What do you think of people with crooked teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Will

What do you think of people with crooked teeth?

#1 Post by Will »

Now that you have braces and most likely have really straight teeth in the near future, will you think badly of people who have crooked teeth?

Say for instance that you are not married and are dating... would teeth play a factor in which person you would choose?

maybe it's just me who thinks these weird things :?
Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

Silverware

#2 Post by Silverware »

I think it's a valid discussion. Now that I have braces, it seems that I look at other people's teeth a lot more. I guess it's just out of curiosity and because I am excited to soon have a smile that I won't be embarassed about.

As for your question, I don't think I'd be judgemental about someone with crooked teeth. I know what it is like, having them for 22 years! Although, in the back of my mind I'll always want to recommend them to my Ortho :)

Even if you aren't covered by any type of insurance, many orthos are very understanding. I am a student and fund my own education, and am now paying for my own braces. I was able to get a payment plan over 2 years interest free.

luxekitty

#3 Post by luxekitty »

I might wonder how they feel about themselves, some people don't seem to give a hoot about their crooked teeth (more power to them!), others seem really bugged by it.

As far as "judging" people or not dating them based on their teeth, I personally couldn't go that far. It's hard enough to find a nice guy, let alone if you're gonna nitpick things like teeth quality. Though if he had 4 teeth or something I might pause and wonder if he takes care of himself..lol.
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evelyn

#4 Post by Evelyn »

I don't judge people if they have bad teeth, but it's when they think they're teeth are better than mine because they don't have braces (even though they might need them) that I get annoyed. You know the types, that friend who has crooked or a bad bite and doesn't outright say anything mean about your braces, but you can tell thinks that they are in some way shape or form better than you because they don't have braces...It's then that I want to scream at them get your butt in the orthodontist's chair-your teeth aren't perfect either. Besides, I'm doing this because I want to and not because I have to.

Straight teeth are something that I value very highly. If a person doesn't judge me based on my braces, I will definately not judge them based on their teeth, but in the dating world, I definately do value a nice, straight smile.
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I am really judgemental. Unfortunately that's just how I am. I had a friend who had really straight teeth but he took antibiotics when he was younger and his teeth were just so yellow/stained. He really, really needed to whiten them. I think I would rather see crooked white healthy teeth than straight, yellow dirty unhealthy looking teeth. I have seen people with crooked teeth that look pretty good. Look at Kirsten Dunst for one. She looks good I think.

http://www.starwrecked.faketrix.com/con ... -dunst.jpg

hollywood_smile

#6 Post by hollywood_smile »

Look at Kirsten Dunst for one. She looks good I think.
, sorry, from my point of view, everytime i think on hollywood ppl and stuff lol! :lol: specially on teeth, kirsten dunst always comes into my mind, and i always think...gosh poor girl she is pretty, but if she would just straighten her teeth... :? she d be a real star, for some thats her charm, that she looks like a girl next door..but.. ilove her movies but i hate when she smiles and her tooth comes out, she has one pretty anoying for the view...sorry.. :? and to me yeah, smiles and white teeth is a big issue, if i like a guy and he smiles and his teeth are not right in anyway, by that instant im sooo over him! and dont even think on asking me out.....i hate myself when i think like that but....cant help it.. im obssessed with teeth and smiles :shock:
so yeah, crooked teeth is a huge thing to me, friends with crooked teeth or yellowsih or stained i automatically take them as low people that dont care at all about their looks and no ambitions....."a beautiful smile opens any door" (i guess its wrong but welll, you get the idea :wink: ) but then again, im obssessed...:s.........
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

ingyandbert

#7 Post by ingyandbert »

I wanted to straighten my teeth for many, many years. But I was on a single income having to pay for student loans, mortgage, and all the other monthly expenses (and I didn't have dental insurance). I've taken the first opportunity I had to get my braces. So, having been one of them, would I be critical of someone with crooked teeth? NO! That's ridiculous.

dena

#8 Post by dena »

After being so so self-conscious all my life about my teeth, I could never put that on someone else.

I've actually thought about teeth and a significant other a lot--I would want my partner to have healthy, straight, nice teeth, but I wouldn't not date someone because they had crooked teeth.

Actually, I honestly don't think I could date someone that would be like that either. I mean, if there was someone that never asked me out when my teeth were crooked that asks me out later, when the braces are off, I don't think I could even date them. I have to know that isn't important to someone in my life.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Orth-ohno!

#9 Post by Orth-ohno! »

Honestly, their teeth would have to be pretty bad before I'd make any judgements. Personally, I find yellow or discolored teeth more disturbing than crooked teeth! I've lived with a gap my whole life, and that wasn't enough to get me to take the plunge. Ultimately, it was the bite issues and health issues that got the ball rolling for me. I wont deny that I'm excited about the prospect of having a nice smile, but to me that's more like the icing on the cake than the actual prize. Just my two cents. :wink:

weird_wired

#10 Post by weird_wired »

People with very crooked teeth I have always felt sorry for. Presumably they are too scared or too poor to fix them, and you can see people "hiding their teeth" which is sad. And you know that very crooked teeth cause other dental problems. It's a bit like when you see someone with really bad acne - it's not their fault at all, but you really feel for them.

People with slightly crooked teeth I don't really think about. They just look normal/natural.

People with strongly yellow teeth - particularly young people - bewilder me. A girl at work got married, late-20s, and her teeth were such a dull yellow grey that a friend and I actually speculated she might have a medical complaint (she was a big smoker and red wine drinker though). I really thought she might have got them fixed before the wedding. When I got mine bleached, everyone in the office was really impressed, including her, but she never "took the hint" for her own teeth. Beyond saying: "yes, it was really easy, I am so glad I spent the money!" and praising my dentist, I didn't feel I could say anything more direct.

I suppose the good thing is that she presumably doesn't notice/care, and she's happy with her teeth, and that's really what counts.

Actors with very crooked teeth are also bewildering, especially younger ones playing "pretty" roles. Kate Moss's teeth are awful, I am surprised she never had them done. I saw a film with Toni Collette (brilliant actress) and couldn't help wondering why she didn't have them straightened. Not Hollywood-veneer-perfect, just a little straighter.

missing_tooth

#11 Post by missing_tooth »

I do wonder if they every considered treatment. I've met people with very crooked teeth who could care less. But then again, they don't care of them selves as a whole. So.....

- Missing Tooth -
Last edited by missing_tooth on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

venusasaboy

#12 Post by venusasaboy »

Well even though i'm only 18, and I might just be shallow because I am young, but the thing I like MOST in a guy is his smile. He's got to have that perfect straight white smile. A smile can make even an "okay" looking guy really hot. I usually always end up liking guys who have had braces and it's funny because you can kind of tell who has and who hasn't. Obviously, if i'm taking the time and money and effort to make my teeth perfect, then i'm not going to date somebody who has nasty teeth either. That's how i've always been. And I think it's fair, since I have braces in all and my teeth are really straight now, to want a boy to have really nice teeth as well. It's not like it's hypocritical or anything! I sometimes think it's really cute though when guys have had braces and then never wore their retainer and they have like one out of place tooth on the bottom, awwww that's really cute. but the rest have to be totally straight! no exceptions! :]
I'm going to have braces forever :[

braceface1230

#13 Post by braceface1230 »

To those people who wouldn't give a second thought to a guy or girl without a perfect smile, you've just shown something far more unattractive than crooked teeth... and that's how incredibly arrogant, shallow, and judgemental you are. With no exception. You may be able to get braces to fix your teeth, but there's nothing you can do for ignorance. Think about that the next time someone doesn't bow down to you and kiss your a##. It's because your arrogance is just shining on through.

nimo

#14 Post by nimo »

My husband has big gaps in his teeth, but my teeth look worse than his, so I couldn't care less. There's a difference between crooked teeth and rotting teeth. If someone I dated had crooked teeth, I really didn't care, as long as they took care of themselves. You can't prevent crooked teeth on your own. But just brushing every day keeps your teeth healthier than leaving them alone.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

OnMyWay

#15 Post by OnMyWay »

"and for you or anyone to make the assumption that 'crooked teeth and not caring less about themselves' could go together ... is one of the worst things I've seen written on this board! I am totally offended by what you say ... but I will recover!"

Hmmm....kk why couldn't it go together. Maybe not in all cases and maybe not even in the majority of cases but it is the case sometimes. I don't think missing tooth was saying its that way for everyone.

I have no problem with crooked teeth as long as they are taken care of. There's a big difference between the two.