WISDOM TEETH ARE COMING OUT!!!!!!!!-and now they are out!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ema27

WISDOM TEETH ARE COMING OUT!!!!!!!!-and now they are out!

#1 Post by ema27 »

Hi i have been in braces for 3 months and due to have lower jaw surgery early next year.so today i got my appointment for my wisdom teeth to be removed as my surgeon said he likes to take them out 6 months at least before the lower jaw surgery.
Any way all teeth are impacted any one had their wisdom teeth out-is it really as bad as some say...? :shock: thanks
Last edited by ema27 on Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

kristiano8

#2 Post by kristiano8 »

I was one of the lucky people, like you who had all 4 wisdow teeth- all impacted. My lower left one became infected so I had an emergency appt. at the dentist office- I was in agony, I didn't have insurance at the time and I was in so much pain I didn't eat for a week. I didn't care if it was going to hurt after, I just needed it out. And wouldn't you know that sucker had 3 roots and half of one of them broke off and the doc had to dig it out. At the office they didn't put me to sleep just novacaine for all of them but, they don't typically do it that way ( I think they did it that way cause its a lot cheaper considerering I didn't have insurance). The only thing I didn't like about that is that I could hear all the unpleasant noises but, I couldn't feel anything. Once the novacaine wore of I was sore but they give you drugs. I had the bottom left out then the right, then the top out at the same time. The top hurt the most afterwards for some reason, but it still wasn't anywhere nearly as bad as having and infected wisdom tooth. I think they gave my tylenol with codiene but I didn't really use it. I could eat pretty normal afterwards and I even went to a party a few days later- of course every body is different but its nothing to be afraid of and it'll all be worth it in the end. Good Luck!

soulaghra

#3 Post by soulaghra »

I had upper jaw surgery 1 week ago and I had my 2 impacted wisdom teeth extracted at the same time. I had my other 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed about 3 years ago, and from what I remember, it wasn't bad at all. I remember puffy cheeks, sitting in bed, and laughing a lot after the surgery.
Brace Day: 1.5.2007
SARPE: 3.20.2007
Completed Expansion: 4.9.2007
Front Teeth Gap Closed: 7.8.2007
RPE Out: ???

victoriaaa18

#4 Post by victoriaaa18 »

hey yeah I had my wisdom teeth out last summer for my lower jaw surgery too. I just had local & sedation, what are you getting? well anyways I felt fine even after they were removed, mainly because I was still numb. There's no pain aslong as you take pain killers around the clock you shouldn't have any problems.
As far as food goes obviously you wouldn't be able to eat anything solid so make sure you stock up on things like soup and yoghurt...I lost my appetite anyway which is great because you don't feel hungry for anything you normally eat!
I think the worst part was the swelling, it took a week for it to go half way down! anyways make sure you take care of your mouth with salt water rinses and mouth wash (even though you wouldn't feel like goign any where near your mouth!)
& don't be nervous, you'll be great!
victoria x

ema27

#5 Post by ema27 »

Im not sure yet what im getting i was under the impression that they put you to sllep for all im pacted.my fella had a wisdom tooth took out that had erupted and they gave him a injection in the gum he felt nothing just the sounds of the tooth coming out-which made him squirm.I thought that impacted was a whole different ball game more painful,definitely put under so to speak..

cant say im looking forward to it............

victoriaaa18

#6 Post by victoriaaa18 »

yeah my consultant gave me a choice between local & sedation or general, but I leaped at local because I heard its pretty bad recovering from general, do you know when its scheduled? well i hope it goes well, & im sure it will.
victoria x

Patricia S.

#7 Post by Patricia S. »

First off, everyone is different and has different experiences. Mine was bad, but that doesn't mean everyones is.

It really depends on the person doing it. I had two impacted lowers and the two top were partially impacted (Coming in fine just under the gums). One surgeon said i need to be asleep and the Dentist that did the first surgery said it was my choice but local wouldn't be a problem.....he was wrong. I was in for two hours and only ended up getting 3 pulled, leaving one impacted. At the beginning he said the whole procedure would only take about 45 minutes!! I am trying to get my x-rays to post them. He took one in the middle of the procedure to check the roots and it's horrible looking, half of my tooth is missing!!

My second surgery with an Oral surgeon, not the same guy as before, went smooth. I was in and out in less than 45 minutes and that included the time in the waiting room and time to numb me. He took a look at the x-ray from the previous surgery and said that i should have been put to sleep! The surgery on the last one went fine but I ended up getting a dry socket, even thought i didn't spit or even brush for the first two days (i was paranoid). The dry socket is pretty much healed up but I still have a hole in my gums.

I know some people that have both been put to sleep and some only have a local. I was really nervous both times, and if i could go back I would have paid extra just to be put to sleep. If you are worried about it and nervous, being put to sleep would great, that way you don't have to hear everything.

Check out my story....

Patricia

ema27

#8 Post by ema27 »

I Have my pre visit on the 11th of april and the doc has penciled in the 27th of april as the date ill have them out.i was told when i first started this whole braces experience that wisdom teeth is the worst i can expect from my 2 year treatment-seen as im having lower jaw surgeryi dont know if thats good or bad!!!!! :shock:

Patricia S.

#9 Post by Patricia S. »

Its a good thing....it mean you are moving up another step!! Good luck.

Patricia

chillin-in-grilz

#10 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

I had 6 removed in in just about 1 year ago, April 20th. I went to another city and was put under for the 6, including 3/4 wisdoms. I recoverd in less then 2 weeks :) It depends on your pain tolerance.
Last edited by chillin-in-grilz on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

ema27

#11 Post by ema27 »

so i guess i will have to wait till the 11th to know what my fate will be. :? ..ill let you all know in a few weeks how it all went-thanks for your stories guys-iv said it before but isnt this site great!!!!! :D !thanks again

ema27

#12 Post by ema27 »

Hi just thought i would up date you all-i had my pre visit yesterday and my date is definitly the 27th.Apparently i am second in line so hopefully ill be going under about 10.30 ish.
The good news is i wont have to stay over,its normally about 45 minutes to an hour for the time im under then at least 2 hours in recovery-As long as i can pee,eat and walk then im free to go. :D
To be honest one of the main problems im dreading is not eating.i can eat a light supper then a drink of water in the morning then nothing until its all finished hopefully by 2 o clock.My god i eat the minute i wake up i may be skinny but i sure do eat!!!!!!by the time 2 o clock comes round ill be starving!!!!
And of course i m worried seen as its my ist time under my hubby will drop me off in the morning and ill be on my own as i have 3 kids and noone to have them-thats kinda scary...
:(
Any way if it has to be done then all i can do is get on with it-at least it will prepare me for the big one next year!

ema27

#13 Post by ema27 »

Hi yes my hubby will be picking me up-what i meant was he will drop me off in the morning then when my mum finishes work at around 2 then he will come and see me. and bring me home.I Cant really have my 3 little ones running wild in the hospital grounds.
i would have prefered my hubby to be there when i woke up-but it isnt possible. :(

Beth85

#14 Post by Beth85 »

Hi, i'm in a similar situation to you ema27
I'm due to get my wisdom teeth out in June and then jaw surgery 6 months or so after that. Look forward to hearing how it goes! Good luck, hope it all runs smoothly for you :)
Beth x

ema27

AND NOW THEY ARE OUT....

#15 Post by ema27 »

Okay wisdom teeth were out yesterday-i had a phone call thursday night asking me to come in over night to ensure i would have a bed for the morning.Didnt really want to as i was so anxious about the operation-anyway ended up chattering to 2 women on the ward all night long .We could eat until midnight so at 11 the nurse brought us a hot chocolate,sandwich and a chocolate biscuit! which was heaven!
I was second in line at 10 i went down to theatre-everyone great.I remember them putting a needle in my arm then told me to breathe in mask -next thing i remember is recovery room feeling a little sick and a little giddy!
Was dis charged 4 hours later but i slept all night -This morning i look like the elephant man!all swollen and sore.Managed squashed beans,bread and cut up eggs-took me a while but i managed it..
Hopefully swelling will go down as i have an job interview on thursday-dont want to scare them off!!!!!