Braces & Migraines

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sleater

Braces & Migraines

#1 Post by sleater »

Hi..

Does anyone on here suffer from Migraines? I mean the full on headache, aura, numbness & nausea Migraines. If so, has having braces increased or decreased the frequency of the Migraines for you?

Thanks!
S

02/03/06 - 4 extractions (14, 44, 24 & 34)
02/06/06 - spacers
02/11/06 - braces

hannah164

#2 Post by hannah164 »

Hi Sleater!

I have suffered from chronic sever migraine headaches for more than half of my life! :shock: Honestly I don't think the braces make them any worse! The pain after adjustment can just add to the pain from your migraine but i don't think the braces themselves cause more migraines! :?

There's a topic specifically about migraines under the Off Topic Section if you want more info. on migraines.

Good luck!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment is 2/1/06 where they will bond a bracket to my cuspid which was impacted!!!!

50+

Re: Braces & Migraines

#3 Post by 50+ »

I've experienced more migraines lately since I've gotten braces....never saw the connection until now. Still not sure if there is a connection. I'm finding that i get a migraine on Saturdays and this last weekend got one after a Tuesday adjustment and rubber bands were added to my treatment. I'm going to notice in the future if there is any correlation between the two. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

ArchWired28

#4 Post by ArchWired28 »

I suffer from migraines with vomiting. So far I have not noticed any changes with braces. If anything, their frequency might have decreased, but it has not been long enough yet to make a definite conclusion.

I think it is important to distinguish between a migraine and a tension headache. While those two might feel somehwta similar sometimes, they have different etiologies. Migraines are caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, and thus I don't compeltely understand how braces can affect that. Tension headaches - yes, very possible.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

My real migraines are food related, so I can tell the difference between really bad headaches and migraines. Braces have given me some awful headaches, they start at the connecting points of my jaw and move up into my face and head. Pretty awful headaches, but nothing like a migraine.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Snowglobe32

#6 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I guess I am one of the lucky ones...I had bad migraines for many years until I got braces. The kind where you were I had to sleep it off if I didn't catch it quick enough, dizziness, vomiting and on occasion, the flashing lights. Since month one, I have never had a migraine again. I do get "normal" headaches that are associated with adjustments, elastics etc.

Roboto

#7 Post by Roboto »

I haven't really noticed a change in the frequency of my migraines since I've gotten braces, but I find that they're more weather-, food-, and time of the month-related. For the most part, they haven't given me many headaches at all. I think I'm too focused on the tooth pain sometimes to even notice my head.

flynn

#8 Post by flynn »

I have had migraines for 20 years now and a neurologist is why I got braces- they are finding a link between bites that are off- especially those with small jaws - and migraines. I have a very small jaw and my bite is really off. Dr said braces could help, once bite is fixed, then bones are situated they way they are meant to be, then migraines may decrease. I am desperate to reduce migraines, so hear I am at 39, in braces (plus a nice smile is a great incentive).
So far, at just over a month in, I can the migraines have not increased, are not triggered by the braces, and sadly, havent decreased yet- LOL
I will definitely keep updating and post results after they come off. I hope every one does, because anything that can reduce migraines needs to be shared.
Life is a journey- make the most of your trip!