Dealing with nose congestion post-op :(

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

atanu83

Dealing with nose congestion post-op :(

#1 Post by atanu83 »

I am on day 3 of my post op for Lefort 1. Any ideas on how to tackle nose congestion? Its killing me and to breathe through my mouth is extremely uncomfortable among other things. Please advice.

DRG

Re: Dealing with nose congestion post-op :(

#2 Post by DRG »

First off, congratulations on the surgery. I too suffered from congestion, stuffy nose and tremendous discomfort for the first days after my own double jaw surgery.

In my experience I only found relief initally using nasal spray (ie. Afrin). However, that is a short term answer and one needs to avoid using such a nasal spray for more than two days in a row - otherwise the congestion comes back with a vengence. A short time after surgery, more than a week, I was finally bold enough to irrigate my nose & sinuses using a neti-pot & associated salt solution. I was worried that would be too aggressive, undoing the healing process. By that time in my healing though, it was not, and provided tremendous relief. My facial swelling had already begun to go down too, which also made a significant difference, so on that front I'd say time and patience are the best medicine.

You'll feel better soon, if not already (considering you are at Day 8 at the time I'm writing this).

DRG
Braces: 1986-1988
Open bite was not resolved
Braces again (at age 35): 15 APRIL 2010
Lefort I & IVRO: 21 FEB 2011
Unwired! 25 MAR 2011
Braces removed revealing my perfect bite: 4 JAN 2012

projo198

#3 Post by projo198 »

BREATH RIGHT STRIPS! They were little miracles for me after my surgery!

LAJaw

#4 Post by LAJaw »

I too had terrible, horrible congestion for the first week post-op. It made it so I couldn't really sleep at all the first week. I used a neti pot religiously to try to flush out as much of that bloody gunk as possible and it'd give me temporary relief. After the first week it started clearing up by itself.

Good luck, first week is awful & terrible but after you get past it it's all downhill.
Uppers braced April 15, 2010.
Wisdom teeth extracted April 30, 2010.
Lowers braced May 12, 2010.
BSSO & 3-piece LeFort I April 22, 2011.
Braces off July 3, 2012!!
My surgery blog: http://jeremiahjaw.wordpress.com

CaliforniaKid

#5 Post by CaliforniaKid »

I used afrin a few times but my nose was never seriously congested. have you considered a steam shower?