So glad to be Canadian

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emdanut

Re: So glad to be Canadian

#16 Post by emdanut »

BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:
emdanut wrote:No there were a couple things in the $2600 that our insurance said they would cover but the surgeon still charged us just in case. So we will get them back.
Good luck with that. From what my surgeon told me was he let me in on the secret that insurances dont actually cover that, they just want to put in a claim to make you believe that. trust me esp since I am gonig to school to be a surgeon.
We got it in writing from the insurance company beforehand. No offense but I'm more inclined to trust people I've met than a stranger from the internet.

CaliforniaKid

#17 Post by CaliforniaKid »

Wow, I really underestimated the mental capabilities of some people on this forum.
lol.

anyways, it is nice to see some people managing to cover their surgery without prostituting themselves.

DRG

#18 Post by DRG »

trossi wrote:
DRG wrote:At risk of coming across as an anti-Canadian, this doesn't seem all that great to me. I had my upper and lower jaws moved just last year. I was able to schedule my surgery as quickly as four weeks out (but chose a bit longer) so as soon as my ortho and OS agreed, we had a date selected. And besides paying for my braces ($6K out of pocket) and the occassional co-pay at my surgeon's office ($30/visit), I paid just a $200 (two hundred, not a typo) copay for my surgery, after insurance payments. Of course my surgeon was wonderful about working with the insurance company. And it probably says more about the quality of my insurance too. My good old American sort-of-free-market-choice-driven health insurance.

Quite frankly, I'm still in shock that my insurance company agreed to pay anything. My OS' office had to provide all sorts of surgical models to the insurance company for their internal experts to review...but they incredibly signed off in no time. I should send some flowers to the lady in my OS' office who knew all the right strings to pull with my insurance company.

DRG

I think you need to realize that its a big world out there and not everyone is so fortunate to have private insurance. Maybe instead of trashing my Countries national healthcare system that doesn't leave people in need, you should just be grateful and humble that you've had the benefit of having it so easy.
Trashing what now? Where did I....oh, nevermind I'll just go ahead save some electrons from the misery of being involved in this discussion.....

DRG
Braces: 1986-1988
Open bite was not resolved
Braces again (at age 35): 15 APRIL 2010
Lefort I & IVRO: 21 FEB 2011
Unwired! 25 MAR 2011
Braces removed revealing my perfect bite: 4 JAN 2012

BracedSurgeryStudent

#19 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

emdanut wrote:
BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:
emdanut wrote:No there were a couple things in the $2600 that our insurance said they would cover but the surgeon still charged us just in case. So we will get them back.
Good luck with that. From what my surgeon told me was he let me in on the secret that insurances dont actually cover that, they just want to put in a claim to make you believe that. trust me esp since I am gonig to school to be a surgeon.
We got it in writing from the insurance company beforehand. No offense but I'm more inclined to trust people I've met than a stranger from the internet.
Well good, :) Glad you got it in writing. I've had so much trouble with insurance so I didnt get this surgery.
Jenn Medeiros

HelenUK

#20 Post by HelenUK »

I am similarly glad to be british - all of my orthodontics, surgery and associated costs are completely covered by the good old NHS. :)

Amethyst

#21 Post by Amethyst »

I'm super glad that my surgery was covered by OHIP as well. My surgeon told me the surgery would cost around $20,000 in the US. Plus I need to have another surgery in a year or two, which will be covered too. :D

maxhammer

#22 Post by maxhammer »

Don't these governments take 50%+ of your income to pay for this healthcare? Nothing is "free", it's just a matter of how you pay for it.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#23 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

maxhammer wrote:Don't these governments take 50%+ of your income to pay for this healthcare? Nothing is "free", it's just a matter of how you pay for it.
Exactly. Even in college, they make you buy it or you cant go.
Jenn Medeiros

PrincessLea

#24 Post by PrincessLea »

I feel extremely lucky also! I am British and have had my lefort 1 covered (last month) and am being scheduled in for a further genioplasty later on in the year. We are very very lucky to have the NHS and I do not take that for granted.

I understand earlier points that you pay for it one way or another but no we do not pay 50% of our income for it. Yes people pay insurance and we pay part tax for it so it can be deemed as similar. BUT, a lot of people who pay their insurance premiums then have extra costs on top for the surgery/braces/hospital. We at the NHS have nothing.

I think people need to realise Trossi was not trying to bash anyone here she was just expressing her opinion that she is happy/lucky to have the help that is available to her. The conversation seems to have gotten a little (LOT) out of hand IMO

HelenUK

#25 Post by HelenUK »

maxhammer wrote:Don't these governments take 50%+ of your income to pay for this healthcare? Nothing is "free", it's just a matter of how you pay for it.
Of course it's not free, and yes we do pay income tax (20% or 40% depending on income) and national insurance (~10%) which also cover a lot more than healthcare, but it is free at point of service to everyone in the country regardless of financial situation, and we are very very lucky.

trossi

#26 Post by trossi »

Too many trolls on here!
Someone can be grateful that they don't have to pay out of pocket.
Being a full time student, I wouldn't be able to afford surgery at this point and it's very difficult dealing with TMJ problems from my bite issue.
The Canadians and British people on here know what I mean. Yes we pay taxes but its worth it to know that everyone gets healthcare and not just the people who can afford insurance or are provided with insurance.
Not bashing anyones country. Just enjoying the perks of being Canadian.

maxhammer

#27 Post by maxhammer »

trossi wrote:Too many trolls on here!
Someone can be grateful that they don't have to pay out of pocket.
Being a full time student, I wouldn't be able to afford surgery at this point and it's very difficult dealing with TMJ problems from my bite issue.
The Canadians and British people on here know what I mean. Yes we pay taxes but its worth it to know that everyone gets healthcare and not just the people who can afford insurance or are provided with insurance.
Not bashing anyones country. Just enjoying the perks of being Canadian.
That is fine, but you are acting as if it is free when in fact you're paying 4,000 out of pocket and then health care taxes for the entirety of your life. I'd probably prefer your system, too, but realize it is not even close to being free.

CaliforniaKid

#28 Post by CaliforniaKid »

fwiw the canadian healthcare system isn't rated that much higher than america's. it is nowhere near as sophisticated as the NHS.

for young people i imagine the costs aren't felt as much because they aren't a particular strong tax base.

so the feeling of "free" is more real than high-income earners who are the source of most taxes.

it amazes me how available orthognathic surgery is in the many european countries, especially for people who couldn't otherwise afford it. but i also realize that as an american there is more choice, and for people with difficult orthognathic conditions some doctors just don't cut it. from what i understand some posters here are basically stuck with the surgeons that live closest to them.

even though my surgical fee is insane compared to costs in countries with universal health care, i dont think i would be comfortable with the idea of not being able to choose. there is no way surgeons like arnett/gunson would work in a nationalized environment.

i wonder if some countries with universal health care allow citizens to use money allocated for medical needs outside of the country or surgeons/doctors in other provinces/states..

maxhammer

#29 Post by maxhammer »

CAkid, I actually think young folks have it worse in a Nationalized system. Think of our Social Security program--who is funding that? The youngest workers will pay more into that than, say, workers who were 60 at the time the program was enacted. This is simply due to time in the workforce and hence taxation. Nationalized health care is basically a loan. Which, is good for people who need the surgery today, but if they are young they'll pay that loan back over their lifetimes and then some. The rich also get a raw deal since it is percentage based. Those who make out best are the unemployed, and those who were near retirement when the program was enacted.

And I agree regarding choice--I've heard people fear their local surgeons, yet they have to go to them. And what is the incentive for these surgeons to well if it's not their reputation/higher profits/income in the future?

These are pros/cons to both systems, and in the end it's pretty close.