Is tooth shaving included normally

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tcw

Is tooth shaving included normally

#1 Post by tcw »

My ortho indicated that she would like to shave some of my teeth to make them narrower. This is fine with me, and I've seen many posts from other people on this forum that had it done as well.

My question is, is this normally covered as part of the treatment?

The reason I ask is that during my dental check-up, my dentist offered to do it. I would expect to need to pay him, whereas my ortho would have done it for free.

I want to be armed with information before he steps forward and asks me to pay him. I'd rather have her (my ortho) do it for free.

I supposed a 2nd question would be wheter or not dentits or orthodontists are typically better at this. I personally wouldn't think it matters.

Thanks,
Ted

braceface1230

#2 Post by braceface1230 »

I too would like to have it done. So I mentioned it to my ortho, and he said he'd like to wait til I'm further along in my treatment. So I know that he does it, but I'm not sure if it will require additional cost. I'm going to guess and say, no it doesn't. From all the others that mentioned it here, I can't remember anyone saying they paid additional money.

Lyn

#3 Post by Lyn »

I have my teeth "slenderized" at each ortho visit. Just the lowers to make room for a wayward tooth. Also a spring is there to help make room.

It is included in my total price.

Good luck :D
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

Megera_S

#4 Post by Megera_S »

If it was mentioned in your treatment plan or during your consult then it should be included. It doesnt hurt to ask if you're not sure :)
Four Wisdom Teeth Extracted: January 2000
Lower First Bicuspids Extracted: Nov. 1st, 2005
Braces on: Nov. 24th, 2005
Duration: 24 months

Tin Man

#5 Post by Tin Man »

My ortho did the service for free. It doesn't take all that long and it didn't hurt at all. The only thing that sucked was the spacers I had to deal with in preparation

With that said I would say DO NOT under any circumstances let your dentist do this unless he is somehow in touch with your ortho. This is no way your dentist would have any idea as to what your ortho has for the final plan on your teeth (ie - what he makes straight now can be crooked when your treatment is finished).
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

It was included for free in my ortho treatment.

It was majorly painful (because my roots were sore at that time) but it resulted in my two bottom teeth moving into line in a matter of DAYS. So definitely worth it!

tcw

#7 Post by tcw »

With that said I would say DO NOT under any circumstances let your dentist do this unless he is somehow in touch with your ortho.
In my case, the dentist and ortho are in the same building and although each one is technically an independent contractor, they all work together as one practice.
(ie - what he makes straight now can be crooked when your treatment is finished)
However, I think I agree with your second point despite having the dentist nearby, the ortho has the best understaning of the treatment and the final results.

Thanks for your post.

KJM

#8 Post by KJM »

I believe that the tooth reshaping and any slenderizing that I might need is included in the treatment cost.
I agree that you should have the ortho do it, and not your dentist. Your ortho will want to be precise with any slenderizing for the best possible outcome of your orthodontia.
If your still concerned, call the orthodontists office and ask. I am sure that they will be happy to answer any questions for you.:)
Good luck!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

texasangel

#9 Post by texasangel »

My dentist/ortho has slenderized both top and bottom front teeth to eliminate the "black triangles" (spaces) by the gumline and it was no extra cost. Then when I'm all finished and braces come off he will even out all the front teeth on top and bottom (horizontally). :D
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!

momsbracesat42

Shaving teeth

#10 Post by momsbracesat42 »

My ortho would rather shave a tooth down than extracate. He hates to remove the teeth unless it is necessary. I am going to have to have a few shaved to make room for a wayward virgin tooth (I am 42 and this tooth has never been in contact with an upper tooth). This is included in my treatment plan but I am not sure when it will be done. I will check on my next visit on March 7 when the bottom braces are placed.
----------

mayday

#11 Post by mayday »

My dentist/ortho has slenderized both top and bottom front teeth to eliminate the "black triangles" (spaces) by the gumline and it was no extra cost. Then when I'm all finished and braces come off he will even out all the front teeth on top and bottom (horizontally). :D
I am glad I found this. I was wondering what was meant by "recontouring" and the black spaces. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier--I was assuming it meant something like a stain-per se.

I believe I will getting this done at some point.

vivi21

#12 Post by vivi21 »

my ortho also told me that i would be having that done too & is included in my prize :)
Got my Braces on 08-04-06
Now on Hawley