrican

Surgery tomorrow morning

#1 Post by freakinrican »

Hey everyone,
I'm 25 years old and have had braces on since May of 2006. I had the surgical hooks put on today, and tomorrow at 10AM I am having Leforte I surgery, BSSO, and genioplasty to correct an anterior open bite! I believe I've got just about everything ready to go including the ZipnSqueeze bags...now there's nothing to do but wait. I am about to enjoy my "last meal" of solid food in a couple of minutes! Any last-minute advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

phil

#2 Post by phil »

freakinrican,

Welcome!

Good luck with your surgery. I am recovering (4 weeks out) from the surgeries you're having, for a different condition (severe Class III bite).

Advice:

1) REST!
2) Hydration is very important.
3) Ice for swelling the first three days. Days two and three can be brutal for swelling. After that, switch to moist heat.
4) Stay ahead of your pain with medication.
5) Be patient with yourself, and listen to your body.
6) A sense of humor can be of great help in your recovery.
7) Sleeping with your head elevated will help with swelling. I am still sleeping in a recliner for comfort. I suppose I could switch back to my bed now!
8) Get a "magic bullet" or an immersion blender (what I use) to blend your food. Makes the job easier than a traditional blender.
9) Have plenty of liquids on hand to dilute your food (beef, chicken or vegetable stock, milk, cream).
10) Keep in touch on the message board! We're here for you.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

HighandLo

#3 Post by HighandLo »

freakinrican,

Try not to stress and be kind to yourself. You'll need to nap during the day, but try to get outside after the first days for just a little bit. You'll feel better and the circulation will help the swelling to go down. Take your meds on time and use the mouth rinse. Distract yourself with something humorous (I bought the Thin Blue Line series).

Best wishes for a fast, smooth recovery! :wink:

Lo

freakinrican

#4 Post by freakinrican »

Thanks for the friendly advice everyone...it's made me feel better already! Now it's the "11th hour" so I'm drinking as much water as I can before the clock strikes midnight. I'll be back home hopefully Wednesday but maybe Thursday. Oh, and I have DVD sets of Seinfeld and South Park to keep me entertained. Thanks again!

smile2006

#5 Post by smile2006 »

Hello- Good luck with your big day. I also had an anterior open bite that was corrected with upper, lower and genioplasty. The first couple weeks are a challenge but then things get better quickly. I also had a splint in my upper jaw for six weeks after surgery because my palate was also widened. That was, by far, the worst part for me. It was difficult to speak clearly and eat. However, a year later the results are worth it. So if after your surgery you feel down with the recovery process know it will get better and in the end it will all be worth it! Let us know how you are doing :D

HighandLo

#6 Post by HighandLo »

Meryaten,

Yeah, I'm watching the Mr. Bean DVD's now :wink: It seems to be an antidote to the crazy, violent headlines of today. I'll have to try Father Ted. I have heard of it. I tried a Black Adder DVD, but not my style! It's funny, I like to read serious classics, but when it comes to TV, take me away to somewhere else!

Lo

chipmunkcheeks

#7 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

good luck!!! that is me next summer! let us know how it goes!

freakinrican

#8 Post by freakinrican »

Hey everyone,
I'm back at my parents house recovering tonight after my surgery yesterday morning! Everything went fine and I couldn't have asked for a better experience from all of the caregivers.
- My mother accompanied me to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital at 10. I was nervous the night before but the car ride there was just awful. I ended up vomiting up bile in the surgical waiting bathroom, but I felt much better after that (go figure)

- I'm young and have very good veins but they couldn't quite set the IV right the first time, and I'm pretty sure she was a student which is OK because I was there once too. Another nurse got it the 2nd time, and they used Lidocaine each time (without me asking for it) so it was even less of an issue.

- The anesthesiologist took a little bit of time to get there, and it was before they gave me the good stuff to take the edge off, but luckily that was probably the thing I didn't like the most about the whole experience!

- After the surgeon arrived and talked to us, they gave me the good stuff and wheeled me into the OR, gave me some oxygen and the next thing I remember I woke up in recovery. I don't remember too much, just being very hot and sweaty, so the nurses took the blankets off and put some ice packs on me (i think...haha). I don't remember being wheeled to my private room after that though.

- I was in and out the rest of the day, kept hydrated and given vicodin for pain, steroids and ice packs for swelling, an antibiotic, and IV fluids. I had family and friends come by to visit, which was good, and I was talking quite a lot given the swelling wasn't too bad at the time. I was surprised because I was able to drink from a straw pretty good. I was able to sleep OK that first night. I was extremely lucky and grateful to have my mother there with me because otherwise I would have really annoyed the nursing staff!

- The next day the swelling was definitely worse, but manageable.
Woke up around 1030. The OS came in at 1230 and saw me sitting in a chair reading a magazine and he says "Now there's someone who wants to go home." haha. He went over the surgery very positively: the surgery lasted 2hrs 15 min which he said was "unheard of". Of course it helped that there were 2 surgeons, but it still went great.
Even better news, my new bite fit so well that there was no plastic bite wafer needed, which I am extremely grateful for (my anterior open bite was 7mm).

- I felt so much better after taking a shower when I got home, but it was very difficult brushing my teeth, even with a child's size toothbrush!

-I've got an appt with the OS tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping he will give me a timeline for being in the elastics.

So that's my story so far. I'll try to give frequent updates, and I'm sure I'll have more questions for you guys later! Also, when I progress more I'll try to post some pics. Take it easy everyone, and thanks again for all the advice!

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

Glad the surgery went well. HERE'S to a good, quick and speedy recovery.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

phil

#10 Post by phil »

freakinrican,

CONGRATULATIONS! You made it!:jump:

Here's to a speedy recovery. Glad things went so well with your surgery!

Take good care of yourself.

Phil

freakinrican

#11 Post by freakinrican »

Hey everyone,
I'm at day 3 post op! The swelling looks about the same as yesterday, but I plan on starting the moist heat therapy today. I just had a chocolate-banana smoothie for breakfast and I'm feelin' pretty good.
One thing I've noticed that seems to be getting harder is sleeping. I can't think of the name, but I sleep on an angled cushion-backrest thing with two regular pillows and a neck pillow for support. It's not bad comfort-wise but I still wake up quite frequently. I think taking all my meds right before bedtime might have something to do with it (some very very strange and short dreams and it seems like any little noise is amplified by 10)! Any advice on getting a better night's sleep?
I had an appt with the OS yesterday. He said I could go on a soft non-chew diet, remove my bands for eating and brushing, etc. The truth is I'm pretty nervous to take off the rubber bands so soon after the surgery, but I think I'll wait till Saturday to venture onto applesauce and cream of wheat!

phil

#12 Post by phil »

freakinrican,

Hang in there!

You still might do one full day of ice, just to make sure you're receiving as much benefit from it as you can. How bad is your swelling?

Staying elevated at night will help your swelling for sure. I can't give you advice on sleeping better, because I am a chronic insomniac myself! :crazy:

I can certainly understand your apprehension about taking out your bands! I had my tight bands in for a week after surgery, and some people have them for two weeks. Maybe erring on the side of caution will not hurt you if you don't feel comfortable taking them out, but your surgeon probably knows best!

Be extra nice to yourself! Take it slow and easy!

HighandLo

#13 Post by HighandLo »

I know what you mean about the sleeping. I used the exact configuration of pillows as you are! At first, I could only sleep 4 hours at a time, then gradually it was more. I had to nap during the day. It wasn't until 3 weeks post-op that I slept all night! I'm a light sleeper, too.

Hang in there! It just gets better with time.

Lo