Can braces be removed for a special occasion?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PaperFlowers

Can braces be removed for a special occasion?

#1 Post by PaperFlowers »

I'm graduating from high school this year, and I REALLY don't want my braces on for grad, pictures, etc. I feel self-conscious about them, and I can't smile with my mouth closed because it looks really weird. I have traditional metal braces and by grad I will have had them on for 10 months. I would be fine if my ortho offered clear ligs, but he doesn't! Do you think he would take them off for a few days? Money isn't really an option, I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred if I had to. Or would it cost more? I'm scared to ask my ortho about it because he can be quite rude when I have questions. Do you know if it's common for people to have their braces removed temporarily? Would my teeth move out of place in that short period of time?
~x~*Alliesha*~x~

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

I would think not as if they were removed there could be movement. If your ortho wont supply clear ligs you can buy some over the internet and im sure they'll gladly put them on for you. Another possible option is to have the archwire removed and clear ligs covering the brackets for a few days.

I too will be leaving college with my braces on and i was going to enquire about clear ligs or maybe speeding my treatment up a little to pull in my very noticable overject this on thursday so i will let you know how i get on.

Its nice to see someone close to my age around here as well. May i ask what your diagnosis is/ was?[/code]

PaperFlowers

#3 Post by PaperFlowers »

I have an open bite (I can't close my teeth in the front) and I had a narrow palate, but that has been corrected with an expander and SARPE surgery. My teeth weren't really that crooked, but I didn't have a "bite". I have to get surgery in 6-12 months to correct the open bite. I can't wait until this whole ordeal is over! What's your diagnosis?
~x~*Alliesha*~x~

Dark_angel

#4 Post by Dark_angel »

I have a class II division I maloclusion basically my top jaw is forward of my bottom jaw and it gives a buck teeth appearance. Mine stick out 9mm from the bottom ones. I have metals on top and bottom and i have to wear headgear :twisted:

Anyway im off to start the cleaning routine, night

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

I totally understand where you two come from!! I'm graduating university next year and I am pushing my ortho to have my treatment done by then (1 1/2 years instead of 2) but he keeps telling me that as an ortho he is a perfectionist and he wants my teeth to be perfect etc etc...

I really don't think that getting the braces off for a bit is possible. I would think that it would affect the treatment in one way or another.

Do you know why your ortho doesn't have clear ligs? I would think that any ortho would have them...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

bethne3

#6 Post by bethne3 »

I felt compelled to respond to this because I plan on getting married in the next 2 years and I may have my braces on still.
I asked my ortho when I was going through the consults and she said that she can take the braces off for me during that time and then put them back on afterwards with no problems.
4 Wisdoms Removed 11/14/05
Upper Teeth Braced/Expander 11/22/05
Lower Teeth Braced/Expander 11/28/05

LoobyLou

#7 Post by LoobyLou »

Bethne3 you took the words right out of my mouth! My ortho once mentioned to me that he had recently taken a lady's braces off for her wedding and out them back on again so it is possible to have them taken off for weddings at least...I'm sure it would also be OK for graduation pictures too...

Good luck!
LoobyLou xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

IndyBraceFace

#8 Post by IndyBraceFace »

First and foremost, you should express your concerns with your ortho. or parents about how you feel you can't ask questions. No question is a stupid question.

Secondly, an alternate route if you can't get your braces taken off is to ask if your photographer can photoshop the braces out.

sammylynn

#9 Post by sammylynn »

Yes they definatley can move.. I hade mine off for 3 days and my top teeth had all moved and seemed to be even more crooked then before I got braces.. anyway, also if your willing to keep them on with clear ligs and your ortho doesn't offer them I would just pop in to another orthos office I'm sure they would put some on for you for a very small fee if not free:) Good Luck Oh an also.. you can probably have your photos air brushed.. justa thought

fozzy

#10 Post by fozzy »

I have a feeling that you actually mean clear brackets, and not ligs... My ortho doesn't offer anything except for the traditional metal brackets either. I feel for you!
What about having the grad photographer airbrush out your braces?