How long did YOUR impacted canine take to come into place?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fyrelight

#46 Post by fyrelight »

Mine didn't have a problem when they came in.... but.... you have to remember, I had THREE exposure surgeries! The first one just attached the chain... the 2nd and 3rd were to leave uncovered the canines, so they cut away some gum there. In fact, today, I don't have enough gum there, I think.... it often hurts when I get a cleaning if I don't warn the dentist ahead of time not to dig too deep when scaling those teeth.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Way Too Old For This

#47 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Mine feels REALLY weird, going sideways across the roof if my mouth. I will sure be glad when she's over there where the other teeth are. Plus the bracket on her sticks down just enough to slice my tongue every once in a while.

I'm wondering if the roof of my mouth will be really sensitive once that tooth isn't there anymore. Will there be a big hole?

Or will Ruth really ever move all the way over or will she just hang out 'in palate' forever? Will I still call her Ruth once she isn't 'special' anymore, but just another tooth thats all lined up perfect like the others?
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

finally

Canines

#48 Post by finally »

I know this thread is old but there are so many similarities to my situation. I have never met anyone who had the same "condition" that I've had and I could use some other people's stories and advice for moral support. I really never thought that this brace journey would be so emotional but it is. There's too many what ifs and I'm such a worrier. (Karen, help me out here). :wink:

Okay, so baby canines never fell out. At 18 during my pregnancy canines broke through the roof of my mouth ( I never knew what they were; always thought i had food stuck on the top.) they broke through real slow. Why does this happen? I'm inclined to think my parents were bad people now for not taking me to a darn dentist! Or inclined to get mad at the dentist who did see me!!
At any rate, how will I know that these canines won't be ankylosed? I've read about it and am now paranoid about the whole thing.

I have been depressed thinking of the road ahead of me and any "surprises" that might come my way.

:cry:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2 Corinthians 4:17

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a battle." -Plato

Shawnie

#49 Post by Shawnie »

Hi Finally,

I'm thinking that since your canines broke through on their own that this is a good thing. If they were truely ankylosed I don't believe that they would move at all.

Seeing as they broke through on their own, you also won't have to have the canine exposure surgery like myself and others on these boards have had.

Good luck with everything and I'd be glad to help if you have any other questions. I'm going through this right now with one canines (Laverne) moving right along, but the other one (Shirley) not moving at all.

Take care
Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

finally

#50 Post by finally »

Thanks, Shawnie! I hope they move into place with ease.

finally

#51 Post by finally »

Yep, I've got a list going for the ortho and I will let you know how my next visit goes...1/16/06 and I can't wait!

I'm so grateful for this site! I've had so many concerns answered here as well as things I thought were just happening to me!

Thank you~

P.S. You're right, no use blaming others. I'm sure if something needed to be done back then it would've been done. Everything happens for a reason.

I'm getting used to my toothless grin. Makes me look young. Like I'm 5.

finally

#52 Post by finally »

Just for the fun of it all I'm going to name my canines too. They've been hiding for so long and now they're going to be forced to see the world.

Okay:

Left Canine: Stub
Right Canine: Bern

BraceFace12

#53 Post by BraceFace12 »

lets see, i believe it was just a few months, like 3 or so in total...like my orthodontist said, i have the fastest moving teeth she has ever seen
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

Shawnie

#54 Post by Shawnie »

Welcome Stub and Bern to the canine club. I hope things move real fast for you. You are already one step ahead with having them come through the palate on their own.

I was never taken to a dentist as a child so never knew that I had impacted canines. I still had the baby canines and always thought that I just had little teeth there. When I went to the dentist for the first time in my life in my early 20's it was then that I had an xray and the impacted teeth were discovered.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Take Care
Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
6 baby teeth!

bazwoman

leaving baby teeth in until adult are further down

#55 Post by bazwoman »

Hi guys,
This is a small bit off the topic but have any of you heard of the ortho leaving the baby teeth in until the adult come reasonably far down. I mention this because: well in my case I had surgery 2 years ago (didnt work), had to have it done again 5 weeks ago. At my consultation with the oral surgeon I nervously asked what would happen if it didnt work this time, I think in an effort to make me feel better she said that the options would be to leave the baby teeth in and work with them, or get implants or bridge. She said nothing about extractions of adult I think in an effort not to make me even more nervous.

Similarily a friend of mine had one impacted canine, had the surgery, when the adult tooth was down a bit after about 8 months they then removed the baby teeth and only then did she get braced up.

From reading all of your messages, it seems that the babies were always out before or at the same time as the surgery was carried out? And also that the braces were put on immediately?

I go back to the ortho tomorrow, I have no idea of what he is going to tell me of the next stage :?

Also just to say thanks, all your posts are soooo interesting, lets hope patience really is a virtue!!

Cheerio
Baz

bazwoman

#56 Post by bazwoman »

Thanks Karen,
I guess it is different for everyone. I will definitely be getting the braces as my teeth are quite crooked and I have overcrowding at the bottom. I am not sure of what my full treatment will be yet, I think they are sparing me from the details so as to not frighten me off. Am all geared with questions for tomorrow thanks to you and the others.

Thanks again.

Baz

finally

#57 Post by finally »

Bazwoman, when I realized that my canines were actually baby teeth I wanted to keep them up for cosmetic reasons. Nobody ever knew they weren't the "right" teeth until I pointed them out. I was content to have my teeth stay that way forever; however, my right one started exposing its root and then the root started turning brown. My dentist said it wouldn't last that much longer. It didn't. When I bit into a sandwich it broke off. Luckily the root was exposed enough to get the rest of it extracted. It could've been worse and required surgery.

Anyways, if the tooth looks fine I would keep it in until you start your treatment..that is if your dentist recommends it. What does your dentist say?

Shawnie

#58 Post by Shawnie »

Hi Brazwoman,

I had my braces put on before the exposure surgery was done. I had the two baby canines still, and since they were still strong, no decay and long roots my ortho said we could just leave them in. We were going to keep the babies untill we knew that the permanent canines were not ankylosed then pull the babies.

So far one impacted canine (Laverne) has moved and the baby has been pulled. I just had a second exposure surgery on (Shirley) my right canine, and the baby is still in place. So if Shirley moves then we'll pull the other baby, that's the plan anyway.

If Shirley doesn't move then I will keep the baby, it will be bracketed and moved in place. I will keep the baby untill it falls out and at that time I would get an implant. You never know how long it will last. I also have four baby molars (no permanent molars) that they are moving with the braces. My ortho thought they were fine to move. I'm almost fourteen months into this and there are fine so far.

I am glad that I decided to keep the baby canines as it may end up that Shirley is ankylosed and this way I don't have to have an implant - at least not yet.

Take Care,
Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
6 baby teeth!

braced6226

#59 Post by braced6226 »

Hi (I'm a newbie)
I was braced on Thursday and am getting one upper canine extracted in early Feb next year. I understand from this thread that it can take awhile for the tooth to come down, but once the tooth comes down what happens next? Can anyone say from experience how long they had their braces after their tooth took its place?
Thankyou! :D

braced6226

#60 Post by braced6226 »

Hi (I'm a newbie)
I was braced on Thursday and am getting one upper canine extracted in early Feb next year. I understand from this thread that it can take awhile for the tooth to come down, but once the tooth comes down what happens next? Can anyone say from experience how long they had their braces after their tooth took its place?
Thankyou! :D