Elastics Time

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace12

Elastics Time

#1 Post by BraceFace12 »

I am getting elastics soon. I was wondering if you could tell me how long you were in them. Not like hours of the day, but how many months you needed them. I know all people are different- I just want a general range.
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

Evelyn

#2 Post by Evelyn »

I just got mine to finalize my bite so luckily they weren't the central part of my treatment. I got them first in late October and wore them full time until Jan 4th when I was downgraded to nights. Now it's just whenever I feel like it, although I still wear them everynight.

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

adollface

#3 Post by adollface »

I just got mine at the beginning of January and was told at that same visit that I have about 3 months left until debanding. So I am assuming that I will have them for the remainder of my treatment. I have an adjustment next week so well see what the ortho says than.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

Knucemike

#4 Post by Knucemike »

I got my first elastics in july of last year. They went from the top front to the bottom rear. I had them two months. They then changed them to front top and front bottom in a triangle pattern, for two months.

Then it was back to the original ones which i have been in since. So I am now starting my 9th month in elastics.
Braces on 11/03 - Hopefully off 5/06 -Now changed to 4/07

BraceFace12

#5 Post by BraceFace12 »

Thanx everyone for answering.
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

alexa

#6 Post by alexa »

I got elastics last April and have had them ever since, though the patterns have changed from time to time.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

MusicIsMyLife

#7 Post by MusicIsMyLife »

I had crossbite elastics for three months. Now I'm on a box shape elastic for my open bite.
Braced Sep. 29 '05
Tongue crib inserted Oct. 6
Tongue crib removed April 5
Estimated treatment time: 20 mths

NotBob1

#8 Post by NotBob1 »

I don't have them yet, but I was told to expect them about 4-6 months into treatment and for the duration. So if this holds true, I'll have elastica about 1 year, maybe 14 months. I have a crossbite, so this is primarily the reason for the length of the elastic wear.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

swan

#9 Post by swan »

I've had them from the third teeth on top to the first molars on bottom 6+5 = 11 weeks. That was to move the bottom teeth forward.
Now I have a triangle second and third tooth on top, third on bottom (see my www link for a picture), so that the bottom teeth will move right behind the top teeth. I got them at my last adjustment, and they'll let me know at my next adjustment 6 weeks later what will happen then.

11 weeks sounds a long time, but it didn't seem long at all!

So the total will be 17 weeks or more...
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

naomi

#10 Post by naomi »

I got my elastics in April or May of last year and I was just told today that I don't have to wear them anymore AND I only have 2 more adjustments to go before I get my braces off !!!!!
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

CLAmom

#11 Post by CLAmom »

This may be the dumbest question ever but does everyone with bite problems have to have elastics? My ortho never mentioned this as part of my treatment but I do have a pretty wicked crossbite that we are working on. Would he have told me if I needed these upfront or is it one of those "surprises" that I'm in for later on in my treatment? :?

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"