How Long...?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Beth85

How Long...?

#1 Post by Beth85 »

Hello, how long is it from the point when the final archwires are in place until surgery?
Or does it vary quite a bit?!

Thanks

Beth

Kerry

#2 Post by Kerry »

aparently and hopefully i should be going into the third n final wire on my next visit which is the 28th Aug, I have spaces to close but if you dont and your teeth are all lined up you could be verrrry soon.

I have 4mm space on either side to close so i estimate another 5months before i have surgery, il be having moulds done when the spaces and starting to close more.
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

dubnobass

#3 Post by dubnobass »

Impossible to predict as everyone's teeth move at different speeds and everyone's starting arch is different.

I was quoted 12 months in braces, then surgery, then 12 months in braces.

It ended up being 26 months in braces, then surgery, then 10 months in braces. Most of the time in braces before surgery was spent trying to flatten my curve of spee and close 2 extraction gaps - the time after surgery was closing a posterior open bite.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

tortor

#4 Post by tortor »

I was told I was going to be in braces for 6-9 months before surgery. I ended up being in braces for 7 and a half months. My final archwires were put on about a month before surgery..followed by a powerchain and surgical hooks.

Beth85

#5 Post by Beth85 »

Hello, thanks for the replies!

I was told I have 2 or 3 more wires left for the lower arch. My top teeth are ready for surgery but my lowers are tilting forward so I think the roots need some work before I am ready.
I was just curious to know how long, once I am in the final wire, until surgery.

I didn't think it would be any set amount of time as eveyone is so different, just a rough idea.

Next app is 18th August so we will see if the consultant says anything!!

Thanks again

Beth xx

Happysmiler

#6 Post by Happysmiler »

Hi Beth,

I know how keen you are to get this done asap.

I think once the final surgical wires are in place, they can stay there for as long as needed. They basically are rigid wires which keep the teeth in place and do not allow for movement. I suppose in your case you have to wait until those bottom teeth behave themselves and get into position.

Hopefully it won't be long for you now - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Best Wishes
Happysmiler

Thathrill

#7 Post by Thathrill »

I have had the same wires for 4-5 months now. I was under the impression that surgery is dependent more so on your teeth and not the wires. The teeth has to be aligned properly so that after surgery the upper and lower arches aligns well
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

dittoxtina

#8 Post by dittoxtina »

ive been in braces a yr and 4 months. im having my surgery aug 26th.every appointment id ask my ortho if i was ready for surgery. and he'd say no..finally my last appointment he said my teeth were ready and he put on my "surgical wires". i guess its a certain kind of wire. and that day he told me i was ready i called my doctor and made an appointment to go from there. i had my ortho appointment on july 26th..and im now sceduled for my surgery aug 26th. so im having my surgery exctly one month after them putting on my "final wire". its all going really really quick now. tomorrow i go to get my surgical hooks put in, then wed i go give blood, my doctors going to take molds, and i have to register at the hospital. theres alot to do before surgery lol.