Have a quick question...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

skittley80

Have a quick question...

#1 Post by skittley80 »

Hello all, I have a quick question. I'm a month into braces, with jaw surgery in my future. I'm due to start cosmetology school in September, and it will last for 19 months. I won't be able to have the surgery until school is done since I can't miss any time. If I get my orthdontic work done earlier than the 19 months, will i be able to wait until school is done to have the surgery. Like suppose after 12 months my teeth are ready for surgery, what will happen for the remaining 7 months? Thanks for any help you can offer

--Braced..upper and lower on 7/17/06
--Orthognathic surgery (upper and lower jaw)..possibly summer of '07

smile2006

#2 Post by smile2006 »

I teach at the University level and was worried my teeth would be ready mid-semester which would be an impossible time for me for surgery. I ended up having surgery in July which was perfect. However, I was told using certain wires, your ortho can put you into a holding pattern until you are ready for surgery. This would work in my case where the holding pattern would have been limited to a month or two. If you are talking about a huge number of months it might be different and I would definately ask your ortho/surgeon. Good luck!