How long did YOUR impacted canine take to come into place?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

izzicakes

Re: How long did YOUR impacted canine take to come into place?

#76 Post by izzicakes »

I'm currently wondering how long this is gonna take for me since I'm 24 and I got braces at 19 because of baby teeth being in place of my canines. I had surgery a year ago and only yesterday I saw that my left side has started to show through the gums but my right side is longer and higher up and not seeing any movement from that. I had my impacted canines attached to a little gold chain and hooked to the back of my braces. I only have my top braces on cause I only needed it for the top but my dentist told me I should get my bottom braces on before the year is out. I'm just waiting on the tooth to come out before I get the bottom ones done. I'm just tired of having a gap on either side of my bunny teeth :(

Clam

#77 Post by Clam »

I had my canine exposed at the end of July and I just noticed last night that I can see the tooth coming through the gums. I'm pretty excited lol

Kirst

#78 Post by Kirst »

Well, I didnt realise I still had a baby tooth till I was 14.. I went to the dentist and they told me I had a k9 stuck behind it in my gums! Great! So months later I had the baby tooth removed and left for a while to heal, then they gave me the joy of braces. A few months later I had surgery on the big tooth long story short they attached a chain onto the tooth and onto my brace. The tooth didn't move for about 4 months. The tooth has had all sorts stuck onto it to twist it, turn it, you name it. It's been an year and 4 months since I've had them on and FINALLY the tooth is of any chains and freely coming through ( id say half the tooth is there) frustrating as all my teeth are straight :/ ! Been a long time but will be worth it in the end. Hopefully it should come all the way through within the Start of the new year !

adg1970

#79 Post by adg1970 »

I recently learned that my 10 year sons top canine teeth are impacted and laying horizontally directly below his nose, just over where they should be coming down into (but sideways). The 3 Ortho Drs at our office consulted on treatment for him. One Dr said try and movethem down by expose and bonding, one said to have them removed and the other was on the fence. We decided to try and move them in to place knowing that if it doesn't work we will have to have them removed and implants put in when he is older. From everything I have read and been told, keeping your canine teeth is best, if possible. I have been very nervous for the surgery to bond and expose, but it was done yesterday. The surgeon agreed that we should try this route and removal of the teeth would be just as evasive if not more so, and the canines are important teeth. He was fairly positive that once they started pulling on the teeth they would come down okay with proper monitoring by our Ortho. The Ortho and surgeon both told us they would probably have to go in on the palate side of his teeth and bond to the inside of the teeth because of their location. We were very happy that after the surgery he told us he was able to bond to the front side so my son just has stitches on his gum line. They pulled the baby canines and now the chains are coming out of the spot where the canines need to come through. My son has some swelling on his upper lip/cheeks but is doing remarkably well today. Is off prescription pain meds and just taking ibuprophen! He usually does have a fairly high pain tolerance though. We wait a month to go have the remainder of his braces put on (were waiting until after surgery for most of them) and tension put be on his chains. I hope the teeth move faster than some people who have posted- but we will be patient! The surgeon said he removed some bone around the canines and they were loose, which was good!! Keeping our fingers crossed- will update when have more news! Good luck everyone! Thanks for the blog info!!

pieszeckipower

#80 Post by pieszeckipower »

Ugh. I just had my braces and gold chain put on yesterday. Wisdom teeth and baby tooth were removed a week ago. Impacted canine had started to come through the roof of my mouth on its own, so I'm hoping it will cooperate nicely with treatment and allow itself to be pulled down quickly. I'm not thrilled with the idea of a dental implant, so I hope this works.

I opted for clear brackets on my braces, which makes me feel somewhat better about being a 27 year old adult with braces. -.-

Charlotte77

#81 Post by Charlotte77 »

I had my operation on 30th December 2015 when I was 15, I got braces 7th January 2016.
I had a bracket put on the tooth with the chain to the gap with they attached to the wire on 2 impacted canines one in the right position and one lying horizontally just under my nose, the one in the right position came down in a couple of months and it's only just now that my other one has started to poke through after 19 months. I've been estimated 3 years of the time but I'm hoping it'll be shorter. At the start I had my appointments every 10 weeks which was absolutely infuriating as it felt like nothing was happening but it was just very slowly, it's now gone down to 8 which is always a good sign after I've been told it's beyond slower than the norm in this situation so my ortho has changed the technique she's used and has used a looped wire which is dropping down because my tooths moved more quickly so now I'm begginging to chew on it with everything I eat. Hoping she seems more optimistic when I go again next week. But don't give up when it feels like nothing's happening, I've thrown my fair share of strops!

pieszeckipower

#82 Post by pieszeckipower »

I'm back, almost five months in braces! My next adjustment is tomorrow. I'm happy to report that my impacted canine (which I have since named "Frankentooth") is moving really quickly! I can now see it poking down when I look at the front of my mouth. From the roof of my mouth it is entirely visible. It's almost down enough for my ortho to put a regular bracket on! It's a little frustrating because in the last week the tooth has been moving really fast, so if my adjustment was in a couple weeks it might have been down enough to bracket, but that's life I guess! I'm just happy it's moving.

cmessetter

#83 Post by cmessetter »

I got my surgery done at the end of march 2017 and have a chain in my mouth to pull my canine down. Its been 7 months now October 2017 and there's still no sign of it.

izzicakes

#84 Post by izzicakes »

Wow I had surgery 2 years ago in August and I've had one impacted tooth worked on and so it's out and attached to a regular bracket while the other is rather low but still hidden beneath the gum. I waited for at least progress with one tooth before I got my bottom braces on which was today...
I'm 25 and this is my 4th year with braces, I'd really love for them to be off by Christmas 2018 or by my wedding at least :(

Lis23

#85 Post by Lis23 »

Hello. Just wanted to tell my story here. Well my son's story. He's 13 and had the surgery almost two months ago. Braces a couple of weeks after. Along with a palette expander. So far I haven't seen any progress except for the gap forming between his two front teeth. We see the ortho tomorrow and hopefully they can start pulling on both canines soon.

nicky1542

#86 Post by nicky1542 »

As of now Im still in the process of the canine tooth to come down. I had gotten my braces when I was 11 and the surgery was done when I was 15. Now Im 18 about to turn 19 and still nothing. My dentist keeps telling me that it takes time and I have to be patient but I think Ive been patient enough waiting 4 years since the surgery and 8 years with braces in total. It sounds crazy and everyone that asks me is always in shock that ive had them for this long. He says 2 more months till the tooth comes down but he always says that not sure what to believe. Having braces for almost 8 years is annoying and super frustrating. Just hoping I won't turn 20 with these still on.
-Nicole

Krystal

#87 Post by Krystal »

My impacted canine was located in the front and it took 4 months to be in line with my other teeth.

vampirefangs22

#88 Post by vampirefangs22 »

My 3 impacted canines all erupted within 3 months after the chains were first activated. I was lucky that they all came in that quickly. Even my orthodontist noticed how quickly they came in.