My daughter had double jaw surgery and it has all gone wrong!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jane

#76 Post by Jane »

Kahootz I wish you all the very best for the second opinion. My daughter and I are just sitting chatting (mostly me doing the chatting) :D and we were saying how we are so thankful that we went for that second opinion as it was the beginning of getting answers to the questions and doubts we had about the first surgery. The difference between the experience she had with the first surgery and this one is like day and night - this is how it should be for everyone but you just don't know when you are going through it - you just take whatever comes your way and assume it's normal practice. it is so important to have confidence in the people that are caring for your loved one and for the person undergoing the surgery this is essential - I believe it is making a difference in how she is recovering as she is so much better informed and in control. I wish you all the best and will pray you get the answers you need to make the right decision. God bless, xx

Jane

#77 Post by Jane »

We had the first follow up appointment and the surgeon is very happy with things so far. The swelling has lessened a lot and this is a great to see. He told her to day that she is one of those people who may have swelling for some time - as he thought there was still some remaining from the last surgery in December prior to the second op. So he said to expect changes to take place for up to 1 year - it seems like a long time, but to be honest after all she's come through we can accept that. We are just so happy we found this wonderful professional. On leaving the appointment yesterday he went over to her and gave her a hug - which really touched me to be honest after the appalling way she was treated by the first team. We see him again next week and for the next 4 weeks - what a difference, considering she wasn't seen by the last team til 12 weeks post op!

Today I purchased bromelain, turmeric, quercetin and vitamin E - on the advice of something I read on the internet - I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether these would be useful for her to take. She's stopped the anti-inflamatories prescribed as the consultant said they had done their job and the best thing is to sleep upright and eat a healthy diet. Any thoughts on what else she should do to recover more quickly? Many thanks. Love Jane. God bless xx

kahootz

#78 Post by kahootz »

Thanks Jane. I got a good lower jaw surgery; it was just the wrong surgery!! Funny how these doctors can be. Mine would just stare at me like a deer in the headlights and even recommended Botox to relax my lower chin for my lip incompetence! So glad you are having a good experience the second time around. I can tell you are much more at peace.

I looked on Dr. Weil's (holistic dr., who also studied western medicine). He recommends cutting back on salt, don't sit/stand in the same position for long periods, and Bromelain 200-400 mg 3x per day. I would also say to keep icing as well. When I had my rhinoplasty, my doctor had me ice my nose for months after.

lisab28

#79 Post by lisab28 »

hi jane! thats so awesome. =) im really happy to hear that things are going well now. tell your daughter that i wish her the best of luck. its amazing how much a second surgery can make a difference- as i said i got a genioplasty whch made me look a totally different person--in a relaly bad way, and then after the reverse surgery, i lookd very similar, almost exact, to my original self.

Jane

#80 Post by Jane »

Kahootz I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through, and I pray you will make some progress and know very soon what is the best way to proceed. It is such a distressing time when something which is so traumatic in any case ends up to be wrong - whatever the reason. You can't imagine the distress it causes unless you are in the situation - at one point it almost took over all of our lives to be honest. We had to work hard at keeping focused and positive and we all learned a lot as a family through it. I can't stress enough how much it helped my daughter to find someone who we all could trust and have confidence in and who just didn't tell us what he thought we wanted to hear but was honest and realistic about what could be achieved and what had gone wrong.

We don't know yet what the final result will be but what we do know is that we have done all we can and she can now start to move on and get on with her life which has been on hold for far too long. God bless you as you find a solution to your situation. Love Jane xx

Jane

#81 Post by Jane »

Lisab - so good to hear from you. I remember well how you encouraged me by telling me of your good outcome after a bad experience and I thank you for that as I was very low in spirit at that time. I'm just so thankful that she is able to begin now to look forward with anticipation and put this all behind her. Thank you for your good wishes which I've passed on to her - she is very touched to know that people who don't even know her have shown such concern and interest in what has happened - many thanks indeed. God bless and all good wishes to you. xx

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#82 Post by blindboarder2008 »

Glad to hear your daughter is having a much more positive outcome thus far this time around. The surgeon that you are dealing with now sounds like he is very nice and very caring and wants to make sure your daughter is well taken care of. This is definetly good news.

arnica montana cream is good for swelling or even the tablets that just disove under your tounge. Getting up for mini walks a few tiems a day is also a good idea. That will help to get her system to working again and reguvanating it. Iciing is good although as stated before it really helsp the swelling for the first few days but I continued using the ice because it felt better then the warmth and I was alot more comfortable. I had tried the warmth and it just made me sweet and feel so eicky and blah so I sticked with the icing.

best of luck with the rest of your daughter recovery and please keep us udated as much as you can!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

sauerkraut

#83 Post by sauerkraut »

So glad to hear things are going that much better this time round, and I hope your daughter's recovery continues smoothly and uneventfully :) . It must be such a relief having a surgeon you can communicate with properly at last. All the best :) .

Jane

#84 Post by Jane »

Blindboarder - thank you for your advice and good wishes. I hope you are continuing to recover after your surgery and are happy with how things are going - I haven't been on the message board for a while so didn't know how you got on with the surgery. I really trust and pray you are well and in good spirits.

Saurkraut - thank you too for all your kind wishes for her - she really appreciates all of the kindness and thoughtfulness of people who understand what it's like to go through surgery. God bless

Well, the swelling has come down even more today. A friend called who saw her last week - 3 days post op and was AMAZED at the way she looked today - she just stood back in complete amazement at the progress. My daughter was so encouraged by this and she's in such good spirits it just makes me smile when I look at her. We are so thankful. I will keep you all posted about her progress. God bless. xx :D

blindboarder2008

#85 Post by blindboarder2008 »

Jane: things are going well for me on my first jaw surgery recovery! It was hard in the beginning but its getting better each and every day. I had my splint removed yesterday and it feels so weird since its been in my mouth for 6 weeks + but i'm happy its been removed! Thank goodnesss for my next 2 surgeries I won't need a splint! yay for me. the splint was beginning to get annoying but that is the price we have to pay but the results are amazing!

glad to hear the swelling has come down some more!!! Encouragment is always good and has definetly helped me in my recovering!! looking forward to more updates!
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

bbsadmin

#86 Post by bbsadmin »

Jane,

I'm very happy to read some good news from you. I hope that things continue to go well for your daughter!

-Lynn
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Jane

#87 Post by Jane »

Blindboarder I'm really glad to hear things are going well after your first surgery. When will you have your other surgeries?

Lynn - thank you for keeping in touch with things and for your good wishes We'll definitely keep you all posted. If there's one thing you have to learn through all of this, it's patience - unfortunately, there's no quick fixes and no fast forward button. God bless xx

blindboarder2008

#88 Post by blindboarder2008 »

my next surgery is scheduled for sometime early january, so right after the new year. Gum reshaping surgery and then I will be getting an immplanted tooth put in once I'm all healed up.

lebron85

hello!

#89 Post by lebron85 »

Hi Jane,
As someone going through the research and worry of upcoming jaw surgery I find your story very, very courageous. What you have gone through as a mother is a test of faith and determination so I congratulate you on your efforts! I also applaud your daughter's strength and willingness to cooperate through the whole ordeal.

I really hope everything goes well this time around and am confident it will. If anyone deserves it, you guys do. All the best!!

Also I agree with AF104, ingesting calories will definitely aid in the healing process, whether it be liquidized protein/carbs etc it WILL help.
Cheers.

Jane

#90 Post by Jane »

Blindboarder - we will continue to pray for your final outcome - I/m sure it will all be worth it. xx

lebron85 - thank you for your kind words - I assure you as a mother I've had my moments of despair but when it's your child you find the strength to fight on for them. I'm just so proud of her and pray with all my heart that she will be have a final good outcome and will soon be able to smile again. With all good wishes for your surgery God bless xx And keep researching - my only regret in all of this was that I didn't do more prior to surgery.