considering surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ohmyjaw

considering surgery

#1 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi there,
I am a new member on this site and have to say it's been so helpful. I am considering surgery and trying to gather information. Here is a brief run-down of what's going on with me, and if anyone has advice to share I'd be grateful.

I have had braces for 6 months and my orthodontist is recommending (but not insisting on) upper and lower jaw surgery, and an implant. I could continue with just braces but the problem is that my teeth won't be totally stable at the end of treatment. They may relapse, and I will probably have to wear retainers for life. My upper jaw is a bit too narrow (crossbite) and my lower jaw is asymmetrical.

I am pretty nervous about surgery and not sure if it's worth it! Has any one out there opted to not have surgery? I understand it is a individual choice, and ultimately I have to make up my own mind. For me, I am worried about nerve damage particularly. I play a wind instrument and I am scared that I may experience nerve damage and not be able to play anymore.

Thanks for reading this, and look forward to any replies!

flesh-was-sweet

#2 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Hey there :)

The first consultation i had, i was told that i needed surgery, but i wasn't too comfortable with it. I thought about it for a few months and decided to get a second consultation...and i was old by the second ortho that surgery wasn't essential at all.

I guess it depends on your individual situation, I have opted not to have the surgery as I felt that there were far too many risks, and that I wasn't willing to take that chance.

However there are a lot of people here who have had it, and who have benefited greatly :)

Good luck whichever you choose!!

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Hi, I think I may have replied to a similar post of yours on the general board.

For me, surgery was unattractive for several reasons, the main being that I am the major breadwinner and cannot afford an extended period of downtime. I'm also not keen to mess with my head more than I have to.

Mine is a marginal case where surgery would give a perfect outcome and braces alone an 80-100% outcome. A life time of retainer wear is in my future and I'm OK with that, although that light at the end of the tunnel is very faint right now!

Those who have had surgery generally speak favourably of the results. There are some initial pain issues, but I can't recall anyone saying they weren't pleased with their outcomes.

It's a personal choice and I appreciate that not everyone is the same. It's really up to you.

mamabracito

#4 Post by mamabracito »

I just thought I'd put in my two cents worth here as well. I am new to the world of braces. I get my braces on July 18. After a year I will be needing sugery. I have had jaw pain ever since I can remember. I get headaches everyday and have been though so many tests to try and find a reason behind the headaches. No one knew why. Not even my doctor. I decided to see an ortho and he concluded that because of the pain in my jaw it causes my headaches. I am looking forward to the sugery. I know it's a painful process but I look at it from the fact I won't have to suffer anymore. I will be able to eat anything I want after my treatment is over. So if your ortho recommonds surgery I would really look into it and see why he wants you to have it. It might be good for you. Just think about it long and hard.

Rebecca

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

July 18, 2006 Speed Braces on both Top and Bottoms!
July 30, 2007 BSSO, Le Fort 1, SARPE, and something else Surgery lol!

ohmyjaw

considering surgery

#5 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your well-thought out replies! I really appreciate it. I have been through so much with my teeth (although not quite as much as some of you on this board!) that I think I get really wrapped up in my emotions. Thanks for being clear-headed for me. I will post updates as things progress for me.