How long after surgery did braces come off?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

batwing

How long after surgery did braces come off?

#1 Post by batwing »

I know this will vary quite a bit, but I'm wondering how long everyone was in braces after their surgeries, and what types of surgery they had?

I'm two and a half months post Le Fort I, and I have an orthodontist appointment in two days. I'm really hoping they can give me an estimate for debracing!
Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014

sirwired

Re: How long after surgery did braces come off?

#2 Post by sirwired »

2 1/2 months after the never-to-be-sufficiently-cursed splint came off; 4 1/2 months total.

sunnyD

#3 Post by sunnyD »

I'm 4 week double jaw post op and saw my orthodontist yesterday. He said he's aiming for 6 months for me to get my braces off.

batwing

#4 Post by batwing »

sirwired wrote:2 1/2 months after the never-to-be-sufficiently-cursed splint came off; 4 1/2 months total.
Man, I bet a splint really sucks!
Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

Well, it wasn't a "splint", like splinting your arm. Instead, it was an arch-shaped acrylic plate (if you've ever done a "wax bite" for your ortho, it was kind of similar) modeled against my articulated surgical model. (As in, it was made to reflect where my teeth were going, instead of where they were. This was wired to my upper archwire.

Plus side: I was on pretty light elastics, which was nice. I've heard of people being on elastics so heavy they can barely open their mouths.

Minus side: Since it wasn't a removable appliance (any such appliance would simply fall out) it trapped food that simply could not be cleaned. Since it hugged the teeth, I couldn't swish; since my gums were healing, I couldn't waterpik; since it was so close to the archwire and teeth, no brush would fit. Stinky-breath city! I just about passed out when the surgeon's assistant removed that thing for the first time... I immediately brushed my teeth four times in a row and seared my mouth with some Listerine.

At my six-week post-op visit (when they decided it needed to go back in for three more weeks) I asked the resident if I should worry about cavities; his answer: "Probably". When asked if I could do anything about it like fluoride treatments: "We don't do that here." Lets just say I wasn't too impressed with his bedside manner.

Alicia110613

#6 Post by Alicia110613 »

5 months per my surgeon...

And sounds like splints really suck!!

Leebie3

#7 Post by Leebie3 »

I was told I'll be in braces for 3 months post op.

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

samoorelaw

#8 Post by samoorelaw »

My orthodontist estimated I would be in braces 6-8 months after surgery. So this means I have "only" 5-7 more months of these accursed things before I'm finally free. First things first, though: I'm still on such tight elastics that I can't open my mouth, 4 weeks after surgery. So now my only goal is to be put into lighter elastics so I can finally learn how to eat REAL food: so sick of this liquid diet, I don't think I'll ever want a smoothie or yogurt again for the rest of the year.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Poll

#9 Post by Poll »

I had BSSO surgery with advancement over 1 cm. My orthodontist estimated 6-month long period for braces after surgery but it was 1 year after the surgery before the braces came off! After the braces I had to wear buttons for elastics and even two years after the surgery my occlusion is far from normal. But my orthodontist has some competence issues.

Tingrinteacher

#10 Post by Tingrinteacher »

I've been told 6 months, maybe a bit longer, but definately off by Christmas. Im now nearly 5 weeks post op.

I'm hoping to be tin free by school photos in September. :-D

survenant

#11 Post by survenant »

It's been almost 6 months and I need to wait at least another 3 months before the orthodontist will consider taking my braces off.

SoCalUniveristyLed

#12 Post by SoCalUniveristyLed »

It was 5 mos post-op for me which I think is on the shorter end. But I was in braces about a year and a half before surgery which I think is on the longer end. I had upper and lower.

I think it will depend on how much your ortho does BEFORE surgery - mine left me near perfect. Ok, pretty much because there were no adjustments post op. Only closed up slight opening in the molars as a result of surgery and waited till I was healed. I think my ortho waited too long, my OS said I was ready at 3 mos post op : )

hidakat

#13 Post by hidakat »

I'm coming up on 11 months post op and I'm still in braces. I'm expecting to be in them for another 6 months, but I think I'm an unusual case.

survenant

#14 Post by survenant »

They removed the wires after about 8 months but got debraced (brackets removed) 9 months after the surgery.

sirwired

#15 Post by sirwired »

SoCalUniveristyLed wrote:Only closed up slight opening in the molars as a result of surgery and waited till I was healed. I think my ortho waited too long, my OS said I was ready at 3 mos post op : )
I also had my molars open up a little as a result of nine weeks of that splint. Three weeks with elastics and it closed right up.