Another option to the expander???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bjmedia

Another option to the expander???

#1 Post by bjmedia »

Hey everyone!!!

I've had braces for about 10 months now. So far so good w/ my treatment. All my teeth are aligned and I have stainless steel braces in my mouth. On Wednesday, I'm scheduled to see my ortho for what was supposed to be having my expander put in my mouth. The last time I went however, he gave me an option. Some type of new technology where they give you a shot in your gums, and put a screw I believe my your molar, then they attach what I think is a power spring from the screw to one of your teeth near the middle. This gives the pressure to pull back the teeth one by one, similar to what an expander would do. The only difference is that the expander is inside the mouth and your speech is slurred, cuts, etc. This "implant" is put on the outside of your mouth and no slurred speech at all. The time in your mouth though, from what I'm told is about the same. Anyone ever hear of this new treatment or have had it done?? Some feedback would be great! Thanks all!

Chris :wink:

bjmedia

Option

#2 Post by bjmedia »

So i'm guessing no one has heard about it then?? LOL

gunter8888

#3 Post by gunter8888 »

I saw something like this. I forget where. Actually, there were two versions. The first is a screw that they put in the center of your palate and then somehow attach to upper molars on both sides. The other are screws placed into bone below molars. From what I recall, they were both alternatives to headgear. I don't remember seeing anything about it being an alternative to expanders, but I don't remember everything they said about it.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

jaswi

#4 Post by jaswi »

about a month ago they actually had a mini segment on medical breakthroughs part of the local news on this. Seems the screw is meant to be an anchor for many different types of devices that would normally be anchored with headgear or molars.

bjmedia

Looks like we will see......

#5 Post by bjmedia »

I'm scheduled to have this done Wednesday at 10:00 A.M., so I guess I'll let you guys know how it all goes............

bjmedia

Looks like we will see......

#6 Post by bjmedia »

I'm scheduled to have this done Wednesday at 10:00 A.M., so I guess I'll let you guys know how it all goes............

Shoegal

#7 Post by Shoegal »

Wow...I think I'd prefer the expander...hope it works out for ya! Is it supposed to be painful? Maybe it sounds wosre than it actually is?!

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

I can't recall which topic it's in, but someone on this board recently posted their progress photos and it appears they have had that procedure done. I noticed there appeared to be tiny screws in the back of two of their teeth.

bjmedia

Implants.....

#9 Post by bjmedia »

I guess it's supposed to be better than the expander as it doesn't make you talk funny and it does the same job. It'll be interesting to see what they all do tomorrow morning. I wish I could see someone here who has pics already of it in there. Ah well..........looks like I'll find out either way.

BraceMD

#10 Post by BraceMD »

I have a "button" glued onto the inside of one of my top molars, with an elastic going to the OUTSIDE of one of my bottom molars, as an alternate to an expander. I've had it for 6 weeks and amazingly, my palate is widening... but this sounds a bit different from what you're getting.

I'll post pics sometime, I haven't been on here forever.
Damon 3's 5/22/05
Unbraced 10/2/06

Permanant bonded retainer on bottom, bite positioner, and Hawley retainer at night...

Click www to see pics!

bjmedia

Got it in!!!

#11 Post by bjmedia »

Well here's my report.......so my ortho chained my wires and have both stainless steel on the top and bottom. He numbed my gums up w/ a shot of Lidocaine in my mouth, similar to when you have a cavity and then literally put a mini-screw inside my mouth. It's above/near my molar and he screwed it right into the bone. Didn't feel a thing or any pressure either. No blood or nothing like that. He's seeing me in a month to I guess attach rubber bands and/or springs to it to start pulling my teeth back to where they should be.

I asked him about it and says it's revoulutionized orthodontics. They have done this a lot in Germany and are now starting to do this in the States. So far no pain or discomfort. Just feels sometimes like a piece of popcorn stuff way up in my gums. Weird feeling I guess to have. Wish I had pics to share here, but at least I don't need that blasted expander in my mouth. WHEW!!! If anyone is planning on getting an expander in the next few weeks/months, be sure to ask your ortho if they are doing anything related to a "mini-implant." That is what mine called it. I'll let everyone here know how it all goes!!!

Chris :wink:

Harpua

Interesting

#12 Post by Harpua »

I'd take a couple of screws in my bone just to get out of this TPA. That method sounds like it makes good sense. I wonder what something like that would cost?

bjmedia

Mini-Implant!

#13 Post by bjmedia »

I actually asked my ortho if people w/ the expander in their mouths already could switch over to this implant thing I have in my mouth now. He said yes they could if they are more adults. Teenagers and children usually don't mind the expander, but the adults are the ones who truly hate them. Next time you visit your ortho, just ask them about it. You never know. I'm so glad I don't and am NOT going to have that thing in my mouth. WHEW!!

Chris