SARPE Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Re: SARPE Surgery

#1876 Post by bbsadmin »

We have a new article about SARPE Surgery on ArchWired.com at: https://www.archwired.com/glossary/surg ... expansion/
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

HarryGray

#1877 Post by HarryGray »

Hi all,

I am having my SARPE surgery at the beginning of September. Thankfully didn't need braces on before the surgery! I have a few questions:

1) how long were you on a liquid diet for?
2) did you doctor give you a time frame of how long to wait before doing exercise? By exercise I mean weightlifting / tennis :D
3) How long after the SARPE surgery did you have to wait before you got your braces fitted?

Sorry if these have been answered before...

Thanks in advance!

Carno

#1878 Post by Carno »

HarryGray wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:05 am
Hi all,

I am having my SARPE surgery at the beginning of September. Thankfully didn't need braces on before the surgery! I have a few questions:

1) how long were you on a liquid diet for?
2) did you doctor give you a time frame of how long to wait before doing exercise? By exercise I mean weightlifting / tennis :D
3) How long after the SARPE surgery did you have to wait before you got your braces fitted?

Sorry if these have been answered before...

Thanks in advance!
1- I was only on a liquid diet for 3-4 days. After that it was on soft foods, and then firmer foods after about 7 days.
2- My surgeon told me two weeks before lifting weights again, but honestly I wasn't interested in working out sooner than that anyway. I lost 5-10 pounds over the course of a couple weeks, so I didn't really have the energy to work out.
3- I had my braces put on 2 days after my last activation of the appliance. The surgeon activated the appliance during the surgery, then no turns for the first 7 days. After that, two turns a day until a certain level of expansion was achieved. Then, braces. Then 90 days after the last turn of the appliance, I had it removed.

EDIT: I should say that the surgeon's paperwork listed a longer timeline for the diet. I believe it said liquids only for a week, then blended food for 2 weeks, then soft food for another 2 weeks. Your mileage may vary.