Not sure anymore...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mackenzie

#16 Post by mackenzie »

You should do it! Teeth in the wrong positions can wear out weird and look worse when you get older, so it is good to get them where they belong! I don't know how old your students are, but I'm 16 and if my teacher had braces I would just think it's good that she's finally fixing her teeth. If your students are middle school/high school most of them had braces or have braces, and if they are younger than that they're probably too young to care.

Having braces shows you care about yourself. Would you rather have a prospective date see you without braces and think your teeth will always be how they are or see you with braces and know that you will have perfect teeth?

Joanna20

#17 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! I personally I like your smile; It has personality!
but you are the only person who can judge that. Me, for instance, a lot of people tell me they like my smile but I just think it's horible and I want to correct it; It took me 5 years to decide to go to the orthod... I was also worried about my self esteem during braces. But I got to the conclusion that 2 years or so is nothing for a gorgeus smile forever. Plus you've already spent some money so why not go ahead? If you can afford the rest of the treatment of course.
Good luck with your decision!

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

jennielee81

Re: Not sure anymore...

#18 Post by jennielee81 »

EdgeofFreedom wrote: I'm afraid of people's judgement, of my student's judgement, I'm afraid this will only kill off more of my self-esteem.
I'm really confused.... What should I do?
I can address this issue. I work in a middle school and ALL of the kids are supportive!!! They like to see my progress, asking me to bite down so they can see my bite changes and they've wanted to see my arches, too. The adults I work with aren't quite so curious (with the exception of two who had braces as adults). Don't think I'm weird, I don't approach them with this, they ask me!

I've always been insecure, but I am far more confident with braces on my STRAIGHT teeth than I ever was with my naked, crooked teeth.

As for the special smile, I've had people, even on this board, tell me that my smile was "cute" before braces (click below to see them). I think it's going to be STUNNING when I'm finished, I'll trade cute for stunning any day... You too will be stunning!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

EdgeofFreedom

#19 Post by EdgeofFreedom »

Again, thanks everyone for your input... As I said, I'm going to wait until my appointment tomorrow to make a final decision. I change my mind every three minutes so I intend to really think this through!

I chose this ortho because of good comments from several people. He is also the one my dentist recommends to his customers and I was quite impressed with the professionalism, the office set up and the way patients are treated. I called other ortho's to ask questions and it's the only place where they were answered properly. So I am not worried at all about my choice, even if I didn't consult all the ortho's in the region...

Thanks for the comments about the students. I think they'll be okay, especially the 12 year old's. I've already told some of them that I might get braces and asked some kids who have braces how they feel, so I know reception should be easy on that one. The older students should be okay too, 'cause you can have decent conversation with 16-17 year old kids and they don't judge as much. So I'm not that worried anymore now that I think about it... I suppose in the end it's better to be known as the teacher with braces than the teacher with bad breath or a bad fashion sense ;)

I'll let you guys know what I learn tomorrow. Last time I saw the doctor my head was spinning with question and I didn't get to ask half of them and forgot the answers to most of the others. I hope it will be better next time. Maybe I should tape the appointment so I don't forget what is being said LOL!
Smiling is in!
---------------
Tine

Dodger(UK)

#20 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Hope your consultation goes okay. If it's something you really want to do, then I say go for it. It's only natural to have reservations, for such a huge committment, but at least you'll have the benefit of other people's experience on here, should you need it. :)

wearetheborg

#21 Post by wearetheborg »

Speaking as a guy, I find noting wrong aesthetically with your smile - ie, I will not consider you prettier after the braces.
If however the dentist feels it would be prudent to correct the bite to avoid problems, then I would say consider it.
I'm a bit jealous - I hope mine turn out as well as your current teeeth after I'm done with my braces and two dental impants :?

Lysachick

#22 Post by Lysachick »

I'm with Fozzy- I had a whole heap of people say that my teeth "weren't that bad". I rather took that as an insult and it encouraged me even more to want to get them fixed to have a perfect smile.

If you're going to do it, do it for yourself- it really is an investment into something you'll have for the rest of your life.

And if you are still concerned about how you look in braces (like me!), perhaps you might consider linguals which sit behind your teeth? You can't see them at all! They cost a bit extra but I prefer them both in terms of convenience and comfort to the ceramics fitted to my lower teeth.

Good luck!

EdgeofFreedom

Well, here I go!

#23 Post by EdgeofFreedom »

I went to my appointment today.

The ortho said I had a choice between getting teeth pulled and lower-jaw surgery. I'll take the tooth pulling for 250$ thank you very much... I will also need to have some piece of hardware stuck on my palate and behind my teeh to keep the back molars in place while my canines slide into the holes left behind by the extractions of my first pre-molars...

It didn't take me long to decide, I don't seem to have any doubts when I'm sitting into that office, they only surface once I step out of it! So I decided to go ahead as soon as possible. And as soon as possible was even sooner than I expected, because I already have spacers in! Funky little buggers, it took me 40 minute to eat my dinner with my tongue and my front teeth. They are annoying, but not as much as I would have expected. I got half-way through my piece of chocolate cake for dessert. NOT a bad thing ;)

I still can't really believe what I'm getting into, but, we'll see where it leads me!
Smiling is in!
---------------
Tine

ssfw

#24 Post by ssfw »

Hi EdgeofFreedom,

Congratulations on beginning your orthodontic treatment. Sometimes, I think it's better to make a decision at the time and proceed with it as soon as possible, especially when you know in the back of your mind you are making the right decision - gives you less time to think and keep changing your mind. But, as a few of us said, only you can make the decision - there wasn't a right or wrong. A person also has to be ready to make the commitment with the long journey and expense of orthodontic treatment.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

library lady

Dry mouth/metallic taste

#25 Post by library lady »

I got my braces on over 6 months ago. Initially, I had quite an issue with dry mouth, but that problem subsided after the first month or so. However, now it is back with a vengence. It seems like since my last appointment in Jan. I have had an extremely dry mouth, chapped lips, and a constant metallic taste in my mouth that is stronger on one side than another.

My braces are pushing my teeth out (a good thing), but I don't think I am keeping my mouth open any more than I did before my last adjustment.

Has anyone experienced this? Am I actually *tasting* my braces??
Braced July 11, 2005 ceramic uppers only

joygoss

#26 Post by joygoss »

Very valid concerns, but the end result will be sooooo worth it! I am 31 and just now getting braces (also to correct an eye tooth). I don't like the idea of being in braces, either, but it's something I'm willing to go through (two years vs a lifetime of beautiful smiles!).

Actually, have you considered invisalign? They are more costly, but you can't see them.

Good luck!