How long did YOUR impacted canine take to come into place?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braced6226

#61 Post by braced6226 »

argh sorry for the double post, it double sent after it failed the first time : :oops:

fyrelight

#62 Post by fyrelight »

braced6226, I had my braces removed just a few months after the teeth came down into their place... they had to be aligned a bit, needed a bit of elastics, but only took 3-4 months, because the rest of the teeth were already set from being in braces those years.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Way Too Old For This

#63 Post by Way Too Old For This »

braced6226, my canine only took about 6 months to come down so with my 2 1/2 year 'sentence', I will have had my braces 2 years after the canine took her place in the line up.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

bazwoman

#64 Post by bazwoman »

Hi Shawnie,
I am in similar position to you. He will leave the babies to see if they will come down. From my appointment on Friday looks like they are moving! I nearly had a party to celebrate. I wont get braces on for another while though. Must come up with a name for them too!

I saw you had 6 baby teeth!!! What happened the other 4 babies, did you have adult replacements for them?

Braced 6226, as you will probably guess I am also in your situation. From reading the previous stories I think the time frame is different for everyone, from following other stories I think patience is the name of the game!!! Will you keep me posted?

Baz

Shawnie

#65 Post by Shawnie »

Hi Brazwoman,

My four baby molars do not have any permanent replacements. My ortho is just moving them like the rest of my teeth. He said that they were fine to move, so hopefully they will last a long time. If at some point in my life they fall out then I'll get implants, but I'm going to wait as long as I can.

Good luck with everything
Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

mayday

#66 Post by mayday »

At my first consultation and dentist appt, Ortho 1 made it seem like I had a very peculiar case--at least I know this isn't the case. It's good to know I'm not alone in this. But maybe he meant the difficulty of it.
Combined with my other problem areas, he gave me like 3-4 years. That's why he referred me to my current ortho and the possibility of AOO.

Gahh, reading this thread has answered some of my questions, but has also made me more nervous. I have an impacted canine that is due for an exposure. When I was considering AOO, my ortho said it would take about 10-12 mo, (6-8 if I didn't have the impacted tooth), so I can only imagine how much longer it will take with conventional (he estimated 24-30). Here's to hoping it doesn't take longer :( .

johnm2491

Re: How long did YOUR impacted canine take to come into place?

#67 Post by johnm2491 »

Hey Idk how old this thread is or if anyone uses it anymore but i just had my tooth exposed on the roof of my mouth going almost horizontally and the ortho thinks it will move once a chain is hooked to it but i worry about everything and overthink everything and I am currently being brought down by thinking it won't move cause i'm 24 going on 25. I may not be that old for it to be fused to bone but i feel like its too late to do anything. Anyone with similar treatment at this age? any help would be awesome.

ditsy

#68 Post by ditsy »

Heya john, I had mine attached last March and now my tooth is very close to being in place :) I'm 28, I did wonder if it would move as I figured it hadn't come down before so didn't really think the brace would make much difference but it soon went on the move. I hope yours is as successful x

elephantmaster123

#69 Post by elephantmaster123 »

I had my canine exposed around a year ago. The exposure was not in the palate but near my gums near my lips (i dont know how better to explain it). The exposure took around an hour and a half.
My orthodontist didn't connect a chain from my tooth through, he just waited for it to come down after being exposed and then connected it to my wire. It took around 6 months!!

belgent

#70 Post by belgent »

I'm 15 and I got my exposure surgery on June 1 (2016). My bottom right canine is horizontal in my gums. I have had braces for 15 months before my surgery and I am only supposed to have them for a total of 24 months. Will my tooth come up within that 8/9 month span? I just dont want my braces on longer than they're supposed to be. Any advice would be helpful

Unikittylives

#71 Post by Unikittylives »

I had my expose and bond procedure in June and saw my tooth earlier this month. I am 26 and was a little concerned that if wouldnt move either! I went to the ortho and they attached a metal contraption to my chain. Every post that I've read talks about having to go to the ortho every 3 weeks to get more pressure on the chain. However I am still going to my regular appointments every two months!! The contraption he put onto my braces is so obnoxious and now that it has pulled down the tooth it is causing me to bite down on it. My tooth is poking out and I can see it! I return to the ortho on August 2nd and am excited to see more movement.

Clam

#72 Post by Clam »

I'm actually so glad that I stumbled upon this thread! I've had an impacted canine for the past 25 years (seeing as I am 25 now) and I just got it exposed last week and the oral surgeon attached a bracket and gold chain to it. When I went back today for my check up the oral surgeon didn't seem as optimistic as I am about it moving into place. My ortho on the other hand is just as optimistic as I am and hopes that it moves in, in a somewhat timely fashion. I had my braces put on last October and he estimated that I should have them on for 1 1/2 years. Granted he had to make room for my canine to move in because all of my other teeth kinda closed in on the dang baby tooth that had overstayed it's welcome lol

Shelleyt

#73 Post by Shelleyt »

When I had braces when I was 15-16, my upper left canine (which was in my gum line and barely exposed,but I didn't have to have the exposure surgery), it had a button attached to it and came down low enough for a bracket within 2 weeks! Once the bracket was on, it was pulled down all the way within 2 more weeks. I don't think most people are that lucky, and now that I'm trying to get my other canines in place, I'm thinking it will only be a few months for the upper right which is at least 1cm exposed, but I'm not as confident about my bottom two. First, it is more rare and, according to my oral surgeon, more problematic to have impacted lowers since lower teeth have more crowding and longer roots, not to mention that Gravity is working against bringing those teeth up. One is half in, but severely rotated. The other is very deep in my gums (baby tooth still there) and will have to be exposed. Ortho said we are 50/50 about bringing it up. I'm having the extraction/exposure in 3 months.

braceface22

#74 Post by braceface22 »

I got my surgery done last week at the oral surgeon. My tooth is in a position where it will come down very easily. My tooth is barely leaning towards the left so they are just pulling it towards the right so that they can pull it down straight. My tooth is right above the gum opening so it will most likely come down quickly. I just got the chain tightened for the first time and it hurts so bad. Does anyone know how long the pain of the chain pulling last?

Clam

#75 Post by Clam »

When I got the chain attached to the wire my mouth was a bit sore for like 3-4 days.. I still had to eat some soft foods but was able to take it easy with other foods as well. I can already see some progress from two weeks ago when it first got exposed!