Veneers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lpgapro

#16 Post by lpgapro »

Thanks KK!

It's all what you make of it. Things could be a whole lot worse and there are many others that are in a lot worse problems than I. It's very hard to complain about anything going down this road. There is a pot of gold at the end I'm sure. It's nice to be thankful that there are ways and means to fix it!

Accept the things you cannot change and the wisdom to know the difference................

Smile!

mary oregon

Not trying to "knock" veneers, just think people a

#17 Post by mary oregon »

I juist wanted to clarify, that I'm not trying to say all veneers are "bad" for everyone. I'm sure many people like them and have no problems, but the only three people I know who have had them for 5+ years have all told me that in hind sight they all wished they had never gotten them.

They all went to different cosmetic dentists and all have had different negative issues with them. The sad thing to me is that all three of these people had healthy and straight teeth before veneers. They had all had braces as teens also. They just didn't like their teeth because of size, shape and wanted that hollywood, big teeth grin. The same complaint they all have is that their choice caused an ongoing, expensive maintenance issue for the rest of their lives.

My friend actually told me that she had dreams of having her natural teeth back and would notice people's natural teeth and feel sick she'd never have her natural teeth back again. She has popped the front lateral incisor off three times now and her cosmetic dentist told her if it came off again, she would have to have it crowned. She doesn't want to have a crown up front as she is afraid it won't match the other veneers.

They don't tell about those possible issues on the makeover shows on television. I wonder how much dentists tell patients about the long term maintenance of veneers and possibilities of decay under the veneers. My three friends all became aware of these issues only after they had the veneers done. When I have seen those makeover shows, I've noticed that many of the people who are having the restorations done, haven't been able to afford dental care and have to have a lot of restorations because of it. I don't know how many of those people will be able to afford a new veneer for $1000 if they fracture it or the $6000 to replace them after 8-20 yrs.

It seems only responsible for dentists to be up front with patients and tell them the positives and negatives of any optional procedure in order for the patient to make the best choice for them and so they will have no lifetlong regrets. That seems sad when people think they are getting one thing and find out later they got completely something else and there isn't a thing they can do to change that choice.
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.

mary oregon

sorry for typos

#18 Post by mary oregon »

sorry for typos..... 18 month old crawling all over me like a monkey! OOOOPS!