To Surgeons in North America

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Pequod

To Surgeons in North America

#1 Post by Pequod »

I'm trying to make a short list of those who are considered the best of the best surgeons in US & Canada.

Anyone have any input?

Arnett/Gunson - Santa Barbara, CA
Wittenberg - Vancouver, Canada
Posnick - Maryland

perlkrys

Re: To Surgeons in North America

#2 Post by perlkrys »

I've heard good things seem some good before and afters from:

Deschamps-Braly (SF)
Wolford (TX)
Robinson Cosmetic Surgery (Denver)
Antipov (CA)

perlkrys

#3 Post by perlkrys »

[quote=perlkrys post_id=503072 time=1530569723 user_id=32127]
I've heard good things / seen some good before and afters from:

Deschamps-Braly (SF)
Wolford (TX)
Robinson Cosmetic Surgery (Denver)
Antipov (CA)
[/quote]

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

Sachs (NYCOMS, NY)
Schwartz (NYCOMS, NY)
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

kplatt2010

#5 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There,
I cannot recommend the surgeon that did my procedure unfortunately. I do have a few suggestions to consider when you're narrowing down your list.
1. Get two opinions at a minimum
2. Ask your orthodontist who the other patients go to. Typically you are going to require braces for this procedure.
3. The surgeon should be able to articulate and show you what exactly they will do. Some surgeons use computer software. Remember the old adage; measure twice cut once. My surgeon did not follow that rule; in hindsight a red flag.
4. Remember if you are going to a surgeon out of state; be mindful of the travel. I'm from Maryland and my surgeon was out of NY and I was taking a train every two weeks for the first few months. Cost adds up both with transportation and taking additional leave from work for post-op appointments.
5. Super important!! Consider the hospital that the surgeon operates out of and look at hospital compare. This is based upon CMS reimbursement and complications. I looked up my hospital after the fact and they rated really poorly and I concur with their assessment. If you consider any of these, this one really super important. Anything goes south, these are the folks that are going to manage your care both the nurses and doctors. You don't want to wake up from a doze to hear the nurses googling something for their assessments.
6. If you're traveling, you will need a traveling companion who can take care of you the first week. You can't do it alone and the surgeon will want to see you one week post-op.
7. Ask surgeon how he manages pain postoperatively. If he/she tells you it does not hurt; run, run fast. My surgeon told me no pain just very uncomfortable with swelling and hard to breath. He told me motrin and tylenol is usually what he gives his patients post-op as you are numb. Fortunately I was able to get a script from the critical care fellow before I left the hospital. I felt as though I had a baseball bat taken to my face. I was numb on my chin and nose area but other parts hurt. Of note; I had some orbital fractures seen on CT afterwards , in addition to the lower and upper jaw so that may explain it. Others on this site state their surgeon gave them a PCA. I can totally see the need.
8. If you have health insurance, that's a consideration as the cost add up with the surgeon bill, the hospital bill, anesthesia bill, and critical care team that is watching you immediately after. You may want to look at whether your choice is a preferred provider with your insurance.
9. Ask the surgeon about whether he uses ice packs or has some fancy contraption for cooling down your face. The hospital where I had mine obviously did not invest in any of these as I got an iced glove.
Best of luck in picking out the surgeon.
Karla

Pequod

#6 Post by Pequod »

Thank you for your comments kplatt, they are very informative. I would even put them in a separate thread.

Also adding another surgeon to the list. I've seen some pretty good results from Dr. Jamali (New York), he has a lot of results up on his real self page.

Run10KToday

#7 Post by Run10KToday »

Pequod wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:13 pm Thank you for your comments kplatt, they are very informative. I would even put them in a separate thread.

Also adding another surgeon to the list. I've seen some pretty good results from Dr. Jamali (New York), he has a lot of results up on his real self page.
Dr. Jamali had a terrible case on Realself.com. The lady posted pics and her jaws are totally misaligned.

kplatt2010

#8 Post by kplatt2010 »

That's actually who my surgeon was...

Guiana

#9 Post by Guiana »

A good one in Philadelphia?

Sheero1986

#10 Post by Sheero1986 »

Robinson in Denver actually recently passed, rare cancer. He seemed to be a great guy.
Dr. Aaron Liddell is now considered one of the best in the area according to the three orthos I’ve seen.