Update (after 1st post-op surgeon visit)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smile2006

Update (after 1st post-op surgeon visit)

#1 Post by smile2006 »

Hello-

I was pleased with the visit to the surgeon yesterday. First it was great to get into a car go somewhere!!!!!! The surgeon was very pleased with how my bite is coming together. He also said I looked fantastic for being within on week of alot of surgery (upper, lower and genioplastiy). He replaced the tight bands that I couldn't remove with lighter ones that I can remove to eat and brush. First thing I did when I got home was to brush my teeth (as best I could, could barely get a baby toothbrush around in there but much better than simply rinsing). I'm finding I am basically able to be"off" medication for the most part although I am still taking pain medication before bed. My lips are about 85% healed (after all the stretching during surgery) which is great. The swelling has peaked and is going down. I still have considerable numbness in my chin area and lower lip. The surgeon said I could eat "mush" food that could be licked off a spoon but no chewing. I tried mashed up scrambled eggs but realized I couldn't even open mymouth far enough to get a baby spoon in....bummer, I ended up blending them with some oatmeal and milk. I was hoping for some food changes but that will come more slowly than I had hoped. The splint in my mouth will have to stay there until August 20th at the earliest. I start teaching again on August 24 so I'm a bit anxious about how my voice projection level will be. That is cutting it closer than I had hoped. Comparing the before and after X-rays at the surgeon's office really made all this worthwhile. Alot of changes to both my bite and profile. I hope all of us who have had recent surgery continue to improve as the weeks progress as everyone's progress report has seemed to be positive. OH, THE GREATEST THING IS HE CLEARED ME TO RIDE ON MY CYCLING TRAINER!!!! I love physical activity (and am a road cycling racer). I will try a short, low intensity ride today.....doesn't compare to being outside but it a good start!

Teigyr

#2 Post by Teigyr »

smile2006,

That is fantastic! I second the "don't overdo it" sentiment. I found that I was good at some things but other things, not so much so. I could walk but going uphills gave me difficulty because I couldn't get as much oxygen as usual. I think it was because of the swelling.

Check with your OS as to when you can get back on the bike. Mine said not for 6-9 months. He'd prefer that I wait until my bones are 100% grown back just in case I fall. I rarely fall but I have had some pretty bad wrecks in the past and have been hit by a car once. I guess it's not worth the risk but dang I hate trainers!!!

I hope you're watching the tour at least?!! That is inspiration for sure.

Congrats on your recovery!

smile2006

#3 Post by smile2006 »

Haaa, yes on the don't overdo it....just woke up from a 2 hour nap after riding today and mowing a very small back yard. My surgeon said the trainer was fine as long as I don't "bust" it. No outside riding for 8 weeks though because of the chance of falling and just plain old bumps in roads. I really would be afraid to ride on the road at this point. I also mountain bike and that is OUT of the question for 6 months I know! Found my power output on my trainer was low for where my heart-rate was so I know I am affected by the surgery (as I was training up until the time of surgery). It will take time. My racing season is over for the year......SIGH!