Newbie: Introducing myself

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Geri

Newbie: Introducing myself

#1 Post by Geri »

Hi everyone

I have been reading the posts on this board for severals days and I thought it was time I introduced myself! I finally decided to take the plunge and get braced after years of smiling with closed lips in photos (I'm 34) and feeling self-conscious - especially after moving to America from the UK. I actually chickened out when I first read about some of the problems (and pain!) people here have experienced, but my wonderful husband persuaded me to at least speak with an ortho. I am so glad he did because today was my first consulation and I am now raring to go. The two weeks until my record taking appointment seems too far away! I was so excited today to finally be taking control of something that's bothered me for so long.

My parents-in-law visiting (for a month) at the time I am due to get my braces (early October) and am worried that I will be feeling miserable and unsociable if there is alot of discomfort. I feel I should put off getting them until after they leave but I really do want to get on and get them (sooner on, sooner off)! Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I am so grateful that this board exists - good luck to us all!

Geri
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

blondie

#2 Post by blondie »

hey, congratulations on your decision on getting braces. You might be kind of cranky and miserable for the first week at most when you get braces. I went to visit my parents right when i got my braces on and my stepdad thought I was depressed because I rarely talked but it was the canker sores more than anything! So just make sure no wires are poking you after they put your braces on. But after the week you'll be fine!
Get it done and overwith. Since the parents will be there for the whole month it'll be okay!

Stellar

#3 Post by Stellar »

Welcome Geri. I'm 48 and got braces a week ago. I'm in the middle of the main fundraiser at my daughter's school, meeting loads of prople. :) I also am having surgery on my leg 9-28-05. I decided to be braced now to get it over with before I chickened out again! :lol: Also, as you say, the sooner on, the sooner off! Get it done, things should go fine! Everyone will understand. :-#)
Spacers: Aug. 22, 2005
1 Wisdom Extraction: Aug. 27, 2005
Braced: Sept. 8, 2005
4 First Bicuspids Extraction: Sept. 9, 2005

Geri

#4 Post by Geri »

Awwwww - thanks Stellar, KK and Blondie....you don't know what it means to hear your words of encouragement! Thanks! I will go ahead, get it done!
:dance:

Wow- Stellar, if you can do all that I don't know what I was worrying about! Good luck with the surgery!

decisionmade

#5 Post by decisionmade »

Hi Geri, there are so many of us that can relate to what you are going through! Welcome to the boards! I'm 34 too and grew up in NH..i've been going through a lot to get myself braced at the end of this month and I say don't put it off another minute more than you have too..loved ones will understand and encourage you..Best wishes!
DM
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

giantfigure

#6 Post by giantfigure »

I delayed braces for years because of self-consciousness and social life...but when I finally got it...I realize people do not even care that I am wearing braces. In fact yesterday a friend of mine looked at my braces and her first reaction was..."wow you got braces. you gonna look even more handsome soon". How can I complaint about braces now! :D

I would say..go ahead. Do not delay on braces.
^^ Top ceramic, Bottom metal
^^ Duration of treatment: 18 months

Geri

#7 Post by Geri »

hey decisionmade and giant - thanks alot for your messages, it really means alot to me to hear your experiences and encouragement. I will remember this when I am an 'old hand' at the braces business and someone new comes along! :D

DM, we are getting our braces at around the same time (October 3rd for me) :D ! I know that I will be getting ceramic uppers, and then metal lowers (sometime later perhaps). The treatment plan appointment is scheduled for 28 September (the day my parents-in-law arrive)! I will post some pics soon.

Geri :rose:

decisionmade

#8 Post by decisionmade »

I'll look forward to following your story Geri! Take lots of pictures to keep track of your progress..I'll have ceramic uppers and lowers..yes our brace dates are so close will have to help eachother as we go along..I have pics posted within the link below...I've had to go through so much I brace day can't come soon enough:)..good luck!
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

BraceUrself

#9 Post by BraceUrself »

Geri-Welcome & Congrats on making the decision to finally take care of your smile! I can't believe how much in common we have-I will be 34(F) in Dec & I am also getting braced on Oct 3rd-we can be brace buddies-What do you say??? :D
Good luck to you on your new journey & with having the in-laws visit!
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

Geri

#10 Post by Geri »

hehehe - 'brace-buddies' sounds good BraceUrself. :-#) Looks like there are a few of us getting braces at around the same time. Helping each other sounds wonderful! It's so great to have this support. Good luck to you too!

I will take lots of pics, DM, and I'd like to see more of yours too! Congratulations for getting to where you have (I read your story - wow)....not long now! Good luck!

Geri

bub1958

#11 Post by bub1958 »

I say go ahead and get your braces. I have had mine foy 60 days and have had little or no pain or discomfort, except for a little irritation the 1st few days against the inside of my mouth. Maybe things will change this coming Wednesday when I get my lowers put on. :tingrin: The only regret that I have so far is that not that many people have noticed them, or maybe they feel that they may embarrass me if they coment on them. Believe me within a few days you will forget that you have them. Don't forget to have colored ligs. Good Luck, Bret :frogbraces:

Geri

#12 Post by Geri »

Thanks Bret - your post is really encouraging. I hope all us newbies have it so good!

I hope you adjust to your lowers as easily as you did to your uppers! Good luck!