UPDATE-3 days post-op/CANINES EXP. + IMP. WISDOM TOOTH REM.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lillie32

UPDATE-3 days post-op/CANINES EXP. + IMP. WISDOM TOOTH REM.

#1 Post by lillie32 »

Hello. I'm 3 days post op today, Sunday, and I'm doing better than I expected! This is what I had done:I had my baby teeth removed, my canines exposed, and my impacted wisdom tooth surgically extracted. I'm very happy that I finally got this done. Huge milestone for me! My surgery went exceptionally well, and I have no pain at all, even w/out my vicodan! I took one the first day, and it made me nauseous, and I can't have that, especially right now with all kinds of stiches in my mouth! But I do have a couple of questions for those of you who've been through this type thing:

*DID YOU GET A SWOLLEN FACE (WHICH I IMAGINE IS FROM THE WISDOM TOOTH, SINCE IT'S ONLY ON THAT SIDE)? AND WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN? - I'VE BEEN REALLY GOOD ABOUT ICYING THIS AREA, AS TOLD BY THE OS.

*DID YOU GET REALLY BAD BREATH? - I'VE BEEN BRUSHING MY TEETH RITUALLY, AS TOLD, WITH CAUTION, OF COURSE, AND RINSING WITH THE PRESCRIBED MOUTH WASH.

*DID YOU GET LIGHT HEADED? - I'VE BEEN EATING QUITE WELL, CONSIDERING, SO IT'S NOT FROM MAL-NUTRITION.

*DID YOU HAVE LIMITED JAW OPENING? AND HOW LONG DOES THIS LAST? - IT DOESN'T HURT, OR ANYTHING, IT JUST WON'T OPEN ALL THE WAY, WHICH MAKES IT HARD TO EAT.

*ALSO, DID YOU TALK FUNNY AFTER GETTING YOUR TEETH REMOVED?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for your support/answers. :oops:

fyrelight

#2 Post by fyrelight »

The swelling is part of the inflammatory response. Your body detects a disturbance (particles that came in during the wisdom tooth extraction, etc), and tries to fight it. It brings in white blood cells and such, but you only have so much room. This makes you swell. The swelling should be gone by 7-10 days, although any bruises you may get may last a bit longer.

The bad breath also has to do with the whole extraction experience.. dried blood, old white blood cells, etc... it'll go away. Brush your tongue-- that seems to get rid of that a little.

The jaw opening problem is probably due to a stressed jaw muscle. In a bit of time, it will recover.

I don't remember talking funny, except kinda whistling through the holes. Its been a while, though, so could be.

Keep us updated!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,