When did progress slow down for you?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drazda

When did progress slow down for you?

#1 Post by drazda »

I have had braces for 6 weeks. The first 3 weeks, I noticed a TON of change and shifting, the 2nd 3 weeks, I've noticed nothing. :( When did progress start slowing down for you?
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

lilsisbet

#2 Post by lilsisbet »

Drazda.... I have to tell you that the picture of your dog makes me smile. He/She is adoreable. What kind of dog is it?

As for your question, I go through stages. After about 3 months things started to slow down as far as noticing progress. Then I had a wire changed and I started to see progress again. However, I constantly have people telling me what a difference they can see. I think that because we are always looking at our teeth, we don't always see the subtle differences. In the end its all about patience.

Good luck.
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!

drazda

#3 Post by drazda »

Thanks lilsisbet. That dog always makes me smile too, it's just adorable. It's a relative's dog, I'm not quite sure what kind.

You're right, I do need to be more patient. It's been 6 weeks, I have over 22 more months to go.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

weird_wired

#4 Post by weird_wired »

Shifting goes in phases. It takes the bone behind the tooth longer to regrow than the bone in front to compress. So maybe until that bone has grown, it's hard for the tooth to move much.

Evelyn

#5 Post by Evelyn »

How nice it would be if every time we looked in the mirror we saw progress...alas alack this is not the case. I get frustrated too, if only I could have seen progress any time I had braces it would have been nice but I think in reality the only time you can 'see' progress is to look at pictures of your teeth from a long time ago and compare them. It would be a bad thing if teeth always moved so fast that you could see them change because that would be incredibly unhealthy for the roots. Braces take time, I'll just leave it at that.

Good luck with things, and by the way I love the pic of the dog in your avatar as well-so cute!

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

WEll probably after about 6 weeks at most I stopped seeing progress! :shock: Because of how many baby teeth I had I only got two bands and 3 brackets on top for about the first 6-9 months of teatment! :? I saw the huge gap between my two front teeth close and that was about all the progress I saw for a long time! :(

I am finally starting to see some progress after about 18 months but I'm just an unusual case so that probably won't be anyone else's case! :roll:

Good luck! THe dog in your avatar is absolutely adorable! I miss my dogs so much! :cry:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

shinyam

#7 Post by shinyam »

You're not alone, actually! I saw tremendous change after six weeks, like you. Then ... nothing. For over a year now. :(

I'm praying that I will see another major change. Because this is getting so frustrating. :(

jimmy18

#8 Post by jimmy18 »

I haven't seen much of a change since a little after my first adjustment. Which would have been about 4-5 weeks after being braced.

Hopefully something will change soon. Some powerchains would be nice.

montesser

#9 Post by montesser »

I've had mine for about a month, and have not noticed any noticable change from my front view. I decided to keep a photo braces diary weekly and the picture from my first day to my up to now, there is no change. I've seen some pics for people on this site that have had very noticable changes before their next adjustment, but I guess everyone is different. You just have to be patient and realize that if things were supposed to change so fast, your plan wouldn't be for 2 years.
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

OnMyWay

#10 Post by OnMyWay »

I'm with you Montesser. I've been braced for 8 weeks now and there are no changes when comparing pictures from now with just before having teeth pulled. I'm wondering when the progress is going to start.

fins

#11 Post by fins »

I think it depends on what is done at each visit. I think I usually see movement just about every month in some way. Sometimes the movement takes place right before an adjustment too. I usually get quite a bit done each time I go in.
fins

leah

movement

#12 Post by leah »

I'm with Fins, Seems like every time I go something pretty big is being done. I really don't think I've ever not seen any movement embetween adjustments. Right now does seem to be the slowest- He's attempting to move my midline.
Best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

n216

#13 Post by n216 »

i have seen barely any movement on top i have two canines that need to be pulled back before he can alligne my top teeth this is frustrating becuase my one canine wont move at all its been three months my other canine is moving slow my bottom teeth are moving very fast though :roll:
spacers 9-19-05
braces 9-20-05

nvcarissa

#14 Post by nvcarissa »

My upper teeth actually show a lot of change. Though it seems like it took a couple of months for any change to happen. Then it happened quickly. But it has slowed down. At this point it is a matter of widening my bite a bit more, rotating some molars,etc. I can tell that my bite is getting better, more rounded.

The lower teeth on the other hand....grrr! There is one incisor that at nearly 8 months has still not straightened out. Yes, it has changed some, but for the amount of focus that one particular tooth has gotten, it is very disappointing. Still, I can see that once that tooth comes into line, things will be looking pretty good and perhaps I will be ready for surgery.

My bite overall is starting to line up.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Chris

#15 Post by Chris »

nvcarissa wrote:There is one incisor that at nearly 8 months has still not straightened out. Yes, it has changed some, but for the amount of focus that one particular tooth has gotten, it is very disappointing. .
I got a lower canine that is giving me trouble rotating. It has moved somewhat, but not completely and I've been in braces 1 1/2 yrs. I keep wishing he'd attach a wire and "yank" the thing into place. :lol: NOT!! :lol: :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007