3 days post op upper jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rockie2032

3 days post op upper jaw surgery

#1 Post by Rockie2032 »

I have my 4 day post op tomorrow. I had been tolerating the pain fairly well but just now Im in some pretty bad pain even after taking pain meds and the liquid diet is killing me. I miss food already. I have 2 front elastics. Does anyone have any suggestions on pain management without too much narcotic?

momo2015

Re: 3 days post op upper jaw surgery

#2 Post by momo2015 »

I had my upper jaw surgery on Dec 12, a Monday. By the weekend I was OK with just two or three Advil (400 - 600mg ibuprofen total). Lots of ice, and give yourself another day or two.

For the food ... I hear ya. I'd do anything for a cheeseburger and loaded nachos. I'm two weeks post-op today, not wired shut (have the two rubber rands), and with a plastic splint. I was able to eat some thing crust pizza cut into super tiny pieces the other day, and it was heaven. I also have been able to eat small pieces of lunch meat and deli cheese. Might be some things for you to try in the next week or so. Just have a drink handy in case you need something to wash the bites down with ;)

Rockie2032

#3 Post by Rockie2032 »

Thank you for the advice! Im super feeling it right now. I dont know if its my face waking up but Its painful all around my jaw. Sort of feels like severe toothaches. Then my belly wont stop gurgling and going liquid diarrhea . Ugh! Just gotta keep toughing it out. I feel like such a winey baby right now. I cant wait to be months post op!!! lol!

WiredJon

#4 Post by WiredJon »

You're in the worst phase right now :-(

I'm 5 weeks post op, and the first week was pretty damn miserable, but things improved massively for me starting from about 10 days, and the last week and a half life has gone back to normal, pretty much. I'm slowly getting back to being able to chew most food (as long as it's cut up small enough) and the swelling and numbness are slowly going away.

Hold on there, it's going to get better very soon!

Rockie2032

#5 Post by Rockie2032 »

That helps a lot!!! Words of encouragement are amazing! Keep me updated on your progress. It sounds like you are doing very well! :)